Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: chain saw chuckle yesterday

Banned

chain saw chuckle yesterday

got a good chuckle yesterday. the neighbor lady called me over to look at her husbands stuff and see if I wanted anything. He died last winter. In the pile was a homlite xl that looked brand new. the bar didn't even have a scratch on it. It had a tag on it that said "doesn't run" I figured id take it home and look at it. First thing I did was went to dump the old gas. What do you think came out of the gas tank? Chain oil!! Yup gas in the oil tank. (you would have had to know him). Tore it apart cleaned the carb put it back together and it fired on the 3 crank. Its a small saw with a 14 inch bar that will work well just staying in the jeep. You wouldn't believe the stuff we found. I think everytime he needed a hand tool or power tool he went and bought a new one instead of digging up his old one. He had 7 cordless drills there! I also scored a like new mtd 3.5 hp tiller that was sitting because he lost the gas cap according to his wife. Started right up and ran great. Just need a cap. Paint was still on the tines. Wish I had money to @@@@ away like that.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some people have more money than sense.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Dad's buddy gave my brother a chain saw that just wouldn't cut.. sharpened the blade twice and it's just no good. My brother took it home and turned the chain around the right way and has been using it for 10 years. Another mechanicly inclined individual.

Boolit Master
    Haha I wish I had your neighbor LLoyd. A hell of a lot better than running to the hardware store when I need something. I had one of those old Homelite XL 14" saws .... ran great but was a 16:1 gas to oil ratio if I remember...bought it new in '75. I gave it to a neighbor who still uses it occasionally.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Dad's buddy gave my brother a chain saw that just wouldn't cut.. sharpened the blade twice and it's just no good. My brother took it home and turned the chain around the right way and has been using it for 10 years. Another mechanicly inclined individual.
    But I would bet that it would cut like crazy of underside of a limb cutting! People that don`t use gas/oil fuel mix also astounds me.Robert

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I found one of those at the dumpsters. Same solution!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    But I would bet that it would cut like crazy of underside of a limb cutting! People that don`t use gas/oil fuel mix also astounds me.Robert
    Nope still backwards.

Banned

hate to say it rick but he aint no born yopper. He came up after retiring from ford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    Haha I wish I had your neighbor LLoyd. A hell of a lot better than running to the hardware store when I need something. I had one of those old Homelite XL 14" saws .... ran great but was a 16:1 gas to oil ratio if I remember...bought it new in '75. I gave it to a neighbor who still uses it occasionally.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    hate to say it rick but he aint no born yopper. He came up after retiring from ford.
    What can I say?...I understand your pain....LOL....I am guilty as charged...a troll.....wanted to move but my wife put the kibosh to that. Instead I come up for maybe 6 wks of the year and chase warm furry things in the woods. Only been hunting God's country for 36 yrs. Its' just as well, I'm not tough enough to live up there anyway.

In Remembrance
    Lmao. maybe figure out how to get the motor to run backwards. lol

I knew a guy that mowed lawns, and some odd jobs for a living, exactly zero mechanical aptitude. He bought a new saw and went back to the saw shop EVERY time he needed to mix a gallon of gas to ask how much oil to put in it. The guy that owned the saw shop, told me he wished he had never sold it to him. lol

Banned
    More money than sense.
    An acquaintance delivered a car on a roll back truck to his bosses farm and had instructions to put the car in the garage.
    When he arrived there was a brand new John Deere tractor blocking the garage door. We're talking one of those big 4wd tractors with a cab that costs about as much as a small house. He got out of the wrecker, started the tractor and moved it out of the way and left it running while he went back and unloaded the car.
    The owner came out and asked how he started the tractor and the guy said the, "the keys were in it". The owner said he knew the keys were in it but he didn't know how to start it!! He then asked for a lesson on how to start the extremely expensive tractor he had just purchased. That's more money than sense.

Boolit Master

Good score! Wish I had neighbors like that.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master
    Once was given a Lawn Boy mower , in good shape, except that it was broken (broken wheel that is). Had a junker mower I kept for parts. Took the wheel off the junker and put it on the "gift" mower and ran the thing for another 15 years.

Boolit Master

I bought a homelite xl Super 2 with 16" bar over 35 years ago. I have lost track of the number of chains and bars I have replaced. It still starts second pull.
    1/2 the size and weight of the modern lightweight saws...
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Lmao. maybe figure out how to get the motor to run backwards. lol
    I had a Bultaco that would run backwards if you bump started it backwards. Timing was off a little, it started backwards once when I kicked it then I figured out the rolling it back to start it in reverse. You could start it then let a friend that wasn't paying attention try it, being sure to tell him that you need to really rev it when you take off. Ha good times.

Boolit Master

That's terrible bdicki - treating a friend like that. Almost as bad as handing an ole single shot break-open firearm to a friend to see if he knows how to break it open. Of course the correct way is to pull back on the trigger guard but who in the hell would do that? Well, you just put your thumb on the front sight and tell him this is the "secret" so you push on the front sight and pull back on the trigger guard at the same time - presto - For those not quite up to speed on firearms, well, they damn near tear their thumb off pushing on that small, sharp front sight.

In Remembrance

My bad! I was thinking in reverse again. That`s what I get for thinking~Robert

In Remembrance
    I think any two stroke motors will run backwards, lots of snow machines, boat motors and golfcart motors were designed to start backwards for reverse instead of having a transmission. Even the detroit diesels would bump start backwards, but you couldn't run them that way long because of the oil pump.

Merc run backwards for reverse. Was real interesting if It didn't restart at the dock approach.
    Whatever!

In Remembrance
    Yup, I had an old 80 horse merc like that.