Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning reloading dies?

Boolit Buddy
    I clean with brake cleaner and rag strips that I pass thru the die. I don't oil them though, I store them with VCI strips in their cases.

Boolit Grand Master

If I have to clean them they are disassembled and then shot w/ brake cleaner. There are less toxic solvents but it takes a minimal amount and no time to clean them. After that they are run through the tumbler, individually, for a coat of NuFinish. The most I usually have to do is clean the seating stem. And that's quick and easy to do.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a pistol rod, slotted tip and patch with whatever solvent, cleaner is near by. WD40, CLP, brake cleaner, Marvel Mystery Oil, ATF and acetone, kerosine, mineral spirits, ....it really doesn't take anything special to clean them. Use whatever is handy.
    I have even used Windex in a pinch...Gary

Carb cleaner works great. You have to lightly lube after you clean it but it works great. So does acetone.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

I use a pistol rod and kerosene if it is handy -- kerosene leave an oily enough residue to prevent rusting --

Boolit Man
    I use a brass brush if it's real nasty and then clean with a brass cleaning rod with a clean patch and wet with acetone. The acetone will dry almost immediately.Your lubed cases will be sufficient for sizing without overlubing.

Boolit Master
    Ed's red. Every time after using the resizing die. Sometimes the seater depending on the type of projectiles used. I use Lee's resizing lube mixed with alcohol and find it to attract moisture and rust develops inside the resizing die so hence my cleaning regime. The method used is much the same as a rifle or shotgun bore.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master

The chief cause of a die of mine needing cleaning is Lee Liquid Alox lubed bullets in a Seat die. It accumulates until the bullets start being seated deeper. Most of the actual cleaning I do is with a small screw driver. The ability of the Dillon seat die to be disassembled for cleaning, without losing adjustment, makes it clearly superior.

The other lube I use a lot is 50% Beeswax/50% Alox 2138F. Some of it will build up in the Seat die. Again, most of the cleaning work is done with a screw driver.

Toss'em in gasoline and go to work. Come home and fish'em out and lay on a rag. Go to work, get home and their dry. Inspect and use

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12