Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Say *NO* to OREO!

Vendor Sponsor

Just Say *NO* to OREO!

Time to put those Oreo cookies back on the shelf and switch to another brand..

http://inthesetimes.com/working/entr...-union-busting

From Marilyn Katz:

I may have to give up one of my longest-standing indulgences: the dunking of an Oreo cookie in cold milk (whole is preferred). I don’t do this lightly, as I have been dunking those deliciously wicked rounds of chocolate and what I choose to believe is cream since I’ve been three.

Why give them up? Because this week, Irene Rosenfeld, the head of Mondolez (the food conglomerate based in Illinois that has Nabisco in its portfolio), a woman touted for breaking the glass ceiling upon becoming the head of Kraft Foods and then its spin off, announced that rather than invest $130 million in modernizing the plant in Chicago, where Oreos have been lovingly produced for the past 100 years, she will instead move the jobs to a new factory in Mexico. The result: a loss of 600 well-paying and community-sustaining jobs on Chicago’s Southwest Side.

Is giving up Oreos a foolish and futile gesture? Of course, I know that other Chicago-born companies have made similar moves. I, like many Chicagoans felt a loss when Frango Mints were no longer hand made on the top floor of Marshall Field’s—and felt worse when Marshall Field’s ceased to exist at all. I was saddened when Klaus Suchard chose to take Brach candy production from Chicago, and in so doing ended Chicago’s title as candy capital of the world. I even regretted the loss of the city’s steel mills and stockyards, despite the cleaner air that their exodus brought.

But this seems different. Perhaps it was reading the May stories of Rosenfeld’s report to shareholders in which she touted the upward trajectory of the company’s profits through cutting back on procurement and customer service and her plans to make it even more profitable by a restructuring that would realize a gain of $1.5 billion for stockholders.

It might have been reading the very next day that Rosenfeld was now being feted as the first woman to join the “20 Club,” those Illinois CEOS who are paid more than $20 million a year. Rosenfeld was paid $21 million in 2014 alone.

Or perhaps, in a city beset by financial woes, it was contemplating the impact of 600 more unemployed people, who had, only weeks ago, represented a well-paid diverse workforce of Latinos, African Americans and whites whose skills and union had earned them a sustainable salary of as much as $26 an hour.

Or perhaps, after another weekend of shootings and deaths, it was thinking about the young people who we tell that in staying in school, staying out of trouble and following the rules there is a clear path to opportunity in our city—at the moment that 600 such opportunities in the city evaporated.

Certainly Rosenfeld’s move is legal (although whether it should be is another question). But I can find no sense in which it is moral, just or defensible.

Rosenfeld and company may say that the move is justified, the reasonable actions of a company to improve their bottom line; that they owe their workers, the city and the nation nothing. But I would disagree. As Warren Buffet and a few other enlightened CEOs often point out, no American company succeeds on its own or without public benefit. Companies benefit from their hiring of workers made literate and trained by a public education system that, with all its foibles, is pervasive and accessible. Corporate trucks enjoy the benefits of publicly financed roads and bridges, maintained at the public’s expense, not theirs. Their commerce itself benefits from government agreements that ensure the rule of law and protect them in a manner that those of few other countries do. And of course the wealth of the company is due to the skill and work of the workers—who turn, in this case, the flour and sugar into the delectable treats that are now enjoyed worldwide.

There’s nothing new or even unusual about Irene Rosenfeld and the story of Nabisco and its Oreo cookies. But perhaps its very pervasiveness in our lives is just the thing to wake up the nation to the downward spiral we find ourselves in—a veritable race to the bottom, with a thin layer of the very rich, a hollowing out of the middle, and a growing underclass—relegated to selling merchandize produced for pennies on the dollar in other countries.

A friend to whom I spoke about Mondelez counseled that to mention Rosenfeld’s salary is a distraction. But it seems somehow wrong that we praise and reward a CEO for eliminating American jobs or for being paid an amount in one year that would take any worker in her plant 500 years to earn. Come to think of it, if Rosenfeld could learn to live on $2 million a year, that $19 million could be used to save 600 jobs, and the company’s bottom line would still be the same.

The same friend, who long has worked in finance said to me, in a manner most reminiscent of the famous quote from The Godfather, “It’s just business” But it’s a business where choices are made. Unlike other nations, our laws today do nothing to discourage offshoring, nor do they create any penalties when companies leave cities and towns holding the bag, left responsible for cleaning the contaminated sites and providing assistance to those left behind.

We look at cities like Detroit or Gary and say, in language that only slightly masks its racism, that their sorry financial state is of their own making, and that we are better and smarter than they. But are we? The African-American residents of those cities didn’t create the problems they face. Rather, it was the exodus of auto from Detroit (140,000 jobs lost between 1950 and 1960) that created the first and lasting economic crisis that city faced and faces. So, too it was not the population of Gary that caused its demise but the decision of steel to lower its costs, take the profits gleaned from decades of workers’ production, invest it in foreign lands and leave its workforce behind. Rather than exceptions, we’d be better off understanding them as harbingers of our future—the veritable canaries in the mine whose warnings should be heeded.

The last 20 years—from the changes in tax laws of Bill Clinton’s regime through the terrible and costly years of George W. Bush—have favored massive increases in corporate profits with American workers and taxpayers paying the bills and the price. It need not be this way. It was and is not divinely ordained. These are the decisions of humans and other choices can be made.

For me? Just as I don’t shop at Wal-Mart where guns are sold next to the cereal, I won’t be eating Oreos. A small and ineffectual gesture, perhaps, but one that will give me some satisfaction while I wait and work for a government that takes a stand.

To tell Oreo you're boycotting their cookies, join Marilyn's Change.org petition https://www.change.org/p/irene-rosen...t-you-are-now-
    Last edited by DougGuy; 09-01-2015 at 11:46 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Funny. Maybe some of those illegal Mexicans that some people are so up tight over and hateful towards will run back to Mexico for those good paying 600 jobs. Sounds like a win win to me.

Banned

$26 an hour American??????????
    I been in the oil field for over 10 years, run a crew of 20 guy's, and don't make near that much.

the union must be involved.

Boolit Master
    So um, I have a roll around cooler full of oreo's. What am I supposed to do with them, burn them? That many packages of oreo's would kill my flock of chickens if I tossed them in their pen.

In Remembrance
    I hate to see any company going out if the country, especially things we put in our mouth. I don't know, but doubt that Chitown is business friendly though, tax wise, labor wise , and probably political wise.

I don't have a clue what the cost of living in Chicago is, but I bet 26 bucks an hour doesn't put anyone to living high on the hog.

53k a year is pretty good for factory work. But that's probably a line sup. Sad, same story over and over move to save a penny.

Boolit Master
    $26 an hour was probably the maintenance supervisor, line grunts are probably $14-16 an hour. I spent 14 years in the food service industry as a grunt and then maintenance.

Boolit Master
    Typical liberal commie article. Like its last paragraph

"For me? Just as I don’t shop at Wal-Mart where guns are sold next to the cereal, I won’t be eating Oreos. A small and ineffectual gesture, perhaps, but one that will give me some satisfaction while I wait and work for a government that takes a stand."

Boolit Buddy
    The company I worked for for 15 years was purchased and is in the middle of shutting down its NJ manufacturing facility and moving to Mexico (Thanks to CareFusion and BD). I left at the beginning of the year, to a far better place.

I'll never eat another oreo.

ummm while i admit i like the article i sadly take strong strong offense at this
    "For me? Just as I don’t shop at Wal-Mart where guns are sold next to the cereal, "
    lady ...( and i say that with restraint ) guns are hardly a reason to boycott walmart , much better would be the cheap chinese ( and mexican ) imports that they peddle ... or their policies concerning workers etc etc but no ma'am you had to bring guns into it ..what a shame for now any true red blooded american should now also boycott you
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned

looks like your working in the wrong place. I wondered how long it would take for someone to try to throw the union under the truck. By the way I was a union electrical lineman for 30 years. Retired 6 years ago and at that time was making 26 bucks an hour. Now they make 31 where I work for a lead lineman. I did some research and union lineman average wage in this country is 32 bucks an hour. Lineman living in right to work states average 31 dollars an hour. Id bet if you looked at the wages of non union auto workers compared to union youd see the same thing. No an oil worker sweeping floors or a lineman that's not willing to do anything but ground work isn't going to make 26 bucks an hour. But for someone that has drive and is willing to relocate to where the demand is those salarys are sure there. http://work.chron.com/oil-field-work...ries-1447.html
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    $26 an hour American??????????
    I been in the oil field for over 10 years, run a crew of 20 guy's, and don't make near that much.

the union must be involved.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 09-02-2015 at 07:20 AM.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Why is this not in the PIT?
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

When I first saw the title to this thread, I thought the main character would Obama.
    A black man at church calls him oreo, "black on the outside, white on the inside."
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    So um, I have a roll around cooler full of oreo's. What am I supposed to do with them, burn them? That many packages of oreo's would kill my flock of chickens if I tossed them in their pen.
    Why do you keep them in a roll around cooler? lol

Boolit Master

Gamesa Giro is already made in Mexico and tastes better than Oreo has for years now anyways. Oreo these days tastes like they are made stale before they hit the shelf. Find a Giro and try one.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I buy store brand, no idea where or who makes them, ain't supposed to have cookies anyway.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I don't know about now, but at one time as many Oreo cookies were sold as the next three or so competitors of Oreo cookies combined. I think we can fix that! They might be good, but they are just a cookie. I used to buy a couple of bags a year, but don't even do that anymore as my wife makes really good homemade cookies of several kinds that I prefer anyway. So, I really can't boycott stupid Oreo cookies since we don't buy them. I'll just have to educate those I know who do buy them. Oh heck, I don't anyone who buys them! I'll have to ask around... How do I boycott if I can't boycott?!

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    Typical liberal commie article. Like its last paragraph

"For me? Just as I don’t shop at Wal-Mart where guns are sold next to the cereal, I won’t be eating Oreos. A small and ineffectual gesture, perhaps, but one that will give me some satisfaction while I wait and work for a government that takes a stand."

thats is what got me.

"Marilyn Katz is a writer, consultant and long-time political activist. She is president of MK Communications, a partner in Democracy Partners and a founder and co-chair of the newly formed Chicago Women Take Action."
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

It is my understanding that one of the biggest reasons for the move is the TARIFF that is imposed upon sugar in the US, supposedly to protect sugar beet farmers. Yes, typical leftist propoganda.

Lets see now, which political figure has been talking about TARIFFS lately? And keep in mind, the American consumer pays the TARIFF when buying the product under the TARIFF.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll bet if the OP had stock in the Oreo company, she'd sing an entirely different tune. I can't eat cookies, but appreciate them for the family, and I buy them at Walmart just down the isle from the guns and ammo. If it weren't for cheaper imported goods I'd have to do without.
    Information not shared. is wasted.