MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast bullet in a RUGER 77/44 -?????????---------------------

Boolit Master

Cast bullet in a RUGER 77/44 -?????????---------------------

Anyone out there shoot cast in the RUGER 77/44. Offered a good deal today on a really nice rifle with brass, dies, bullets and some after market sights.

I know my long 310gr LBT bullets won't work through the rotary magazine, but I have other molds such as one for the triple 4 that are the correct length.

If it won't shoot cast at least reasonably well, I'd not be interested.

Not after target rifle accuracy, but reasonable for max of about 100yds.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master

have the 77 in 357mag but have yet to fire it so not much help. interested to hear your results.

With a 280 gr WFN from LBT mine now shoots fantastic! 17.5 gr of 2400 is my load of choice.
    If this picture loads it is a group I shot a couple weeks ago. First shot is a shot from a freshly cleaned rifle, next three are what the rifle will do all day long. Shot at 100 yards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys!

I think I'll bring this one home.

Just had a casting session today, using two molds, one for the 275gr WFN for the triple 4 and the other a 180gr for the .40 B&C (S&W).

The triple four bullet has a nose length that should allow it to work well through the RUGER, so will load up some ammo and give it a try.

My 310gr LBT has tooooo long of a nose to work. Works great in my RedHawk, but that nose is long, too long for the RUGER rotary magazine.

Should be a great truck or 4 wheeler gun!

A 275gr Wide Flat Nose at 1500 of so fps will be a bit tough on the receiving end.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Coot: you can probably load those 310 LBT's in .44 Special Cases, and they'll fit the magazine.

I think you'll be happy with that 275 gr LBT however, and in the broader scheme of things, anything getting hit by a 275 gr boolit at 1500 fps is going to be hurting, and I doubt another 35 grs would make much difference.

I know the 250 gr LBTWFN's I shot in my Marlin at 200 meter Rams knocked those down with authority. I would assume that any meat would not live long after receiving one.

I am really starting to twitch over these guns, and they are moving to the top of my wish list fast.

With a Red Dot sight I think this gun would be too cool.

My .02

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Randy,

The 275gr mold is from Tom at Accurate Molds. The 310gr is an LBT mold.

The rifle came with a Skinner peep mounted in the rear sight position. I don't like the looks of Skinner peeps, although they seem quite popular. They appear fragile at the very least!

I'd like the type of Peep that mounts in the rear scope mount slot of the RUGER, but from what I read, that requires a taller front sight and I don't want to go there.

Will likely mount a scope of some type.

Will likely get ammo loaded this weekend.

Will try AA#9 and H110 to start with.

19gr of AA#9 pushed the 310gr out of a 5.5" RedHawk barrel at just over 1300fps, so a like amount behind the 275gr should move it right along.

Time/testing will answer those questions.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

P.S. ---- Yes, the special cases should do the job with the 310gr.

I shot 265 gr. 429244's with 22 gr of H110 today at steel silhouettes. 26/40 from my Marlin 1894CB Levergun. These are about 1.650 long so they wouldn't work in the Ruger. But loaded in Special Cases they would work at 1.550.

One thing amazed me about this load in that there was no powder left in the barrel after 40 shots. The barrel was perfectly clean and there was the classic lube star on the muzzle. I guess we'll keep that load.

It hit the 100 meter pigs so hard they literally flipped. Recoil with the Pachmayer Pad was very tolerable over 40 shots in about 1 1/2 hours.

Beartooth Bullets sells LBT's 250 gr WFN's in 100 round boxes for those who don't cast, and I have used them a couple of times to see if it was something to buy a mould for. They will work in the Ruger also. They are a pretty good design and would do just about anything you would hope to do with this gun.

The sight you were talking about is from NEGC and Brian Pearce used one when he tested these guns for Rifle Mag last year. No Front Sight change for that one.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I would pass on it as it is junk. Please post where it is.

Lol,fast forward to December 2018 and the old Coot is still trying to get the Ruger 77/44 to shoot.

Hi Coot.

Boolit Master
    I did NOT take any critters this Fall.

And have about decided that this rifle is a 100yd or a bit more rifle o frankly in spite of the fact that we like it and many times strive for it, a 100yds rifle DOES NOT NEED to shoot M.O.A. to be a successful game taker at that range. I took 2 deer during the 2017 season and both dropped where they stood!

First on at about 100yds, side to side complete pass through behind the shoulders. Dead right there!

Second was much closer facing me head on and I put the cast bullet into the neck. Again dead right there, the bullet penetrating the neck bones, the going on into a shoulder and exiting at the back of the shoulder.

Bullet, 275/280gr Wide Flat Nose at a muzzle velocity right at 1750fps.

That bullet gave me about a 3" group at 100yds.

After the elk season, the little RUGER 77/44 is what I carried for deer. It flat got er done with that cast bullet.

I did not test "J" bullets and have NO PLANS to do so. As with my .44 mag handgun and my 45/70, it is a cast bullet gun.

My barrel has never shown any signs of leading, ALWAYS remaining bright and shinny even at the highest velocity.

With the 280gr I was shooting .431, but did test at .432 with later tests. No advantage or disadvantage seen.

After the season, I ordered a new WFN mold in 240gr and as with the 280gr. cast, tested it with a bunch of powders.

The 240gr was a NO SHOW for accuracy so I went back to what I knew worked.

My 280gr tests showed H110 and Lil'Gun to give the most consistent accuracy, with the Lil'Gun having a bit of an accuracy edge.

Test velocities ranged mostly from the 1600s to the low 1900s

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

You might want to give Alliant 300 MP a try. It's a grain or three slower burning than H110/296. Excells in heavy for caliber bullets and longer barrels. I'm using it in a couple 357 mag rifles with 180 grain cast. My 77/357 runs at 1,750 fps with it. I run it with standard primers in most cases. Worthwhile trying magnums too for comparison as YMMV.

My 77/44 mimics Coot's rifle almost to the tee. I am shooting the very same 275/280 gr. WFN GC bullet but using 19.1 grs of W-296. That load gives me 1-7/8" to 2 inch groups at 100 yards in my Henry steel 44 mag. but only 2" to 3-1/2" groups in my 77/44 at 100 yards and 3/4" at 50 yards. I tried Lil Gun but accuracy was a tad worse in my rifle.Still,I feel that is a good enough accuracy load for the 100 yard rifle. I haven't took any deer with it yet as I have mainly been hunting with my JM Marlin 45-70 up to this point.Hard to give up an old friend but the 77/44 is a sweet little rifle and I think it deserves a chance.To get to this point,I have installed a Voquatersen trigger and sear and completely free floated the barrel back to the receiver and nothing more.I haven't lapped the bore as mine is smooth and shiny and doesn't lead up.
    I also have the same 240 gr. bullet such that Coot has and while my Henry shoots those just fine,my 77/44 will not,no matter what I experiment with.

Boolit Master
    Static line,

Are you sneaking in and barrowing my rifle when I'm napping??????? Almost sounding like a broken record here.

BABore, I tried the MP300 and it was a NO SHOW! Would gladly give away the mostly full pound I do have. Just proves again that each rifle is a rule unto itself.

CDOC

Good morning Crusty!! Guess I'm gonna have to jump in this fray as I bought a 77/44 late last year. I haven't tried any cast in it yet, but plan on doing some experimenting in the near future. I would like to take a deer with it next fall. So far I have only replace trigger sear, bolt appears ok, but I do need to float the barrel. Only 44 caliber mould I have is an Accurate 434260A. It drops nice fat bullets that do well in son's Black Hawk so I will start with it in the 77. May find that I go heavier as you have done, we shall see. Take care. JW

Boolit Master
    JW,
    I have a very WIDE selection of .44 moulds. When you're ready to start testing that 77/44 out, let me know, and I'll ship you up some samples to run through it.

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

JW,
    That is a nice fat bullet so if it shoots well through your 77/44,it'll do the job on deer.Old Coot and I shoot the Accurate 43-275 MG . So far,the accuracy is nothing to write home about with the 77/44 and cast bullets unless you want to call 3 inch plus groups 100 yards good.I've never shot Jacketed bullets out of mine yet.I don't think Coot has either.I've listened to Coot along the way in trying to get this thing to shoot and it has gotten me from 6 inch groups down to about 3 inch,plus or minus.Minus on a good day.I think the only thing we are doing different at this point is the powder that we use.I have found that W-296 works better for me over just about anything else I have found.I think Coot like Lil Gun but don't hold me to that.We both have tried the 240 gr. bullets from our Accurate mold,we have that same bullet too,but they are a no go in the 77/44. In my Henry steel 44 mag,they do fine.My only suggestion to you is that if you plan to hunt deer next year with your 77/44,start early in testing.Don't half step and wait till the last minute to do so because you just may have a job on your hands before you are satisfied.

Boolit Master
    Hey there Mule, long time since we face to faced! Not quite so long since we chatted on line.

Now, for some sample boolets, and being as how I owe you for helping me get some 2400 for testing/load development, I can supply you a batch of the 275/280gr Wide Flat Nose that I took deer with in the 2017 season.

If we get together, and I haven't already taken the wood to be checkered - hope that will happen early 2019 -, I'll even let you view - from a respectable distance of course - my recently returned - after about 35years - RUGER #1-.223 that I put together in the early 80s. I would ask that you bring a rag to prevent any drooling that would VERY likely occur. Triple A highly figured Black Walnut .

Anyway, if I can help you with some of my samples, somehow we can make that happen. Maybe drop on at your work place.?.?.?

By the way, if you want to try some MP300 powder, it was a no show for me and I have almost a LB. that I'd gladly pass along.

Later,

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I mounted Leupold 2x7 scopes on two 77/44s and sighted them in for a local family. They bought Win 240jhp white box. The rifle impressed me. The only 44 rifle I have at present is a 60s 1894SRC
    which shoots clover leafs at 60yds with 240 XTPs and 77/44 out shot it. We did shoot a box of my
    cast 240 Kieth/ Gas Check over 20.5gr of H-2400. These were for a Ruger Blackhawk I had traded off
    and I let boys shoot them up to save their JHPs for deer season. Sized .429 they shoot as well as the
    JHPs at 60 yds. Loads fit mag no problem. * Both boys got their deer with their 77/44s & JHPs. I have shot several deer with 240 cast Kieth out of Ruger SBH. I've had heavier cast bullets but see no need for them on deer but all mine have been shot at 40-50 yd range.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    Good morning Crusty!! Guess I'm gonna have to jump in this fray as I bought a 77/44 late last year. I haven't tried any cast in it yet, but plan on doing some experimenting in the near future. I would like to take a deer with it next fall. So far I have only replace trigger sear, bolt appears ok, but I do need to float the barrel. Only 44 caliber mould I have is an Accurate 434260A. It drops nice fat bullets that do well in son's Black Hawk so I will start with it in the 77. May find that I go heavier as you have done, we shall see. Take care. JW
    You know Coot? You poor guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast