MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: MicroBurst Hit Our Area Last Night

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."

MicroBurst Hit Our Area Last Night

What is a "MicroBurt?"

Picture an upside down mushroom cloud formed by an atomic blast. OK, it's not nearly at the atomic level but I'm trying to paint a mental image here.

A blast of hard wind force blows downward and when it hits the ground it blows outward. This wind force is generally hard enough to do extensive damage to areas in and around the "Ground-Zero" that's created by this phenomenon.

Thankfully, I'm was in the outskirts of this "Ground-Zero." Even still, I got up this morning to survey the damage. I found some uprooted trees, awnings on the ground where they don't belong, etc.

I live in an old neighborhood. Most of the old homes here were built as barracks made to house military personnel back during WWII; that's how old some of these homes are; including mine. I don't know how they remain standing under the force of such winds. It's either the Grace of God or the termites and the roaches in the wall of these old homes must all be holding hands for dear life to keep the walls for toppling.

My property only sustained minor fence-gate damage. I'm not surprised. That old wooden gate was a 30 years old termite hotel to begin with but, it stayed standing. Only some of the slats were blown loose.

I've come to the conclusion that there really is a God in Heaven. And He really does answer prayers asking for protection.

HollowPoint

Glad your prayers were answered and suffered no serious damage. I think in this part of the world we have similar things with some of our thunderstorms.

Glad everythings ok. I've seen what kinds of damage can be caused by winds of almost all types. About the only thing more destructive is water! Or a very bored puppy.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

We get those often here in my valley. The last one "cleaned" off my deck for me. I stood and watched it as everything including two 60 pound rockers were shoved across a 24 foot deck and tossed 30 feet into the yard.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    The blast of wind comes from the supercell storm collapsing.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud