Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for a 6.5 100gr or less mould

Banned

.268 need, I do.

Boolit Grand Master

6.5x55 and wooden bullets sure jogged my memory. I ran across these guys and wooden bullets 20yrs ago or so when I was looking at stuff for my Gustav. https://www.samcoglobal.com/Ammo-swedish.html

My impression when reading about the wooden training ammo was that it would go 25yrds but they are blanks or intended to be used as blanks.

"The threaded muzzles on the Swedish Mausers were originally there to accept "blank shredders" that screwed onto the muzzles and broke up the wooden bullets."

I hadn't thought about them for quite a while and never fooled with them.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Using any powder that works well for blanks is usually considered a really bad idea for with a light lead bullet. As for the wood bullets - who knows what powder that is. Seems kinda risky to me - I'd dump the powder and use some pistol powder and your new slugs.

Good luck, GJ

Banned

Just finished trying 12gr of the wooden blank powder with the 57gr NOE mould.

Nice boom, no recoil, good accuracy, no leading.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I hope to be the owner and shooter of a 6.5x55 swedish caliber rifle shortly. I've been contemplating what cast bullet mold might work in a 1 in 8 twist barrel.

With such a fast twist rate, what kind of velocities can be expected before accuracy appears and disappears with a given bullet weight? I was thinking that with the smaller lead projectiles they might be spun into liquid lead-plasma if shot to fast. Is this why the OP's goal was just to load to "Gallery Load" velocities?

HollowPoint

Banned

Here are some pictures
    This picture is of primed cases after I pulled the red wooden bullet out and on the right is the seating die that I use and took the decapping rod out and ran it in the top backwards to use it as a bullet seater. This die seats and crimps.

Below is the picture that shows most everything. The projectiles are in the white tub on the left. Far upper right corner is the BLL that was sent to my by a member here. The sample I was begging for, now I have that little bottle and some Lee LLA and some johnson floor wax so I'll never be out. I have a buck shot in the bottle to help agitate. You see the NOE box center top, that has the push though sizer stuff in it, the parts you don't see are at work on the press. The red box containing the original wooden bullets. The scale pan has the flake powder from the pulled bullets, and finally you see a complete wooden blank and a complete 'gallery' load by me. 57gr gc'ed with 12gr of the gallery powder behind it.

lastly an upclose of the gallery load and the wooden blank. all of my bullets have GC's on them that one is not sized or GC'd yet

the part you don't see is the NOE neck expander plug in my Lee die to expand the neck and flair the mouth to get the bullet seated.
    Last edited by Blammer; 12-15-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Banned

velocity and spinning the bullet apart, not thought about.

I was creating a gallery load because I shot some milsurp gallery loads and had a ball! I thought the wooden bullet blanks would be just as much fun, but they were not as the bullets would not even hit the target 10 ft away.

Since I had a 1,000 of the wooden bullet ones... a project was born.

I suspect these gallery loads are really clocking along. There was a huge report when I shot my test loads. I'll break out the chrony and see what they are doing.

I may just work up a hi velocity load with these 57gr GC wonders.

FYI

NOE has a few of these mould in stock.

Boolit Master
    I finally got a sizer die for my 6.5. Right in the middle of getting ready for a big move so it will have to wait. Good thing is I will be able to test at home now instead of the club.