MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zink Wheel Weights Do Float - Finally Took a Picture

Boolit Buddy

Zink Wheel Weights Do Float - Finally Took a Picture

Been refining wheel weights into ingots for better storage this past weekend. After hand sorting, some Zinc weights still made it through. Decided to take a picture to show they float. Checking metal temp a few times the temp of the pot never went above 650. If you are having suspected Zinc issues, I would suspect the pot temp is way too high. Zinc melt point is 787.2°F.

The high surface tension if molten lead will even keep the steel weights a float. The Zinc weight in this picture sat for more than 10 minutes and was still floating. Hope this helps.

Attachment 147944

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Cool pic. I don't have my smelter set up for controlled temp, so I use the ol' sidecutter pliers test on mine. It's slow, but fortunately I don't smelt a lot of my own WW.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Bub
    I had this happen to me recently. I usually get all the zinc out, but I was tired and let a few zinc weights slip through. When I smelted the batch, five or six zinc weights sat on top with the clips. I pulled them off with no problems. I don't use a thermometer, I just keep the lead barely above melting point.

Boolit Master

Since zinc is less dense that lead, of course it is going to float. I doubt that surface tension has anything to do with it.

I usually don't bother sorting my wheelweights -- I just toss everything in the smelting pot and settle for whatever alloy I get. The zinc, steel, and clips all float and get skimmed off.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I usually don't bother sorting my wheelweights -- I just toss everything in the smelting pot.. The zinc, steel, and clips all float and get skimmed off.
    Also the ball bearings, nuts, bolts, monkey wrenches and other tools they use at the tire shop float..

Even melted zinc will float as pictures in the zinc contamination thread shows.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Not surface tension......density. Zn and CI and steel and dirt and rocks are lighter than Pb so they float. Until you reach the liquid point of Zn and then Zn magically disappear!

I keep my temps around 700-730 (guestimate from past years of experience and depending on alloy) and never had any zinkers melt in. But I quit messing with COWW's almost 2 years ago when Pb turned out to be only ~50% of the buckets. Not worth MY time. I can buy good clean alloys at local yards that need no fluxing and messing with.

Do not rely on that old "oatmeal" indicator! If you have Pb alloy at just under it's liquid temp, it can & will appear like that. 5 more degrees and it all goes away. No Zn at all......just under temp lead alloy melt. Too many new melters get paranoid with the oatmeal thing.

Sort B4 re-melting always. Eliminates those "did I miss one....do I have Zn in my pot" questions.

Boolit Master

Zinc weights will float but if you walk away and let them cook, they will also melt. Remove them quickly.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Zinc weights will float but if you walk away and let them cook, they will also melt. Remove them quickly.
    Technically, if they are melting, you are running your pot at too high of a temperature.

Boolit Master
    My first casting I thought I had got zink in the mix ,but it counot have Ben it was pure soft lead with tin.it cast fine when I made my ingits.after several attempts to cast I got the temp right and figured out what I was doing wrong. It did stop me from using coww to the for several months , since I figured out melt temp I am sitting up ww rout . Going to have themonter in the pot.

Boolit Master
    My first casting I thought I had got zink in the mix ,but it counot have Ben it was pure soft lead with tin.it cast fine when I made my ingits.after several attempts to cast I got the temp right and figured out what I was doing wrong. It did stop me from using coww to the for several months , since I figured out melt temp I am sitting up ww rought . Going to have themonter in the pot.

Boolit Master
    Still working on the computer .but gettin better at casting.

Boolit Grand Master
    You guys in VA sure do talk funny!

HA.......ha!

Boolit Buddy
    Was gonna tell a joke about the guy with a hair lip but didn't want to get "off topic"

Anyhow.. it still amazes me how all the dirt and sand just comes floating to the top.

Boolit Master
    Tipe and spell weard to .I'm all most 50 and just started casting and computers same time.not gitting any better at computer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Anyhow.. it still amazes me how all the dirt and sand just comes floating to the top.
    That which does not somehow seem to be able to avoid laws on buoyancy and get attracted to the pour nozzle on the Lee bottom pour pots.

Boolit Grand Master
    That has always amazed me too! dirt and garbage and Zn float. But that black stuff that you can scrape off the bottoms and sides almost seems to be in infinite supply. And can get down in the spigot!

Considering one can spoil a pot of WW's by getting it hot enough to melt zinc AND repeating a successful bullet cast in part depends on having lead at same and correct temperature that worked last time a thermometer is most useful. Nothing fancy but certainly functional at $22 http://www.amazon.com/Tel-Tru-LT225R.../dp/B0055777EU one has to ask how much is a pot of spoiled lead worth?

Also very useful when posting a question of "why do my bullets look like...." because melt temp is one more data point you can specify. You can say casting with such and such an alloy at this temperature. To which people will respond "too cold" or "too hot" or "lead is hot enough so...." Or all three
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Do zinc weights usually have the Zn identifier marked on them somewhere? (see OP's photo), I haven't done a batch melt in a long while but I always hand sort by type(s) and use a thermometer to be on the safe side.
    Bob

95% will be marked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast