ADvertise hereLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingGraf & Sons
StainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationRotoMetals2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Mle. 1866 Chassepot Cartridge Construction - DIY Insanity!

Kudos to All

Good Afternoon,

Just back from the range and again had great luck with my tube in a tube system. Completely not authentic but does provide an easier, faster, and cheaper method of cartridge creation. As one who teaches history and military history, I would love to have the time to create these amazingly engineered cartridges for my students and for the range buddies. However, with my Dreyse needing much time to create the sabots, the thought of trying to reproduce the herculean efforts of so many on this board is daunting. I just get exhausted thinking about the effort you all have put in to recreating a piece of our history. Creating the firing needles, getting new springs, and creating good obduration suffices for now.

As much as I enjoy reading these threads and watching the West brothers on YouTube with their OE spec. cartridges, I just enjoy the extra time I can have at the range putting lead down range, making smoke, and listening for the faint sounds from Sedan.

Randy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by yulzari View Post
    As trivia. Some of the Chassepots Modele 1866 went through conversion to Gras as the 1866/74 and then as the 74/80 and finally rebarreled as the M14 in 8mm Lebel and used in WW1 as a second line weapon. Allegedly a few were still used in training and in backwaters in early WW2. Technically that would make them Modele 1866/74/80/14. I have yet to trace any definite WW2 use though.
    As even more pseudo-Chassepot trivia, the Air and Space Museum in San Diego has an aircooled Maxim aircraft machinegun (I don't recall the Allied maker) chambered to fire the 11mm Gras cartridge. The little data card that went with it stated that these were loaded up with incendiary bullets for the purpose of taking out observation balloons (and possibly Zeppelins). I gotta figure there's a lot more room in a 400 grain .45 to pack phosphorous than in those cute little .30 caliber things. . .
    WWJMBD?

Buried in molds until covered with mold.

The Brits too used some unusually large caliber rounds for incendiary work against the Zeppelins bombing England. Randy

Very cool thread and great work......but this REALLY makes me appreciate a brass cartridge rifle. Jeez what a bunch of work you've put in!
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

I also appreciate shooting BPCR. However, my cases have their issues too: cleaning, much work on the press, sperations/splits, costs, dies, case trimming equipment, Etc. So, not sure which method has the best/worst/least/most issues. Randy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rescuerandy2 View Post
    I also appreciate shooting BPCR. However, my cases have their issues too: cleaning, much work on the press, sperations/splits, costs, dies, case trimming equipment, Etc. So, not sure which method has the best/worst/least/most issues. Randy
    I think it's safe to say that if you're loading ammo for a Chassepot, you've got issues. This thread is probably as much a "we don't judge" support group as it is a technical guide.
    WWJMBD?

Buried in molds until covered with mold.

Boolit Master
    I've been shooting my Chassepot for a while.
    While my cartridge is not as traditional as the one here, it seems to work just fine.
    I just got a hold of some 1 1/2F black powder to try.
    I've had good results with 1F, but I just had to try it.
    It needed a little more filler than with the 1F, but it not a problem.
    Measured with a Traditions tube measure.
    70gr and 75gr. 405gr Lyman PB. Carnuba red lube.
    Although it did shoot 8" low at 100yds, groups were 1" to 3".
    At 50yds I could get close to 1" to 2" point of aim.
    I do have a home made high front sight on it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chass001.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	204024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chass002.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	204025
    Last edited by abunaitoo; 09-22-2017 at 07:11 PM.

If it all gets too tricky you can use this brass cartridge conversion http://www.hc-collection.com/calibre...982?PGFLngID=1 but then you may as well get a Gras and by pass the whole matter.

Boolit Bub

chassepot

the brass cartridge conversion is genius.the evolution of this string on loading this demandeng cartredge is worth a prize in itself.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345