MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Ruger SBH Hunter barrel problem, not aligned

Boolit Mold

Ruger SBH Hunter barrel problem, not aligned

Hey everyone, Just got done lapping scope rings and mounting a Leupold 2x20 on my SBH hunter 44 mag I got a few months ago. Chasing down some accuracy issues and figured getting perfect scope alignment and contact would eliminate one variable. While mounting the scope I used my wheeler scope level kit, set pistol in a padded vice and leveled scope to the rail ontop of the barrel (hunter model). After torquing everything I noticed right away bringing it up to eye that the scope was canted waaay off. Removed the scope and checked the barrel rail alignment to the top strap and grip frame . . . turns out the whole barrel is canted quite a bit.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this before? Now what . . . don't want to be without my .44 for 2-3 months right as hunting season is getting ready to start! Hmmm . . . any ideas? Maybe a gun smith can torque it into alignment at his shop, then again don't want ruger to give me a hard time about letting someone else work on it if it does come down to a warranty job.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [/IMG]

Boolit Master

not at all uncommon to find the barrel improperly indexed on a ruger revolver, happens way too frequently. any decent gunsmith or even ruger can fix it for you.