Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pinto beans

Interesting.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Moderator Emeritus

Yes but they would be fresh and not something that was in a warehouse for who knows how long!

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    some debris means it could have grasshopper parts, stems, leaves, rocks, dirt clods, and just about anything that could be in a field. the amount depends on how well the combine operator sets up the machine, this will be a local "for hire" combine so I won't know percent of debris until the beans are in the truck. I figured once the beans were harvested I would weigh a box and figure costs, if mary's calculations are right(I have no reason to doubt her) .341 cubic feet of beans should be about 16 pounds, shipping is I think 12 bucks or so on a medium flat rate and beans would be about 8 bucks. approximately 20 bucks for 16 pounds would be 1.25 per pound--that would make it cheaper to buy in the store. all this is estimates right now based on current market price and shipping, will know a firm price hopefully next week when they are in the truck. I can do any size package but I thought the medium flat rate would work the best. shipping kind of kills this but if you still want some beans pm me so I can keep track of things. I plan on keeping about a ton or so around here for family and animal feed so I should have plenty for anyone who wants some.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Never liked beans!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by OnHoPr View Post
    I think maybe I or we got off on the wrong page. I would keep quite a few pounds dry, but I would also can about 40 or 50 pints for the year for a quick side with dinner and quick bean soup meals. So, it is just the rainy or winter weather that would keep you in on a weekend to get your annual canned beans in the pantry.
    Gotcha, we just never canned dry beans, now green beans, peas,etc is a different story.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Never liked beans!
    Now that's pert near unamerican. lol a good pot of pintos cooked with some salt pork, maybe or maybe not throw in a couple of jalopenas, along with some green onions and cornbread, is a good meal, add some fried taters and it's a better meal, add a fried crappie or two, and life don't get any better. lol

Beans, Beans the musical fruit. The more you eat the more you toot. The more you toot the better you feel, so eat beans for every meal.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

In Remembrance
    Reminds me of what a kid said when we were kids.
    He said beans and onions go together, and means bad breath at both ends. lol

Boolit Bub
    I live SE of Denver. Might be interested in a "drive-by" especially if I was going that direction for another reason

Boolit Buddy
    Would vacuum packing dry beans be as effective as oven canning? I'm guessing weevils, etc need air to live...charlie

Boolit Master

vacuum packing works fine, thats what we do for our long term storage in our tornado barrels. if there is enough interest in denver we can deliver to a central location---I'm thinking a LGS

Boolit Master

first and only bump to get ahead of the polls, and for anybody interested that missed the update.

I might have interest, depending on price.

Bump back up for you.
    Casting, Reloading & Shooting

Boolit Grand Master

I can't imagine life without beans, especially pintos.
    When first married, we made many a meal with a can of Lucks with an onion and some crackers. Times were hard and Lucks pintos were .10 a can.
    Yep, I'm interested.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

I put buckets of beans and rice in the freezer and both are just like fresh 4 years later. They keep and NOT A SINGLE BUG!
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by xbeeman412 View Post
    I put buckets of beans and rice in the freezer and both are just like fresh 4 years later. They keep and NOT A SINGLE BUG!
    If doing dry storage of beans, rice, etc., put a couple bay leaves in the container. Keeps bugs away!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Here's my bean story. I sent a PM to rancher1913 to request payment information. His response came with an apology that he had been out of town, but I was on the list. I went to the P.O. today to buy a MO to pay for the beans. The post mistress said that I had a package (rural P.O.).
    She went to get my package while I mailed my MO. When I got my package, it was my beans.
    I'm just saying, 30 seconds is pretty fast turn around. Thanks rancher1913.

Boolit Master
    This is a great opportunity to directly patronize a farmer/rancher!
    I'm in for at least 4 lfrb's, pm sent.
    Thanks
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master
    HI rancher1913

So what is the end price for MFRB and LFRB ?

If I would get a bag (sack) is UPS Cheaper/per pound, just asking ?

So how was yield? How did they come off? Just asking, small talk, Are they GM, or old seed stock OP. What where the sprays use and fertilizer. If you had a semi or Organic , This can be a good chance for you to get some extra $$.

Have A Good One !! Teddy

Boolit Master

teddy, price ended up at 30 bucks shipped for about 24 pounds of beans. looked into ups and it was cheaper to go flat rate. shipping kills the price per pound.
    not gm, don't know if they even have gm pintos, field was never sprayed, not much you can use on pintos that won't kill them as well and with the short growth cycle the few weeds don't hurt that much. we do spray some crops so organic is out, no demand for it this far out.

I buy dried pintos for less than a buck a pound. It's cool that you grow them. It just seems like a lot of effort for something locally available. Now if you had some 9mm projectiles that would be a hot seller. ��
    The highest patriotism is not a blind acceptance of official policy, but a love of one's country deep enough to call her to a higher plain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast