WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ? using 20-1 for 9.3x62 and 45/70

Banned
    Larry, Is there a chart that shows the optimum alloy for each caliber / velocity / bullet weight

Boolit Buddy
    Live and learn I guess, I always just assumed that softer alloys were better for expansion. How would 1.4%Sn, 2.9%Sb work for a flat nose 38 caliber 250 gr. @14-1500? Too much tin?
    20 years ago I did all my deer hunting with the 311041 out of a 30-30 at about 1900-2000 fps. Alloy was mixed to a guestimated Lyman #2 with unknown scrap lead and babbit and water dropped. They got Hard! The only one I recovered looked like a 3/8" long wadcutter. That one was hit head on and the bullet recovered under the skin in the off ham. Penetrated full length of the deer. The buck dropped on the spot. Never had one run more than 30 yards even on broadside shots. My guess is the fragmenting front of the bullet acted similar to a partition with plenty of secondary wounding by the fragments. The lungs on some of those deer were in bad shape.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2233.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	199163
    This a picture of a Mihic 432-640 281.0 grain FP after hitting a regulation HMS pig at 100 yards shot from a Freedom arms 7.5" .44 mag at 1400fps retained weigh
    is 273.4 grs lead mix is 50/50 Wheel-Weights / Pure + 2% tin, A hog hunter I supply with the same boolit is getting pass throughs on real pigs at 100 yards
    shoot them with subsonic loads, I was amazed how much weight was retained I expected to just recover the GC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12