Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Any ideas for .223 starting loads?

Boolit Mold

Any ideas for .223 starting loads?

I recently bought a .223 Rem Savage 12FV. Yeeeeeeeaars ago I bought a Lyman mold #225415 (when the Ruger Mini-14 first came out!). With the price of jacketed bullets I've decided to try loading cast bullets for the .223 if for nothing else to fire-form my cases to my rifle. I would like to start with a medium velocity (1600-2200 fps) load. The twist on this gun is 1-9 1/2.

I'm not a neophyte to shooting cast bullets, however most of those I've shot have been in a handgun. The bullet style I'm casting uses a gas check. Because the neck of the .223 is so short I'll probably be loading the gas check below the base of the neck Is this going to be a problem?

I know one question will be: "What kind of lead are you using"? I do have some lino-type but will keep it forever. As Will Rogers talked about real estate - "They ain't making anymore." I have access to all of the wheel weights I want. However I stop at the the local gun club periodically and pick up 50-60 pounds of used bullets from the handgun bullet trap. I melt it down to ingots, fluxing it periodically with solder flux, and have used it for handgun bullets. Cast rifle bullets is a relatively new arena for me.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

License a right and it becomes a privilege.

Try about 12.2 gr of SR4759 with a standard SR primer and the boolit cast out of straight wheelweights (or equivalent) and seated out far enough to be very firmly seated into the rifling when you close the bolt. About 8.5 gr of Blue Dot also shows some promise. Fudge either up and down a couple of 0.2 or 0.3 gr steps and see which does better. As long as you're using a crimp-on gas check (Hornady or Gator) you should be alright. I usually use 50/50 WW/Lino for .22's when I get real serious. Cast LOTS of them when you get the mold working good, they disappear FAST.
    Rick

Boolit Master

Check teh articles section on castpics....../beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Mold

Thanks guys!

I do have some SR4759!

I'll give them a shot, so to speak

Boolit Mold
    8 grains of unique

Boolit Bub

.223 Rem cast load

55 grn Lyman RNFP GC - cast 0.225" from WW then oven heat treated - lubed with FWFBL
    IMR 3031 @ 18.0 grns
    CCI SM Rifle Mag primer
    Lee Factory Crimp

Shoots "Nickel" sized 5 shot groups from my Handi-Ultra Varmint @ 80 yds.
    Best I have been able to come up with for the .223 for a faster accurate CB load thus far - for me it is running around 2100fps (can't find my chrono notes at the moment). Drills sage rats with ease!

Eric

Boolit Bub
    try 10.0 grs 2400 I seat my bullets to engrave the rifling and #2 alloy shoots good