MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? using 20-1 for 9.3x62 and 45/70

Boolit Buddy

? using 20-1 for 9.3x62 and 45/70

I would like to cast a few 20-1 220g gc 9.3 to be fired at 1700ft/s and 350 gr ranch dog at 1300 f/s

target is deer at much less than 100 yards

question is will they mushroom at all at that velocity
    also have 250 gr LB for the 9.3 - sized down lee 375(379 as cast but sized to 368)

Boolit Buddy
    The ranch dog 350gr cup point at 1300 will do nicely... I'm leery of the full hollow point not holding together. Incidentally, I get to 1300fps w/ 16.0gr of Trail Boss and it cleans up like a dream.

Banned

would they from a revolver?

Boolit Buddy
    The velocity I'm showing is from a 30"bbl on a BPCR... so I doubt a BFR is going to generate those speeds. A friend has a 26" bbld Model '86 that delivers in the high 12's with that load and it is a fast burning powder, but I doubt a 10" bbl is going to get there.

In Remembrance

After getting a straight pass through with the Lee 405 at 1450 last fall and losing the deer, I went to almost pure. ( 62/1 ) after checking expansion again, I think I will deep cup them this year. BTW acurracy is less than 2 inches at 100. 25 Gr 2400 and a roll crimp.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Grand Master
    I used a alloy of 25-1 last season in my 45-70
    loaded with 3031 and a 420 gr boolit
    2 deer down one shot each
    Last edited by white eagle; 06-27-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I to want to hunt with my 45-70 with i believe a 340gr HP i have pure lead and clip on wheel weights what mix should i use of these 2 , i will be hunting white tail and wild pigs.....Thanks in advance for any advice...

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For revolver expansion in .44-40 I use 40:1 tin/lead up to 1300 fps and 30:1 above that.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

I generally cut my ww's 3 to1 with soft lead and don't add much tin if any back to the mix. [like .25%]
    Tin adds brittleness when mixed with antimony.
    antimony or tin alone act differently in a lead alloy then when mixed together.

antimony alone allows the lead to extrude and flow, adding tin strengthens the antimony and binds it together in a longer chain instead of floating antimony crystals which will break down under pressure and allow the lead to flow easier.

Banned

What did I miss? I seen nothing about a revolver. The soft alloys would be fine with BP.

if SB and SN add to brittleness together, why does lyman #@ have such a good track record for being malleable, hard and tough?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

lyman#2*

not trying to contradict, I am really interested in knowing how the tin effects the Sb in lyman#2

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    would they from a revolver?
    The Lyman "Devastator" 429640HP cast of COWW + 2% tin then mixed 50/50 with lead, or 20-1 or 16-1 (my preference) expands and stays together just fine at 1350 - 1450 fps from revolvers and at 1500 - 1600 from Contenders and carbines.

The Lyman "Gould" 45-70 HP cast of 20-1 at 1250 1450 fps has been holding together for 100+ years.........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    if SB and SN add to brittleness together, why does lyman #@ have such a good track record for being malleable, hard and tough?
    Because it is hard, malleable and tough.......has to do with the correct balance of Sn and Sb in solution with the lead. However, it is not as malleable as a binary of lead and tin. It is the antimony not combined with sufficient tin to form the sub-metal SbSn that really causes the brittleness. The SbSn should be 3 - 5% each for the best alloy. At 90/5/5 Lyman #2 alloy makes the best ternary alloy that retains malleability and toughness w/o being too brittle.

The binary alloys of lead and tin provide a lessor degree of toughness with a greater degree of malleability. There isn't one alloy that will be the best at everything across the broad spectrum of cast bullet use. Choosing and using the correct alloy for best performance will provide the best results. Unfortunately many cast bullet shooters pick the wrong alloy because they don't know any different, don't want to use anything other than what they have or are too cheap to purchase/scrounge the correct metals for a correct alloy. They then reference the failure of HPs not expanding correctly or whatever, not their own failure to use a correct alloy and HP design.

It is not rocket science to come up with the correct alloy and the correct HP design for the bullet at hand and the job you want it to do. Yes it is easier to just default back to a WFN hard cast bullet (if your rifle will feed it reliably) but even though those bullets perform well with properly placed shots they will not terminally perform as well as cast bullet that expands properly.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 06-24-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Well stated Larry !
    About the only lead projectile I have fired through most my life hunting that has always been useful in all applications is a patched caliber 68 RB of pure lead fired from a smoothbore musket. No matter what it strikes it has expanded, passed through and left the nicest leaking hole if the critter was not knocked over to start with.
    But then I never have tripped those hammers on a Ol' Shaggy and big bears. But I understand the patched .68 (or unpatched .69) did right fine.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by aspangler View Post
    After getting a straight pass through with the Lee 405 at 1450 last fall and losing the deer, I went to almost pure. ( 62/1 ) after checking expansion again, I think I will deep cup them this year. BTW acurracy is less than 2 inches at 100. 25 Gr 2400 and a roll crimp.
    I went to 62/1 and hollow pointed the 405 mold. BOY! That sure made a difference! Made a hole you could "throw a dog through" in wet newsprint pack. Same load and velocity and accuracy as the other load but BIG difference in the terminal performance. YMMV
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

worried about meat loss?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    worried about meat loss?
    I quit worrying about meat loss after I lost a whole deer because I placed the shot to minimize meat loss.........

Now I aim to put the bullet through the heart regardless of angle. Better to have a little more hamburger in the freezer than no meat at all........not to mention being sick over killing a deer and not finding it before the coyotes did........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I quit worrying about meat loss after I lost a whole deer because I placed the shot to minimize meat loss.........

Now I aim to put the bullet through the heart regardless of angle. Better to have a little more hamburger in the freezer than no meat at all........not to mention being sick over killing a deer and not finding it before the coyotes did........

Larry Gibson
    Amen to that
    keep your alloy good and velocity for that alloy good and you are golden
    get either out of balance and your going to have trouble
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast