Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: I think I got a good deal on WW

Boolit Buddy

I think I got a good deal on WW

I headed to my mother's place outside of town today (took the day off) with the express purpose of melting down a bucket of WW, since I'm all out of ingots. On a whim I decided to call a service station that's less than 10 miles down the road to find out if they're willing to part with WW. They said they'd sell them for $30 per 5gal bucket. When I got there, they only had about 2/3 of a bucket so I gave them $20 for it. I realize I'll have to sort it, and that I'll end up with considerably less, but I still think that's a pretty good deal. At a glance, I clearly saw lead weights, so I'm hopeful that it'll yield a fair amount of lead. I forgot to ask him how long it takes them to fill a bucket - I'm guessing it's a long time. I'll try to remember to call them again in 6 months or a year.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Sounds good to me! You'll know as soon as you sort.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I pay between 20-30$ for a 5 gallon.
    Theres a place that let me pick up for 20$ per 5 gallon. But a lot if steel or zinc....

Right now I have probably like 1500 pounds of lead so I'm not really wanting to buy more WW....

The going rate here is 20-30$ for a 5 gallon bucket, So you didn't get hurt any.
    Plus you can take the zinc and steel wheel weights and the clips to the scrap yard and get a few bucks for that.

Boolit Master
    I'm a new caster in rural Virginia . Going to try and set up ww collection rout . On the eastern shore of va. we have several shops spread out over 50 miles that I travel through monthly. Can someone offer some advice on reasonable price I should start with. I can hit the local scrap yard ,but thay have recently went from 60. - 1.00 per lb for lead . Advice will be aprishated thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, as stated above, start at $20 or $30 dollars a bucket. Maybe call a scrap yard and ask what they pay. Take your own buckets, as some stores do not have access to buckets. If you have any success try to remember those places. Donuts, pizza or beer can make you one of their favorite guys.

Boolit Master
    It work's first tire shop had about 3 gal. Second said bring your own bucket with phone number .that's a good start. O this is an addiction . it's going to be a blast.

Boolit Buddy
    Ditto to what lightman said...I've ranged from $50 for a 5-gal bucket to a half-full bucket for free. I gave the guy $10 anyway, and it pays to invest a few bucks for some donuts, a couple of pizzas or whatever. The guys will probably be glad to get rid of their WW's, saving a trip to the scrapyard and the red tape that goes with it.
    "Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. "

Yes,bring your own buckets,if anything it helps to split them up so they aren't so heavy.