RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My unwanted thundering herd

Dog proof trap on a short chain and a thump on the head with a baseball bat when you catch them.

Boolit Grand Master

In the barns and out buildings Dad uses a mixture of purple marlin fly bait and coca cola. Coons woodchucks possoms normally are found within 5 feet of the mixture. You do need to keep it away from pets. I dont care for poisoning but it is sometimes the only way. Get carcasses picked up and disposed of so other animals cant get to them as you can poison the whole eco system.

Boolit Master

The problem with poison is they might die in the attic out of reach. I am often reminded how smart and tough they are. I sometimes have to dispatch one. They have a tough hide. I use a 12 ga. with #4 buck. But I don't live in the city.

Moderator Emeritus

22lr works but have to hit them in the head! Otherwise it might just bounce off the fat and hide!

Boolit Master
    Here in IL the game warden will do nothing, most local animal control offices don't do pest removal.
    You can only trap during trapping season, with license or you may be able to get a nuisance permit from the DNR.

The local animal control may have traps available, if you tell them you have stray cats.

I did the research when my folks were having an issue with 'Rocky' and my mom brought up the legalities of it, she had done a little research and all the pest control places love to mention that it is illegal to trap.
    They don't tell you there are legal ways around it, I wonder why?

Afterwards I just laughed.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Years ago my barber started a business of removing critters from your home.

He immediately found that just trapping coons and releasing them into the local woods did not work as they were back in a day or two.

He started spray painting a color on them to tell him how far he had to remove them before they would find their way back to YOUR home.

25 miles was the MINIMUM if he never wanted to see them again.

Amazing critters and they are not dumb.

Sure wish I had kept my critter trap.

Catch one cover the trap with a big black construction bag and drive out into the boonies.

Park the car and pump up the air rifle.

Remove the bag and POP one to the head and problem is solved PERMANENTLY..

If you dump the remains in the nearest ditch the local critters will say thank you for their FREE meal.
    Last edited by Bad Water Bill; 09-20-2015 at 09:42 AM.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

I am not positive about this but, check with your local animal control office, they may have live traps that hey lend out.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

In Ohio and most states relocating live trapped wild animaals is actually illegal with out a quarintine or inspection. This is due to the fact certain areas may have radies distemper or other diseases and relocating spreads the disease much faster and farther in a short time than nature would normally, think a short trip in the car of 30-40 miles just moved it that far in a short time. Live traps sound good but create other issues to deal with. Local game warden told Dad this regaurding wild animals. Most states allow for nuisance animals to be disposed of

This is the part of Bills response I was responding to:

Sure wish I had kept my critter trap.

Catch one cover the trap with a big black construction bag and drive out into the boonies.

Park the car and pump up the air rifle.

Remove the bag and POP one to the head and problem is solved PERMANENTLY.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    In Ohio and most states relocating live trapped wild animaals is actually illegal with out a quarintine or inspection. This is due to the fact certain areas may have radies distemper or other diseases and relocating spreads the disease much faster and farther in a short time than nature would normally, think a short trip in the car of 30-40 miles just moved it that far in a short time. Live traps sound good but create other issues to deal with. Local game warden told Dad this regaurding wild animals. Most states allow for nuisance animals to be disposed of
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

As for what I would do is set 220 in the hole and after remove and find a place for the body and do not say anything to anyone and just keep doing that you will get them or the rest will learn to not come back ,do not try to find a new home for the live ones,they will find there way back like is stated.put end to them and then problems are not anymore.Also if it is a female she might have young ones with her also.If there is a path or trail you find them travel to get to on the roof that would be and best place to start to set a trap but put it in a open ends box with the trap fix to be inside that the springs will be able to open and if you make the box long enough you can set a trap at each end and have some thing sweet in the middle and a trail to the center you will get them and will not have to shoot any if you use a 220,just remember that trap will kill what ever that get it head in it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    A friend once had a large boar coon giving him fits. His efforts to discourage the coon's late-evening raids had little effect on the obviously educated marauder.
    It seemed that the beast didn't understand AC electricity very well, though. A dedicated breaker and a little bare wire in the right place found the breaker kicked off and vandal stiff one morning... I was told that there was a well-defined scorch mark across his hand where he had grabbed the lead that was wired to the opposite side of the breaker from the metal framework he stood on.
    It would be easy enough to rig 2 wires high enough on a tree where pets wouldn't have access... as long as you don't have cats climbing the same tree.

Boolit Master

Well I've used mothballs,live trap is the best way bait it is dry dog food
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

I've read that a live trap and a 55 gallon barrel of water works well. Even for skunks. Trap them and toss a tarp over the trap. Drop trap and all in the barrel. Drowns coons, skunks, feral cats, etc. in the city with no gunshot noise or other hassles. A hole in the garden for a proper burial and it's a done job.
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Buddy
    A good ole fashion electric fence shocker around the entrance will help.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotashooter2 View Post
    Dog proof trap on a short chain and a thump on the head with a baseball bat when you catch them.
    that but use a big hammer, steel pipe or pick axe handle , the bat I had just seemed to have to much give and bounced of their heads to much

I trap coon in the the city limits , with a city trapping permit , I went to just carrying my 28oz eastwing framing hammer , trap , stakes and bait , I opened the end of the claw up just a bit with a grinder to fit the 3/8 inch re-bar stakes with a 1/2 inch nut beat on them that way I had my all in one tool

for bait I use a washed out and dried milk jug filled with dry dog food , a healthy squirt of fish oil and a few drops of liquid smoke shake it up , and it pours right into a DP without ever touching it with your hands

sometimes you get a cat but you just hold them down by the neck and release the foot with the other hand , if they wouldn't let you get close to hold them down with a gloved hand then they are a feral and its hammer time.
    Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 09-11-2015 at 09:32 AM.
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

Boolit Grand Master

Marshmellows will really attract coons and wood chucks also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12