Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 311008 for deer...or, what is the largest animal you would shoot with this boolit?

Boolit Master

311008 for deer...or, what is the largest animal you would shoot with this boolit?

Attachment 148883This is a thought experiment.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 09-13-2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Picture added for clarification
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master

Jackrabbit
    The deer deserves a more weighty bullet
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/236...rain-flat-nose
    Mike

P.S. I use this bullet in my 7.5 Swiss Revolver
    1882 Ordnance Revolver
    http://swissrifles.com/pistols/
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o-TYRANNOSAURUS-REX-facebook.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	147812
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In the 1880s advertisements for the .32-20 touted it as a deer rifle, but I don't know of any states where it is legal today.

With that light a plain-based bullet you are limited to .32-20 velocities, so how big? Coyotes, woodchucks, etc.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

It would be legal in GA. Anything .22 cal centerfire or larger and you're good. So a Baby Browning and you're good......
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Same here in TN, my Beretta M84 in 380 is legal in TN (NO I won't be hunting with it) ! Coyotes is my upper end for the 311008 also. It will definately kill a deer,so will a 22LR, but I want a little more steam. 3030 150gr cast is plenty.

"Rifles and handguns using centerfire ammunition (full metal jacketed ammunition prohibited)" direct from TWRA site ! So a 17 Hornet is OK, good grief!
    Last edited by rking22; 08-29-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    In the 1880s advertisements for the .32-20 touted it as a deer rifle, but I don't know of any states where it is legal today.

With that light a plain-based bullet you are limited to .32-20 velocities, so how big? Coyotes, woodchucks, etc.
    Mine is the NOE 311008 FN GC so, in my .308W, I could most likely get to 1900-2000 fps. That is why the question. But I will most likely hunt with the Ranchdog XCB I think.

In Texas I think the only thing (rifle) not legal is a rim fire. In the 1980's when Marlin came out with the .32-20 and .25-20 1994's all the gun writers came to Texas and killed deer with the .32-20's. I had a .25-20. Wish I still did...

Coyotes here get to about 40 lbs. The hill country deer are 120. A long time ago I killed a rather large South Texas doe with a .222 Rem. and a 50 gr. J-bullet. Would not have been my pick but was handed to me. Deer ran 150 yds. and stopped then fell over from the heart shot. If I had not been able to see the whole thing, I'm certain I would have lost her. On the other hand I have had the same thing happen with a.50 conical from a muzzleloader and that one involved a difficult tracking job. They aren't hard to kill but they can be hard to find.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 08-29-2015 at 08:42 PM.
    USMC 6638

In Remembrance

What state is it illegal in for deer, not argueing, just asking?
    In said state do they have a muzle energy rule or something to that effect that leaves it out.
    I would never personally use it for deer, for the simple reason I have better choices, but if it was all I had and all I could afford and need meat, well things would change.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I stand corrected... Looked up my current state of residence and bordering states and the only legal deer rifle requirement is center-fire ammunition with expanding bullet ammunition larger than .22 caliber.

I previously lived in places which had muzzle energy requirements or overall cartridge length limitations.

But agree that if it was a matter of use a .32-20 or starve, the answer is easy.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    FYI -- These tasted better:

Herbivores typically taste better than carnivores.
    They sure do typically. I haven't had a brontosaurus burger in a long time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flintstone2.jpg 
Views:	1031 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	147839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flintstone.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	147840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flintstone3.jpg 
Views:	1026 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	147841

I was thinking though if you would push a tough hard boolit in the 30-30 about 2600 fps or so with that metplat and keep the shots in the broadside ribs of a deer on the feed pile around the 50 yd range it might be surprizing. That boolit would slow down real fast though pushed that fast with its BC.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

It would be illegal to use it in Indiana in a rifle. Caliber must be at least .35 and case length must be between 1.18 and 1.8 (not positive on those numbers, but pretty sure). Now you could use it in a pistol. Same case length rules, but you can go down to .270 diameter.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Master
    I believe the .32-20 would be a legal elk and moose cartridge in Wyoming. Not saying it would be a good one however, though we tend to be more than a bit overgunned in this country.

Back to the OP's question however, how heavy is this bullet? I don't know Lee's numbering system. And how far would the OP be wanting to take shot, or more aptly, what shots would the OP be willing to pass up?

Boolit Master
    IMHO anything that you would consider strategically placing a 22lr pill into but with a bit better wallop to it.

coyote is the largest i would use this for possibly .... small antelope ........deer need a 150 gr boolit IMHO
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Master
    Oh boy...here we go....Anything shot in the heart or the head (brain) is dead. Yes, under the correct conditions I would... There have been a lot of animals wounded and lost with lots more powerful stuff. Shot placement would be everything.

In one of the Ian Fleming 'Bond' books, 007 is asked why he carried such a wimpy piece ( he was armed with a Beretta 25 caliber before he moved up to a Walther 32? ) His reply? " I aim for the right eye and I never miss."
    Last edited by castalott; 08-30-2015 at 12:43 PM. Reason: can't proofread

Boolit Master
    My 311008 is 115 gr and plain based so it would be limited to 32-20 velocity. The only thing I've used it in so far is my 32 mag. The gun is quite accurate at 750 fps and doesn't ring my ears. It handles possums and coons in the chickens with ease.

When I had to put my old horse down it was the gun I used. While I wont go deer hunting with this combo I'm certain I could take one with it. I would probably have to pass on a lot of shots before the right one presentd itself.

Now with this boolit gas checked and pushed above 1800 fps in a rifle I would feel more confident but not as confident as I do in a 311041

As has been said ( where you put the little hole is more important than what you put it with.)
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    Mine, as mentioned above is the NOE version of the LYMAN 311008 and is checked. It is nominally 115 hrs and I intend it as a small game boolit in the .308 W and .30-06. When I put up the original post it hadn't occurred to me that a lot of folks shoot this out of revolvers, i.e. I'm thinking .30-30 and the above named cartridges so sorry for that. Anyhow, I'm thinking that in the 30 cal. rifles it would be easy to get it above 2000 and remembering all the deer killed with 100 gr pills from .243/.250 j-bullets, was just wondering how it would do. I think I could get complete pass through on a broadside shot behind the elbow on a Hill Country deer. That will take out the arteries on top of the heart and usually results in a bang-flop, unlike the 100 yd run when the heart is center punched. But like I said in the OP, this is a thought experiment. I appreciate all the replies so far.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master

NH for 1

Moderator Emeritus

The distance limiter is the distance that you can put that bullet in the ear hole 9 times out of 9. If you can put it there it will work well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    The distance limiter is the distance that you can put that bullet in the ear hole 9 times out of 9. If you can put it there it will work well.
    That's about it right there.

One can launch off into discussion about velocity/fpe/form/alloy until the cows come home. When a fella starts working the edge of the envelope placement gets to be the only thing that matters. More/bigger/faster buys you some latitude for being off a bit, but only a bit. Know your gun, your own limits and what to expect from the bullet...
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast