Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Does anyone have a Box Lock Percussion rifle?

Boolit Master

Does anyone have a Box Lock Percussion rifle?

One of our older gun club members has a Wesson Box Lock muzzle loader in 58 caliber. It is one of the ones made by Richland Arms many years ago and was only shot twice. It is 58 caliber which I hear is pretty rare and a huge barrel probably 1 1/2 across the flats. The metal is case colored with no wear and has some very fancy walnut and double set triggers which are still as set from the factory it feels.

The internals of the box lock seem a tad complicated and the biggest advantage I can see is the coil spring for the hammer and all enclosed so no dust/dirt/wood dust can get into the parts. Anyways does anyone have one of these and if so how do you like it?

Boolit Bub
    I have three of these rifles in my possesion.In .45,.50,.58 calibers.Two have the false muzzel ,one has the loading ram, the .45 has niether.I have found these rifles to be very accurate.The .50 as well as the .58 can hold groups of 2 inches and under at 100 yards.I have not tried any farther back as of yet.90 and 100 grain loads really hit you hard so you better hang on if you touch one off with this load.These are some very nice rifles ,one is Richland arms the other is Dixie arms ,the .45 was made by Dart.These rifles are in excellent condition.If you find one buy it there are not many around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wesson rifle.jpg  

Perm-Banned
    if he wants a fair price for it you may want to snap it up.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I know the rifle you speak of , always wanted to get one . They are a nice rifle and interesting . Only box lock I now own is a Mowery . Good luck !

Boolit Master
    Well I made an offer so we'll see what happens? I thought like you guys are and that is it is a very well made gun and if nothing else, good to have around. I did see Pecatonica River offers a box lock in one of their "kits" but it is a single trigger and the one I am trying to buy is double.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I had one many years ago but never shot it. I picked it up at a gun show - someone had put a new heavy barrel on it.

Richland Arms (Blissfield, MI) is of course no longer in business. If I remember correctly, their box locks were made with two different receivers - one was steel and the other a cheaper zinc type alloy (probably similar to what Henry uses on their 22s, etc.).

For those that like the box lock - Pecatonica River offers the "Allen Box Lock". They have it in a complete kit form - the catalog I have shows it at $663.00 for the complete set of parts. If you wanted to build your own utilizing some of you own parts, barrel, etc. - you can buy the action from them as well.

The Richland Arms box lock rifles were nice looking rifles. I can't remember just when they went out of business but I do remember going nd looking at some of the machinery that came out of their plant many years ago that were up for sale. I may be wrong on this but if I remember correctly, some of the equipment was donated to Eastern Mich. Univ. for their Ind. Ed. Labs. I looked at some surplus equipment that EMU was liquidating and taking bids on many years ago and I think that the fellow in charge told me that.

I still have a 1858 Remington New Model Army that they made. It belonged to a good friend of mine and after he passed, his wife gave it to me as a keepsake.

Boolit Master
    I picked one of those rifles up off of GB in fast twist .50 awhile back and keep promising myself to go shoot it but haven't. Also, that's another one of those that I need to get St. Peter to let me bring along. Anyone have any loads for one using a conical .50 boolit maybe?

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Got a .50 not long after they came out, serial #770 . Love it and still have it . Money would not buy it .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Mold
    I have an Allen boxlock rifle. Don’t know who made it, but it is beautiful. Color case, curly maple. Has a GM .45 1-16” twist, 28”, 1-1/8” octagon to round. Have not shot it. I had a Gibbs a few years ago, and think this shoot as well.