RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: wanting to buy a star, what do I need?

Boolit Master

wanting to buy a star, what do I need?

I want a star to lube 9mm wheelweight bullets for 9mm. I use the lee 105 SWC to shoot.

Which lube should I get? Is a soft lube ok?

Should I get a heated base or not needed?
    Should I get the air cylinder? I have shop air. Is it a hassle to keep the lube under constant pressure without it?

Should I get everything from magma at the same time, or order the dies from lathesmith?

Also, it appears that they have no email to talk? My english isnt perfect and I really prefer to email rather than call.

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    When I ordered mine, I bought the Star and the Heater Base from Magma; I bought the dies from Lathesmith, as well as top punches with punch nuts.

I would do the same again.

A soft lube would be ok, though I'm not sure why you would buy the heater base if you're planning to use a soft lube. I have used both Randy Rat's Tac lube as well as White Label's Carnauba Red. Both worked great but you may need a bit of heat to make them work well.

I bought Kyle's air kit, and would do that again as well. As long as you have a regulator to control air pressure, you will be fine.

FWIW, I am also now powder coating, and the Star is an excellent sizer without lube; I may yet buy some sizers from Lathesmith without lube holes, just for that purpose.

Boolit Master
    my glock leads with powdercoat using WW alloy... plus it takes 5x the time.... I'm sick of that ****. I just want to process bullets fast. I don't see the point with PC. you size anyway, the star lubes at the same time, why not?

Boolit Master

You can size and lube 500-750 boolits per hour with a Star as they are. I see no need for the air cylinder unless you are doing it commercially. The standard arrangement is fine by twisting the handle two turns about every 40-50 boolits. It is not a hassle to me.
    With soft lube you don't need a heater, but I don't like the soft lube. It is messy when storing the lubed boolits and messy when you load them. I use the Whites Carnauba Red and you need a heater unless you live in a very hot area.(95 degrees).
    I have a Lyman heater that I think is less expensive than others. The Lyman heater does not have a thermostat so I heat things up then unplug it. About 20 to 30 minutes later you will need some more heat by plugging it back up. You could use a PID or a light switch dimmer but that is more trouble than the present.
    Top punches and dies are a little less expensive from Lathesmith. If you are going to stay with one boolit profile then Lathesmith may be able to locate the lube holes in the sizing die at the right height for your bullet.. Otherwise the die comes with three levels of lube holes and by trial and error you will need to plug off two levels. (most likely)
    I size and lube with the bullet nose first so I use a flat nose punch.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    my glock leads with powdercoat using WW alloy... plus it takes 5x the time.... I'm sick of that ****. I just want to process bullets fast. I don't see the point with PC. you size anyway, the star lubes at the same time, why not?
    If your glock leads with PC, I'd think it would lead with lubed boolits.

I was shooting at a competition in the spring and the smoke from the lube was enough to obscure the target; it's harder to hit them when you can't see them! I've since learned that it was a particular set of conditions that led to that situation, but for a variety of reasons I decided I would pursue Powder Coating.

One is that there is an amount of smoke, with powdercoating, comparable to FMJ.

Another is that I can coat boolits with colors that approximate FMJ. If I ever get to a range where they demand FMJ, perhaps I might have an alternative.

For example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fmjpowdercoat.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	147831

Another reason yet is that they look cool; it's a way to interest others in reloading and casting.

How cool are these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hollowpointpc.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	147832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pc38spl.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	147833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castpcpics.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	147834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcloads.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	147835

And frankly, firearms and reloading is my hobby; whether I spend more or less time PC'ing than I would if I just lubed them using my Star, well, that's my own business and while you might feel it's a waste of time for you, I assure you, it is not for me.

Finally, you're almost making me wish I hadn't bothered to respond to your original post. Sheesh.

Boolit Master
    I have a 3 months old baby and I work 60 hours a week and I don't have much time to reload or my wife will quit me. I need a star.

Boolit Bub
    I would buy the basic star with a heated base and upgrade as you see fit, if you think keeping the pressure up manually it a pain buy air assist if you dont mind then save the money.

Order lathesmith dies just as good for less money.

Softer lube is kind of like peanut butter it can get messy it tends to be heat sensitive so no storing in the garage if you live somewhere warm.

you mentioned they have no email to talk? if by they you mean magma then try sales@magmaengineering.com

Boolit Master
    cool, I'll try that.

Boolit Buddy
    Two words...Roller Handle.
    What is best in life?
    1. Crush your enemies
    2. See them driven before you
    3. Hear the lamentations of their women

Boolit Buddy
    Your English won't be a problem, nice older lady most likely will take your order. They have as many customers from all around the world as they do here in the U.S. I would go with the basic star, heater, lube, die and top punch. Add other items as necessary down the line.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

ADMIN

If you intend to get the bullet feeder then you will need the magma heated base.
    I would get the sizer, heated base and the bullet feeder.
    The air can be added later.
    What people haven't said is that the air allows for more constant lube flow.
    The pressure stays the same.
    I know that if my pid says 115 degrees and I have 45psi then I can lube boolits
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Well, You have some answers that maybe used or as they say, they have more than one way to skin a cat. If using a soft lube in a controlled temperatures, you don't need the heater.
    I've used Stars since 1970-71 and have had as many as 4 going at the same time. If you are lubing bullets with many lube grooves or have larger than normal lube grooves then the air assist is a needed item. Those that say you only need to turn the pressure screw down once every 50 bullets have never lubed many bullets that require lots of lube. People who shoot BP or larger 45-70 bullets would benefit from the use of air cylinders. I always had them on the Stars I owned and they are life savers, believe me. Running the same bullet through about 5 times becomes old real fast.
    The member on this forum that sells the air kits for about $40 is a real bargain and they work. You just add the gauge and air control may be purchased off of flea bay at a good price. You pay about half of what it cost to add the Magma air unit.
    When it comes to heat, if you need it, then a piece of 1/2 inch thick aluminum about 12 inches long and 4 inches wide will do fine. Mount the Star on the aluminum and then add a travel iron when needed. They are small and have very good thermostats and will work forever. The advantage to mounting the Star on the aluminum is that it may be clamped with small 4 inch c clamps anywhere on your bench when needed and then removed when not. It keeps your bench uncluttered so to speak. I mount all of my accessories in this manner and store them when using the bench for other needs.
    I've purchased my dies and other needed tools from Lathesmith since 2008 and they are the best you may buy anywhere. I've seen where other members have stated that his dies are cheaper, well they maybe but that is a poor reason to purchase a precision tool. in fact it's the worse one. Chris takes his time and makes each die a true piece of exact measurement. If his price was higher, he would still have my business. They had one posting that spoke about hit and miss on the adjustments. That is not true as each bullet has an exact setting. Take care David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

When I called Magma last month, a nice young sounding lady answered the phone and took my order. When I inquired about the older lady that used to take the calls, she said she retired. Anyway, they are good people to deal with and they won't mind a foreign accent. I would start with the sizer and heated base from Magma and dies from Lathesmith and then upgrade from there depending on what you decide after using the star.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose33 View Post

FWIW, I am also now powder coating, and the Star is an excellent sizer without lube; I may yet buy some sizers from Lathesmith without lube holes, just for that purpose.
    If you have a single stage then the Lee push through dies may be cheaper route.

Boolit Master

The Star and dies is all you really need. The heated base makes things easier and faster, which matters to me, and you also it seems. The bullet feeder makes it a bit faster, but not really worth it unless you do more than 500 at a time. The air feed just makes things more consistent, which can also speed up things, especially if you do more than one bullet style/caliber. It just eliminates another variable. I have 3 stars, 2 with feeders, and all are mounted on a sheet of aluminum and a travel iron for a heater. I wasn't about to buy 3 heaters, too cheap. And I just switch the air feed from sizer to sizer, as I can only use one at time anyway.

I have the Star, with heater from them, but you can use the lyman. all dies and punches from Lathesmith, Handle and air system from Kyle, and bullet feed for star. I like to just sit and pull the handle, and feed the tubes when empty. I shoot about 2000 rounds a month.
    I shoot competitively in the different steel classes. Both in 9mm, 38 special, 44 special, 45 colt. So When I cast I run around 3 thousand round at a time so bullet feeder and air are a must for me. Kyles handle and air system work top notch, lathesmiths dies and punchs are the best.

Boolit Master
    kyles air system/handle works fine? ok great. Will order, probably cheaper than from magma.
    I'll also get a die from lathesmith I guess.
    As for the heater, I have PID already so I could use it to control lube temp
    For the heating plate, you guys bought an alum plate(where?), drilled the holes and just bought a cheap iron locally?
    To save 110$ that might be worth it I guess.

Should I just buy red (hard) lube for 9mm because it's less sticky and better? Or should I just not bother and get the 2500+ lube that doesnt need a heated base, and save 110$ US?
    Temps are moderate here, and I mostly shoot indoors, but I might have to shoot outside sometimes when it's warm. Is a soft lube going to make a complete mess if I shoot outside during the summer?

Boolit Master
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-100W-PT...item2a486914ae

Found this, cheap and would work. just need a glue on PID probe, and glue this to the star, and tadam, done?

Boolit Master
    What is the wattage of the OEM heater from magma ? Can anyone check on theirs please?

If you live in a moderate climate then don't get the heater. If you need to heat lube once in a while, use a heat gun or hair dryer. works fine. put the money towards a bullet feeder, a must for me. I Don't know what the wattage of the heater is, I looked at all my paper work for instructions and description and no info on heater or wattage. The air system from magma is if I remember right around $105.00 or so don't know what their shovel handle goes for. I think I got the handle and air system from Kyle for $55.00 or so. My compressor has a gauge on it and I set it at 60psi and lube till it runs out. his roller handle is very nicely made and works great. Chris (lathsmith) dies are top notch guilty and work great. They both give excellent service, reasonable prices and good communication.
    I am still very satisfied that I purchased the Star. Good luck with you decision.
    Pee Wee

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast