Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What are your bug out guns

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I may be all wrong, but I do not understand the concept of trying to gear up to carry the gear you need to survive long term on foot, deciding which gun to carry would be the least of my worrys.
    I am not fit enough to carry a load out like some of you guys want
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned

I'm staying right here.

Boolit Mold

Only reason to carry a gun and ammo (and I do constantly) is to fight my way back to my truck where I have heavier guns and more ammo as well as a get home bag and a stash of food and water to fight my way home and bug in with all the preps.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Bugging out on foot is giving up and becoming a REFUGEE!

Ask the people migrating into Europe from Syria, Somalia, Sudan, Afghantistan, etc. how that is working out for them.

A BOB or GHB is only to support stealthy tactical movement from work to home, or from a primary location to an alternate or contingency shelter, refuge or redoubt which has been previously scouted and stocked.

It is not a plan to retreat into the hills and play Maquis.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Methinks it's going to get pretty crowded in "the hills" or wherever everyone is planning to retreat. Let em try to come get me in this swamp.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I dunno, I don't have a real bug out bag put together, just some emergency hurricane supplies since I live in the swamp of houston. I keep a disposable bersa 380 in my car as a last resort if I can't carry. I figure if I ever have to use it the police can keep it as long as they want, I'll just buy another from the pawn shop. Water/food for a week is minimum for me with a kiddo, I don't want him to ever go hungry.

I'm in the "sit it out camp," my gear is all setup and self sufficient for the most part at the house, I don't own any country land so I would just end up mooching off someone else and getting shot at for trespassing.

I'm not "bugging out". We'll settle the matter right here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Only purpose for keeping a bugout bag in the car is to insure I can get home.
    Same for me but for sake of discussion for the OP it would be an 8 twist 20 inch 223 AR 15 loaded with 77 grain bullets with a illuminated reticle scope. That covers me from zero to plus 500 yards.

On foot alone or in a small group is just an easy target.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    I also plan on bugging in at least until the riots, disease, lack of food, and clean water thins the zombie herd. But it seems to me that a lot of people choosing bug out guns are planning more for offensive military operations than the realities of bugging out in a major emergency. In most places grid lock, check points (either official or by criminals), and failed infrastructure (impassible roads or bridges out) will reduce you to travel by foot before you get very far.

If you are traveling alone or in a small family group your main plan for travel should be evasion and concealment rather than confrontation and conflict. You probably don't need a weapon with multiple hundreds of yards range because if they are that far away they should not even know you are there. As far as large quantities of man stopping ammunition just how many man sized targets do you expect to successfully engage while alone? The other problem that people tend to forget is reliability, in a survival situation dust, dirt, and lack of cleaning will be the most common conditions so gun selection must keep that in mind. In addition if you are traveling far you will need to hunt to supplement your food supply and that probably means small game although mid size to deer size game may be possible.

You need to pick whatever suits you but based on the above if I was bugging out my selection would probably be more like the following.

Long gun.
    A Savage model 24 in .22 long rifle over a 20 gauge shotgun. With iron sights and a wide sling for carrying over the shoulder or across the back. This is the primary game getter.

Hand guns.
    Two quality, i.e. S&W or Ruger, stainless steel revolvers with 6" to 8" barrels with iron sights in .357 Magnum caliber. Two of the same or similar guns means one can provide parts for the other if necessary.

One compact snub nose 2" barrel internal hammer pocket pistol in .357 magnum or .38 Special+P.

The hand guns should have appropriate holsters, retention type, right and left hand open carry for the long barreled, and a concealed type for the snub nose. at least two speed loaders with belt carriers for each gun. If you feel inclined add Crimson Trace laser sights as a back up to the iron sights just remember batteries die at the worst time.

Ammunition (minimum more if you can stand the weight).

For the long gun one box (50) each of .22 LR CCI Quiet, .22LR Subsonic hollow point, .22 LR High velocity HP, gives close, mid, and long range with the least noise signature. Ten 20 ga. Shotshell #5 or #6 shot, five 20 Ga. #3 buckshot, five 20 ga. slug shells, covers moving game and mid to large game capability. Total of 170 rounds.

For the handguns assuming 6 chamber cylinders (depending on gun selection it could be 5 to 8) a full cylinder plus two speed loaders will be 18 rounds per gun or 54 total. I would keep the cylinder and one speed loader loaded with hollow points and one speed loader loaded with full metal jacket for penetration if needed.

Total of 224 rounds, carry more if you want.

The thinking behind this selection is for evasion and concealment you want little sound and only a single discharge if possible (hard to determine direction from a single shot) because in a survival situation the sounds of gunfire will act as a maggot magnet drawing unwanted attention from every direction within ear shot. For reliability you want the simplest mechanical systems that are unlikely to break or jam in harsh conditions and revolvers are more reliable than semi autos. Also multiple guns means a greater likelihood that at least one will remain functional. Finally a choice of calibers and ammunition types will increase your chance of a successful hunt no matter what game you encounter. The handguns will be your primary defense if you can not evade or escape but as an individual or family group you don't want confrontation.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Buddy
    Not going to bugout. Going to stand my ground...to the end if need be.

Boolit Master
    Honestly I plan to shelter in place and in the event of rioters, looters protecting my home my go to would be my mossberg 500 loaded with buck shot and a box of shells at the ready. I'll have my xdm 40 as backup if I run out of shells. I have shot deer with buck shot and they drop dead rite there! only gun I have ever seen that kind of terminal performance! In the event of a more military style oponant I will honestly grab my 7mm mag. It will pass through body armor readily... sorry to be so dark in my response but this is what I think of when some one mentions "bugging out" now if I'm just gunna snap my noodle and go be a hermit, off grid mountain man (not that I have any disolusions of being able to walk into the woods and be able to live sustainably off the land) I would probly grab my 22 bolt rifle and suppressor and would Cache ammo all around what every area I planed on roaming.

Boolit Grand Master
    Living in the middle of nowhere, I also plan to bug in. All my neighbors shoot so it will be easy to set up a mutual aid/defense team. My place is the last one on the road, so I will be helping others if there are attacks. My place will be the one we retreat to. It is pretty well stocked.

If I/we get run-off, I am taking the Glock I always carry, and the AR with a battle vest full of mags. I have two UTV's for a getaway using logging roads and two tracks; and can load some stuff in them if I have time. I am too old to carry much. I have caches set up to draw from. If I get run off, the plan is to retake the place with who ever is left to help out.

Like others here, my home is my BOL. I cannot envision anywhere else to be and it was selected with that in mind.

If you live in a city, your chances of bugging our successfully are slim. But you may be left with no other choice. Just remember that weight is your enemy. Those 60 lb BOBs may be Ok for a young man but will tear you up. In that scenario, I would be packing a Glock 22 with the 9mm barrel conversion added (you can carry 25-30% more 9mm ammo over a .40), 4 loaded mags in 9mm, two empty for .40 (for use if you scounge .40 ammo). BTW, the reason the .40 mags are empty is that stuffing a mag of .40's into the 9mm under stress is a bad thing. The long gun would be an AR with Eotech, back up sights, and a battle vest full of loaded mags.

Boolit Master
    Dry bean/rice, books on herb ID (all ready know most) fire starter, water. Way to sleep out, cover, small tools ( pliers, adjustable wrench, hammer chisel, good knife, reg, phi-lips screw divers. Small saw. Cord and wire.

This would only be to move, plan is to stay and organize. If we as a group need to move we will. There are some 20-30 of us. Maybe over a hundred. We've been here (the family) for 76 years and have know reason to move. Fight not sure how or what to say. Plan is to work with locals. We should be okay for about two weeks to a month. One thing if your not willing to work, and share better run. No lazy back stabbing is going to be aloud. Only the old and small will get away with doing very little. Not looking forward to what can and may happen, but I see a storm coming, how bad ??? but we are planing as best we can.

Boolit Master

Only the old and small will get away with doing very little.
    The small will be busy learning the information and skills they will need and the old should be preparing to become the store of knowledge and the teachers of the small.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Back in march my lady fair expressed a desire to put a Red Dot type sight on her Ruger Mk III 22/45 (stainless 6" bull barrel, black frame, target sights)

A week later I discovered exactly what she was looking for, bought it, gave it to her for her birthday.

Which means her old Ruger was now mine. This has changed some of my thinking.

Shotgun would be primary, Rem 870 special trap 30" barrel, extra high comb, high vent rib, twin beads. It is still wearing Camo tape from my goose hunting days. Ruger Mk III pistol would be sidearm. I also have both slug and buckshot molds. Have been buying cheap 100 round Federal 2 3/4 7.5 shot at walmart. Some get stashed, some get opened and turned into slugs/buckshot.

Soon as I can get ahead on funds a bit I intend to get a roll crimper, and hulls.

Like many above being over 60 I have no illusions about running away to live in the woods.

Bug in, group up, stack them up in front of the door if I must. I am not going anywhere until there is no other option.

Boolit Master

Get yourself some Brass shot shell cases, they use large pistol primers and can be reloaded many many more times than plastic.
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Mag.../products/202/
    or
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...gauge?a=518023

Get your oversized wads from Circle Fly, here is their sizing chart:
    http://www.circlefly.com/html/wad_sizing_chart.html

A drop of sealant to hold the overshot wad in place so no crimp needed. Google and Youtube will show you how. Load with either smokeless or black powders.

For Black Powder load information:
    http://www.circlefly.com/html/bp_cartridges.html

For Black Powder load data:
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Rel...info/00MBRASS/
    Blacksmith

Banned
    Some of you have been reading too many comic books. Something to consider... nuclear warfare or EMP will take out your transportation unless you still own that 62 Jeep. Modern vehicles won't run. EMP by our government? What a good way to keep us controlled. Easy to round up and put into FEMA camps. You've mentioned fishing tackle but what about water? Got a 7-10 years supply of it? Do you really think your going to bug out? Where you going to go? Not going to get far on foot especially pulling your kids wagon loaded with 5K of assorted ammunition. Suggestion.... start digging a hole in the back yard for that underground shelter and once that is done stock the hell out of it. But then again they have equipment that would sense any type of building underground so the shelter isn't going to help much either. Might as well put your hands above your head high and walk outside so that the satelight high in the sky above you can get a good look at you.

Boolit Master

Too old to run.

I like it here more than you want to take it.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    Too old to run.

I like it here more than you want to take it.

There will be fewer coming for the next guy down the road than came to get me. A rifle behind every blade of grass makes it rough on the regular troops.
    Blacksmith

Blacksmith I totally agree sir.

Just spent 1100$ on a pair of Win 94's so my funds are a bit depleted.

But I am intending to get brass hulls for at least my 12 ga and would like to be able to get at least a box for the 16 ga and the 20 ga as well.

I have a box of the magtech .410 brass hulls and they are nice to work with.

Kind of waiting for BPI to get Red Dot back in at the same time I have some cash to spare.
    FIgured I'd put together a good order that would cover the basics at least for some time.

As far as wads, well for shot it is hard to beat plastic, but it isn't hard to find a piece of pipe or tubing the right size, sharpen it and use it to cut milk carton into overshot wads.

Just one of those things that I have not gotten around to yet. So little money comes in each month and so many places to spend it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast