MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: 323378, 8mm Heavy

323378, 8mm Heavy

I bought a original Ideal mold, a few months ago and cast it in WW, then drew the mold. It's fairly rare and I think that it should be popular with those that want to hunt large game with the 8mm, using cast.

I added it to the NOE mold discusion if you like to look at it.

It will cast at least .001 larger in Lino and almost that in #2.

In Lymans Third addition of there Cast Bullet Handbook, they give it a BC of .41 at 1600 fps and .43 at 1200 fps, in actual testing, while the program only gives it a .347 BC. It should have very good long range potentail if, you can take the recoil.

I won't be in on the buy as, I already have it.

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....ic,1029.0.html

FrankClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Ideal_323378_247_gr_Sketch.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	148021

Boolit Master

Thank You Frank....I just got a SC Ideal, and posted a interest thread as well. Real cool bullet.

Boolit Master
    Reviving this thread due to possible renewed interest...

My Ideal mould is stamped 320378 but it throws .3245" from a 3:1 mix of IsoCore Pb and Lyman No.2. That's off the top of my head, if memory serves, I'd have to go down and measure because I've run several Pb blends through it now, each a wee-bit different and then PC'd...I've got measurements coming out of my ears on that 8mm now!

I too thought 'long range' for fun...it oughta go like a cruise missile...it do pack a wallop when the cast comes out @ 2,000 FPS. I'm glad to see the BC's.

Thanks NY...charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Just heard from DROMIA... this needs TWO people to make this one HAPPEN! (NOTE: Swede is also rarin' to go on this.)

Link: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,1633.15.html

Super Moderator

............Rather then the long bore rider nose, how about a semi Loverin design? Have the base as a standard bearing & lube groove type, but the nose as a tapered multi-groove design? Those of us with a rifle having bore designs of 4 wide lands could use it with a tighter bore?

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ............Rather then the long bore rider nose, how about a semi Loverin design? Have the base as a standard bearing & lube groove type, but the nose as a tapered multi-groove design? Those of us with a rifle having bore designs of 4 wide lands could use it with a tighter bore?

.............Buckshot
    Not sure about everyone else, but I already have something similar to what you describe: a 323471 (in solid and HP). Not quite as heavy, but still...

The GB over at NOE has been talked about for quite some time, and due to the (relative) scarcity of Ideal/Lyman 323378, this would be a reasonable alternative to shelling out ebay prices for this design.

Boolit Master
    ONE MORE TO GO... You snooze, you lose! Should we call this the "German Cruise Missle"? Sorry, Larry, I couldn't resist...

Boolit Master
    FLASH: This one is ACTIVE!

NOTE: I talked with Swede and he will also offer a HP option for ONE cavity (ala Lyman). Might be nice to try some subsonic loads with a heavy HP (this thing weighs as much as a Colt 45 slug, but with a estimated B.C. of 0.347 (a slammer)!

Boolit Master

.............Buckshot
    BuckShot,

Have you ever considered sending the Swede some samples of the bullet you designed and asked him to make up a blueprint for a possible Group Buy? Just asking...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NYBushBro View Post
    BuckShot,

Have you ever considered sending the Swede some samples of the bullet you designed and asked him to make up a blueprint for a possible Group Buy? Just asking...

You mean the middle (above)? If so I never did. If you'd like for me too I surely can/will.

...........Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 05-12-2017 at 02:08 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

I purchased a similar mold from NOE some while ago to use in a 8x57JRS combination gun. I look forward to more loads people use with this bullet.
    Last edited by NuJudge; 05-13-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Boolit Master

You mean the middle (above)? If so I never did. If you'd like for me too I surely can/will.

...........Buckshot
    That's the one...

Boolit Master
    K98 enthusiasists: you can get in on this one NOW if you don't dally; Swede has it listed on his NOE "store" in .324" and .326" flavors (with Lyman style HP option).

Ranch Dog (aka Michael Reamy) has worked up his "Ranch Dog Load Notes" for this design posted on the Ranch Dog Outdoors website: http://ranchdogoutdoors.com/data/NOE...8x57Mauser.pdf