Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger Old Army Rebarrel Project

Perm-Banned
    thanks

You couid try soaking the cylinder & barrel in Kroil for a few days. then take a bore brush, unwind strands from a COPPER pot scrubber& wrap around it. scrub the bore & cylinder. You can use it in a low speed drill in the cylinder. When you get everything you can out the barrel & cylinder can be lapped to smooth out the worst pits
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

All gun stainless rusts that's the way it is, all must have protection same as chrome molly

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieOakley View Post
    Well, I called Ruger this morning. They won't have anything to do with our Old Army, except send us a user manual. Looks like we will be seeking a gunsmith to help us out. Thank you all for your help!
    We had a customer, who for one reason or another, decided to drill a hole into bore of his Ruger Super Blackhawk. After checking the usual sources, we couldn't find a factory new barrel to replace it. We decided to give Ruger a call.

Well, calling Ruger to purchase a barrel was a complete waste of time. They want you to send the gun in. That would have been fine, as the customer wanted a barrel and didn't care who did the work. The problem was that the nice lady on the end of the line wouldn't give us a quote over the phone for the cost of a barrel.

Ruger lists an install fee on their website, but not the cost of the barrel. We were able to determine the barrel might end up costing more than a couple hundred dollars, plus a $90 install fee, plus shipping to Ruger. We quickly ditched the idea of returning the gun to the factory. Instead, one of our guys scored a take off barrel from Lee's Gun parts for $50. We installed the replacement barrel, and in the end, the customer was happy.
    Last edited by John 242; 11-16-2015 at 01:57 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I may be wayyy off, but couldn't the barrel be relined?
    Domari Nolo

Perm-Banned
    drybal, you are right, contact john taylor a member here. it would be a good way to go. unless your dead set on precussion, then get a conversion cylinder, love mine for my ROA. in fact tomorrow im going over to a friend of mine and he is going to change the three springs in mine to the after market target springs. he has done several so it will be easy for him to do it. going to bring a bunch of handloads and then well do some shooting. ROA/s are worth getting fixed up as they are good strong shooters.

Boolit Master
    I disagree with all the folks who recommend getting a conversion cylinder. IMO it would be a better idea, for several reasons, to sell it and buy a Blackhawk. Probably cost less overall.

Boolit Buddy
    IMO, the best platform Ruger ever made is the ROA. You will soon find out why! If you can find one, get one.

Mike
    Last edited by HATCH; 08-08-2017 at 11:19 AM. Reason: tos# 5 violation

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    45 Dragoon is right. My ROA is the most accurate out of the box single-action I have ever owned. With Walt Kirst .45 ACP conversion cylinder you can shot either .45 ACP or .455 Webley in it, if you have other revolvers of that caliber, which I do. VERY satisfying and versatile, especially when you put Bowen sights on it so that you can actually zero those slow-moving 255-265-grain REAL BOOLITS at 700 fps!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

When my ROA lost accuracy after approx 43,000 rounds I had 10 1/2" of Shillen c/m fitted and continued for another 12,000 rounds. I stopped using it due to gas cutting almost 1/2 through the frame just near the cylinder gap!

I wrote Ruger and they were amased that anyone would shoot their ROA so much!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

This may sound dumb but what about fire lapping with fine valve grinding grease over the ball? About 10-15grs of 3F to push the ball slow? I had a blued one once and traded it for a Colt 3rd model dragoon(2nd Gen). I regretted that trade. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    I agree that the ROA is a great revolver. I really enjoy mine.... as a cap and ball revolver.
    But every time I see the ROA mentioned, the discussion immediately devolves to converting it to fire cartridges.
    I'm no purist, and if you have a ROA and want to convert it, have at it. It's your gun. But I've run across a lot of people who don't see the value in a c&b revolver, and seem to think it's worthless until it's converted. For those people, Ruger makes Blackhawks every day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12