RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Plate carrier anti spalling- cheap

Boolit Bub

Plate carrier anti spalling- cheap

I bought an eagle plate carrier and some at-500 plates for it. They're heavier the hell but I don't like the fragility of ceramic plates and the expectation date. Anyway I was concerned about spalling so I stuck one of the plates in a plastic show bin poured rhino lining on it. Let it dry took it to the range and 50 yards and no spalling at all. It's cheap and effective for anyone with steel plates

In Remembrance
    Spalling?? I assume you are referring to some sort of body armour.

Boolit Master

He probably means AR-500, not AT-500. AR-500 is a type of hardened steel plate. Bullets that would normally punch through mild steel end up splattering on the AR-500 plate. This splattering is what he means by spalling. These new smaller projectiles are going to now travel sideways along the plate and depending upon where your body might be, you could be hit by it. Various manufacturers have made coverings in an attempt to minimize the damage called by spalling. Some have some type of fabric cover -- kevlar, ballistic nylon, etc. Others use some sort of truck bed spray-on coating like the OP is suggesting in his post.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 09-12-2015 at 01:32 AM.

In Remembrance
    LOL Very familiar with ar 500, but I don't want to be dressed in it. lol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    LOL Very familiar with ar 500, but I don't want to be dressed in it. lol
    I suspect that if someone was shooting at you with a .223, you might have a different opinion?

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I suspect that if someone was shooting at you with a .223, you might have a different opinion?
    True enough, I suppose if I knew I was going to get shot at, I woulod probably wear it. Then again I have a knack for avoiding getting shot at if I know it is coming. lol

Vendor Sponsor

Spalling in this case I believe is bullet splatter.. as mentioned above.. Trying to lessen the flying particles
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy

did the OP shoot his own body armor plate to test it? if so props to him for being thorough

Boolit Bub
    Yep. I ordered an extra plate. If anyone is interested I can post some pictures. I think I have a video too.
    Smoke4320 is correct. I was trying to reduce the bullet fragmentation. I tested with and without and it was noticeably different. They weight isn't light by any means but it's not terrible.

Boolit Master

Put some balloons to the left and right and above, a few inches forward of the plate to see if your arms and head would be hit. Those frags have to go somewhere, most non-ballistic material will not catch it all, but may keep it from being lethal.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Bub
    So I found a video of when I cut into the Rhino lining to see what was in there. I was 50 yards away, shot it with a 55gr. 223. out of an AR 1-9 twist, I put the plate in a box and shot it once without the lining and once with. I put a manilla folder around the box when doing the test without the lining and there were holes and burns everywhere. Also with the lining I had 3 holes that were in the box. There was black stuff on the box, some kind of burning, as far as the wholes, I would error on the side of caution and say they're fragmentation pieces, but it could be pieces of the Rhino lining.

I have video and if someone can tell me how to post it, I don't have it on youtube or anything, I can post the videos of it.

It is my understanding you have to have it uploaded to a site and basically link it to your post :/ Would love to see the video because I was having the same thoughts!

Or you can look and see if one of the existing youtube video's match your experience
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...palling+armor+

like this one
    Last edited by Artful; 02-16-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    there are companies out there that are applying this for that very reason. Not dinging your creativity just saying you can get it as a factory option.
    Those stress balls really work..... When you get to shove them down a persons throat.