Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What are your bug out guns

Banned
    Hickory,

IF I happen to be at The Mountain Lair, we can hold our mountaintop for a long time.

Otoh, IF I'm here in SA, it's Ft Sam Houston for me & my loved ones. = We're 3 minutes away & I seriously doubt that the MPs will turn a retired Provost Marshal & his 100% disabled lady away. - In point of fact, IF "push came to shove", the Fort's security force would likely dispatch an ambulance to transport her to BAMC.
    (Given a choice, I'll check her in at BAMC & then "join the party".)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 01-30-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Man
    Grand Forks, ND, USA, NA, Northern Hemisphere, Planet Earth, Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveSteamer View Post
    Only reason to carry a gun and ammo (and I do constantly) is to fight my way back to my truck where I have heavier guns and more ammo as well as a get home bag and a stash of food and water to fight my way home and bug in with all the preps.
    Sounds like my game plan, unless the vehicle isn't operational, then I'm "hoofin' it" home!

Under the premise that I had to bug out on foot, with just a backpack, and of course all my other camping gear. My choice of guns would be limited as I dont have a "collection", just the guns I use every day.

I'd take my marlin 60, 22 rifle. With the 22 rifle, you can carry a pretty large quantity of ammo, and it will get you all manner of small to medium critters to eat. Course we're talking, trying to lay low, and not involve ourselves in firefights. I would take a fair amount of ammo, maybe couple thousand rounds. Given this premise, my wife would be bugging out with me, and she could pack a thousand rounds also.

And I would take my 1911, 45 automatic. I carry it constantly now anyways, so... I'd be comfortable defending myself with it, should someone try to take any of my gear. I'd take the box of ammo I have for it. And soon as it was out of ammo, discard or stash it. Now If I had a 22 conversion for the 1911, it'd be quite a bit more useful.

Now, If I could have any guns of my choosing, It'd be a ruger 10-22 take down, 3 regular mags, and 6 banana mags. My reasoning for this weapon would be, I could stow the rifle in my pack to keep it safe. And with the banana mags, I could fend off folks for a short period of time.

And for a handgun, i'd choose a ruger blackhawk 357 with conversion 9mm cylinder. My reasoning behind this weapon would be that 9mm is the most common handgun caliber that might be scavenged, and 38 and 357 pretty close on the list.

Given the premise, that you might scavenge some ammo, a 12 gauge pump would be a good gun to have, except that the ammo is heavy and bulky.

Thats my take on it.

Interesting conversation. My plan, as I'm already "in the hills" is to bug in. Dig deep and ride out the crazy stuff. If I had to choose a gun it would be my Ricol 12ga O/U with 14" barrels and a whole set of gauge reducers for any ammo I can pick up along the way. Of course I would take my AR as well. I mean, who wouldn't?
    Fleeing is only a last resort option at best.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SuU1vKmx.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	192576
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goldall20copy1.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	192578
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SuU1vKmx.jpg  
    Last edited by finstr; 04-04-2017 at 09:16 PM.
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Mold
    I like to talk with my buds about this.what I would carry on foot heading for the deeper woods.Shew classic 59lb take down longbow in a pack with many arrows,Coonan 357 on one side BFR 454 on the other hip,PMR30 in a vest pocket and my Henry 22 carbine in my hand.3 boxes of ammo for the 454 and 357 and several hundred rounds of 22 and 22mag.I can carry this load and a walking stick that serves as a shooting rest.I could feed my family for a long time. two legged trouble is best just avoided if not the PMR30 with 30round mags will work fine.

Banned
    I dont agree. Somebody is just going to kill you and take your stuff if you're not properly set up for defense and know what to do. The main thing is to not be out and about in daylight, and to understand that starving dog packs, cats and people will have killed all the game within a month or so, killed the dogs, taken all the fish, eaten all the known-edible plants and be cannibals within 3 months. You need night vision, passive IR scanner, luminous sights, subsonic ammo, a sound suppressor, a fighting autorifle, concealable armor, solar charger. Netting is where it's at for "wild" food production, preferably a couple of baited net-weirs and a seine with which to move fish towards your weirs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Under the premise that I had to bug out on foot, with just a backpack, and of course all my other camping gear. My choice of guns would be limited as I dont have a "collection", just the guns I use every day.

I'd take my marlin 60, 22 rifle. With the 22 rifle, you can carry a pretty large quantity of ammo, and it will get you all manner of small to medium critters to eat. Course we're talking, trying to lay low, and not involve ourselves in firefights. I would take a fair amount of ammo, maybe couple thousand rounds. Given this premise, my wife would be bugging out with me, and she could pack a thousand rounds also.

And I would take my 1911, 45 automatic. I carry it constantly now anyways, so... I'd be comfortable defending myself with it, should someone try to take any of my gear. I'd take the box of ammo I have for it. And soon as it was out of ammo, discard or stash it. Now If I had a 22 conversion for the 1911, it'd be quite a bit more useful.

Now, If I could have any guns of my choosing, It'd be a ruger 10-22 take down, 3 regular mags, and 6 banana mags. My reasoning for this weapon would be, I could stow the rifle in my pack to keep it safe. And with the banana mags, I could fend off folks for a short period of time.

And for a handgun, i'd choose a ruger blackhawk 357 with conversion 9mm cylinder. My reasoning behind this weapon would be that 9mm is the most common handgun caliber that might be scavenged, and 38 and 357 pretty close on the list.

Given the premise, that you might scavenge some ammo, a 12 gauge pump would be a good gun to have, except that the ammo is heavy and bulky.

Thats my take on it.
    there wont be any game left after a couple of months, and if you have to fire 200 rds at people, you'll be doing so much wrong that only luck can save you, much less 2000 rds. If you "think" you want to trade with people, it better not happen for at least a year post ****, and you should cache your trading stock until then. .22's are 135 rds to the lb, so 2000 rds is almost 14 lbs. There's much more important stuff to be carrying/own, like a sound suppressor, night vision, soft armor.

Social skills are way more important than guns in a survival scenario...

Banned
    Bug out? Why? Dig in where you have ample ammunition, food, and shelter. Sorry me thinks some of you are smoking some of that funny weed from your responses. Quit trying to be little Rambo's and concentrate on logical thinking and you just might survive longer.

Banned
    over 90% of the population cannot bug in. The towns and cities will burn, have no water and 90+% are urban. They will be forced out into the rural areas, which means that the farmers and ranchers can't bug in, either, since they'll be out-numbered by 30 to 1. You'll have to leave, but you need not go far. Just to the woods around your local water source, where you can have spiderholes, and buried food and gear. Any of the holes, once you're inside of it, can be expanded into a horizontal tunnel, 6 ft per day, with a foot of dirt over your head. Stay underground during daylight hours. If you buy grain and legumes direct from the farmers, during harvest season, a day's food for an adult will run about $1 each. $10 for 50 lbs of same, about 600 calories per lb. So you'll need 4 lbs per day of it, plus a bit of powdered milk, Tang, powdered gatorade, honey, salt, a vitamin mineral pill. 6 months worth of same is not all that bulky, a few 35 gallon drums is all. Get it buried and stop worrying about it.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m staying on my homestead (pigs, chickens, rabbits, and beagles) as for water we have natural springs all over KY(4-5 alone on my property)

BUT my guns are my Ruger PC-9 with 5-6 33 rounders of ammo (Glock mags) and my Ruger Ranch rifle in 7.62x39 it shoots AMAZING!! I highly suggest getting one

Boolit Master
    All of them.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    I’m staying on my homestead (pigs, chickens, rabbits, and beagles) as for water we have natural springs all over KY(4-5 alone on my property)

BUT my guns are my Ruger PC-9 with 5-6 33 rounders of ammo (Glock mags) and my Ruger Ranch rifle in 7.62x39 it shoots AMAZING!! I highly suggest getting one
    Things would have to get really bad for me to eat a beagle...LOL
    Don Verna

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I am to old fat and in bad health to bug out so i guess i will just set where i am at and oblige the bad people to come to me i live just outside city but on the edge of a swamp so not quite in the thick of things . Have been here for a long time so know neighbor's well . So just have to do best i can.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Things would have to get really bad for me to eat a beagle...LOL
    Don't buy street food in Korea, Thailand or Vietnam then...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I won't even eat in these restaurant's here. But in all honesty there are a lot of places i wouldn't eat anymore. They run a segment on news about code violations at local restaurant's

Banned
    the livestock will all be eaten within a month of ****, by people, dog packs, cats. Then the dogs and cats will be eaten by people. You're just kidding yourself if you "think" otherwise. You wont be taking much of anything and going anywhere, cause all it takes to stop 4 wheeled traffic is some 3" nails and 1" sticks or timber. The flat-tired cars will pile up and you wont be going around them. If you stop to remove the tire-flatteners, or to turn around, you'll get shot-up. Nobody is going more than a mile or so with 4 flat tires and not fast, either. so they'll just follow and kill you. your stuff has to already be buried at your BOL, or you wont have it, plain and simple

Banned
    NOBODY, anywhere, knows who all is living within 30 miles of them, and that's ONE day's walk. If they have bicycles, 1 day can be 200 miles, on pavement, no problem at all. All 3200 miles of the US has been crossed in 8 days on a bicycle, google it. If you get an aerial map of your area, you'll see all kinds of housing, etc that you had no idea was within 30 miles of your home, much less who all might be living there. That claim is TOTAL **, on the face of it.

Majik, I've done some research into prepping and I know much of what you're saying. You say that the game will all be killed... I am not so sure. The reason I say that is, not many people can hunt anymore, or even shoot decent. Back in the depression, sure folks killed all the game off, but everyone back then were used to hunting and shooting. Now, I imagine folks will decimate the farms and eat all the dogs, but really very few will be able to successfully take game. As soon as the pressure starts deer will just change their patterns and move at night just like they do during modern gun hunting season. Do I think the game will be thinned...yes, but wiped out...no. I figure most folks will starve out before they get good enough to hunt the game to extinction.

As far as moving at night and living in spider holes, that's one way. There are other ways though. Join forces with the neighbors is one, and probably the best. Laying low will be paramount though in all cases. Bugging in is the only options folks like me have, with my elderly mom and sickly wife. Storing food and water and having a plan is important.

The most important part of the plan is trusting in God and keeping your faith and hope, while preparing the best you can.

Fact is, the original question wasn't about how to survive when society collapses. It was about which gun you'd take if you had to leave on foot. So which kind would you take?

I encourage anyone that is interested in prepping to obtain and read a book entitled Strategic Relocation by Joel Skousen.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast