Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Recall on imr 4007ssc

Recall on imr 4007ssc

JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Wow! Thanks for getting the word out!

Boolit Master

Scary!! Great heads up!

I was just going to post about this also .Glad it is out there already.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    There are reports from months back of this problem being known. It's probably taken this long to narrow down the lot numbers.
    Reports are the decomposing powder has actually ruined plastic powder throwers or anything that it was stored in. Including loaded ammunition, turning the brass and jacketed projectile green.
    Benny

Moderator Emeritus

THANKS! I've got a pound to try in my grandson's 7/08, and that comment about "spontaneous combustion" really got my attention! It's sitting in the midst of a sizable poundage of other powders, and if one goes, they ALL go. Never been concerned about a fire 'cause if it gets hot enough to ignite the powder, the home is gone anyway, so it'll make little real difference, really, but spontaneous combustion is a factor in many chemicals, and in powders, it's DANG SCARY!!! Appreciate the notice, VERY much!

Boolit Master

I now have 5lbs of liquid fertilizer...I loved 4007SSC in cast boolits and had a stockage filled up after I read they retired the powder last year.

Well at least my front yard will be greener for it...

I think I'm going to ask for their 8208XBR as the replacement powder as its been giving me good accuracy and velocity in my initial tests of my 6.5 Grendel.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I did not know they retired 4007. I had always wanted to try it. It seemed like a good cast boolit powder.

Boolit Master
    I wonder what is so different about the powder from these lot numbers and if other lot numbers will be identified later?

Boolit Mold
    Making nitrocellulose involves nitrating cellulose with nitric and sulfuric acid, after which it is thoroughly washed, and stabilizing agents like diphenylamine are added. If the washing is incomplete, or not enough stabilizer is added, or the cellulose is over-nitrated owing to too high a temperature, the nitrocellulose can and will spontaneously decompose. Somewhere in the processing of these particular batches something got screwed up.

Boolit Master

That is why I prefer powders with 75 or 100 years of testing behind them. Give me 3031 and I will be happy, keep the latest / greatest stuff.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Moderator Emeritus

Not a bad principle to go by FR, but I'm tending to hold back the older, possibly more stable powders, and just use up what I can get of the newer stuff. Some of them are pretty good. This 4007 thing appears to be an anomaly right now, but we'll see with some time, I think? What concerns me is the replacement of the traditional solvents with apparently newer ones that break down more easily so the EPA wont' price them out of business with their requirements of the waste disposal, which with the admin we have now would cause NO tears on their part, and may actually be pursued avidly.

This boils down to a very political issue, and though I know this isn't the political forum, it's just part and parcel of the subject matter covered here these days. With an admin hostile toward private ownership and the ability to defend ourselves, if they can't get our guns, maybe they'd settle for making all powder and maybe primers self-disposing? Not outside the realm of possibility, and even probability these days, it seems.

So, I just think it's wiser to use up the new stuff and keep the older stuff back ... just in case? Just a thought, anyway.

Boolit Mold
    I finished my claim to IMR on a pound of 4007 I had. I talked to a real person who reloads. He was very helpful and the whole thing was painless. I would not wish to see it happen again but I would much rather have a recall from IMR then Ford.

Boolit Mold
    Just to follow up. I had a replacement powder within 10 days. all in all I will say Hogdgon is as good as their word.

Boolit Master

Yes, the replacement powders came in the mail this week for me as well. They are standing up to the recall offer.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

That is good to hear Bruce.