Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stuck ball puller came unthreaded, help

Banned
    Ladies its a little sarcasm.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm a firm believer that if you can't keep your head in the game you have no business owning guns or reloading. Some shouldn't be allowed near any power tools or lawn mowers.
    I've dry balled enough times over the years I figure I've probably saved ten pounds of powder.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    you will. it's inevitable IF you shoot on a fairly regular basis, particularly in the company of friends and/or other shooters.

actually, it's a rite of passage and means "you have arrived". looking forward to having you join the club.
    well, thank you. rfd. I guess that because I rarely am distracted by others around me, has kept me focused on the chore at hand. Not bragging, but I guess you could say I am completely aware of what I am doing while loading. I will admit, that getting distracted is the #1 cause.

Boolit Grand Master

Dry balling is like cross firing in a match. There are those that have and those about to LOL. The big thing is when it happens is to know what to do and how to do it. At a match or in the field hunting the grease gun isnt really a viable option. A handled rod with screw type puller or co2 set up is better suited.

Sometimes pulling the nipple will allow you to work some powder in thru the flash hole channel and fire the ball out. Every possibles bag / kit should have a nipple wrench, appropriate ball puller, And other accouterments in it.

Boolit Master

dry ball

all I can say.

Boolit Master
    one match I dry balled 3 times. I shoot a under hammer so no problem pull the nipple put some powder in shoot it out. although one did say this was a muzzle loading match not a breach loading.

Boolit Grand Master

For flinters I made a modified C clamp with an air nozzle for a compressor and for percussion I use a modified nipple. For a rod puller I make a one piece unit with wood screw on one end and the other turned to 10-32 and a brass centering collar. My rod for these is a slide hammer type and I pre drill the ball so the wood screw won't expand the ball.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Zerk fitting same thread as nipple. replace nipple with it then usea grease gun and pump the ball out.
    This!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not proud (but honest) in stating that i'm a multiple offender of dryballs. I get together with 3 other bp muzzleload guys at my gun club and we just have SO much fun. Very light hearted shoot. And while you try your best to stay focused on the tasks at hand, at some point throught distraction steps get forgotten ! Its all good.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    This!!!!
    What he said. THEN point barrel in trash can, use compressed air to get the grease out!

Welcome to the dry ball club!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234