MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canauba red lube smoke level

Boolit Grand Master

I believe CR is to hard for pan lubing. BAC is a better option if you want to pan lube.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using it on 370 grain .475's, and 310 grain .430's the last month. We have been doing some hunting load development. I had not noticed the Carnuba Red smoking at all with 300-MP.

I also shoot Defensive Pistol and ICORE Revolver matchs. We were noticing how badly the loads were smoking the last match. Real High Humidity. One of the guys was shooting coated bullets, and his loads were smoking as badly as everyone with grease groove bullets. My guess is the powder is a big contributor to the smoke.
    The 480 Ruger bullets have a large grease groove, and also get lube above the gas check. Several times as much lube as a 9mm. As I said I did not notice them smoking.

Before switching to Carnuba Red, I was using Blue Angel. The Carnuba Red seems to me to be softer than Blue Angel on the bullets. It does need a heater. I was lubing at around 80 degrees, and it was not anywhere close to soft.

Bob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    I am sorry but please enlighten me about the smoke problem that I see as a non problem? I guess it could be a problem if people only shoot at indoor ranges.
    Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I shoot USPSA revolver. Occasionally the course of fire might require me to shoot many shots quickly from a single location. Get the right sun angle and the smoke cloud from 6 or 12 shots can obscure the targets substantially.

Not everyone shoots the same as you (or I) do.
    Shoot some Black powder competition if you think bullet lube obscures targets. Skills for your comp is for training I thought.

Boolit Buddy
    I use Carnauba Red right down to low-pressure loads like .38 S&W and .455 Webley. It works GREAT. Unless you don't want to heat your luber (which you can do with a hairdryer or soldering iron), there is really no reason not to use it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Shoot some Black powder competition if you think bullet lube obscures targets. Skills for your comp is for training I thought.

USPSA is a game. It is pretty poor training to run into a room with 16 antagonists armed with a handgun.

That there are other games in which more smoke is generated than in the ones I play does not invalidate the point.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Banner Sponsor

Hello everybody, sorry I'm so late on the discussion here.

Carnauba Red can be a real pain to pan lube. It sticks to the bullets very well and also sticks to the pan.
    There are quite a few guys useing a mix of 2 parts BAC and 1 part Red. It is supposed to pan lube well and gets rid of some of the stickyness of BAC.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33euGUb8jFM
    Here is a youtube of someone useing the mix.
    I personally use the Red on everything that I shoot and have always had good luck with it.
    If you're useing a heater, leave it on until the body of the luber is warm and the lube starts to flow, then turn it off so the lube doesn't get too warm and start to cause a mess. When the lube starts to slow down, turn the heater back on...

I dip lube with Carnauba Red; grab by nose and dip into molten lube, size with a push thru die and peel off the excess lube donut on bottom of die every 10 bullets or so. I will do this for smaller numbers or when I do not want to change Star sizer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    if I have access to a heated base, should I just get the canauba red lube and use it for 9mm? or is it too hard for a 9mm load and I should go with the 2500 lube and not bother with the heater?
    I/

I have used CR for over 10 years in everything from 380 to 454 casull as well as about 10 K of a few 9mm & 38 super cast bullet designes , 3-saeco and 1 rcbs mould with no problems

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12