WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me start reloading for 45 colt for my SAAs

Please help me start reloading for 45 colt for my SAAs

I have a LEE classic single stage press. I have a bag of 45 colt new brass and 1000 Winchester WLP large pistol primers. Other than that, I'm clueless.

Please don't write me off as a lost cause because I am a fast learner. However I have never reloaded but eager to learn.

I will be loading black powder (probably Goex) and would like to load as close to original specs as possible for that "feel like you were there".

I didn't know how hard it would be to find bullets for loading. I found a ton of casts for them but I don't believe I want to cast my own bullets. I'm unsure what powder to get because I see people talk about FFFg and also loading FFg. If it matters I will also be loading 10ga and 12ga brass shotgun loads.

I guess my main question is what equipment will I need and where can I find bullets? I read a 4" drop tube is a good option for pistol rounds but I also read it isn't needed.

.45 Colt was my first caliber to reload as well. You will need a set of dies and a good scale. A powder measure is nice, but you could make scoops out of just about anything. For black powder, I think you'll want soft boolits, rather than the excessively hard comercial cast boolits, but I've been wrong before. A good loading manual is also a must, in your case a black powder manual. Read it before you reload a single cartridge.

As far as powder goes, fffg is traditional for pistols, but you could probably get away with ffg in a pinch. Caveat on that last statement is I only use black in my muzzle loader, so take it with a grain of salt.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Master

This is no way an insincere response but rather the best I can give you. Before you spend any money, spend a lot more time reading and researching about reloading. Buy at least two, or better yet, as many as you can afford, reloading books. Reloading is so much more than having some brass, finding a boolit, sticking it in a press, adding some powder, loading in a gun and pulling the trigger. I spent a year consuming everything I could at this website, which is the best btw, and others before I began to acquire any equipment.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Bub
    I shoot 45 colt in a Howell conversion Remington new model army. I can definitely appreciate your interest in black powder. I have 10 cap ball revolvers-love shooting them. That being said my new model army gets the most affection with smokeless loads. I still get the experience of firing an old style pistol but the convenience and ease of reloading smokeless 45 colt is wonderful. You may want to consider starting there and then once you get some experience try some black powder loads. I cast my own 230 grain boolits under a light load of 800x powder...great fun and at the end of the day no lengthy clean up.

Boolit Master
    Bzcraig is giving you the best advice you could get. Buy at least 2 books and read them. This will save you money in the long run and might even save you from injury and a sizable hospital bill.

My father started me pulling on a press handle by the time I was 3 years old. After all these years I still love sticking my nose in an old dog-eared reloading or ballistics book.

Welcome to a wonderful hobby.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

This is a good start to cover the basics.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/abcs...=2671910229485
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Master
    Lot's of folks suggest you start reading but no one has mentioned any reloading books specific to black powder. Truth is, I can not think of one either. There are a few fora that have info on black powder reloading, some better than others.

Fact is, reloading with BLACK POWDER is not really that hard. Some simple rules need to be followed.

You are striving for 100% loading density, you want the base of the bullet to be at the top of the powder or even to slightly crush the powder.

You want to use a black powder compatible lubricant on the boolit.

You will need mild primer of some sort to start the powder.

A good set of dies and a press of some sort round out the equation.

That is the basics. More can be learned by reading on fora like this one and others.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...q76&board=19.0

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...c41&board=18.0

There are others but those two will get you some information.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If you are shooting or wanting to shoot in SASS matches then you need some extra advise from what you have been told so far. I started shooting SASS matches about 8 years ago with the 45 Colt. If you follow some simple rules it's very easy to get stated.
    They have several books that you may read to get you a good start. The book that is on the Cast Boolits Forum in the sticky section that is named "FROM INGOT TO TARGET" by Glen Fryxell and Ron Applegate is a great start for the casting part.
    They have a man by the name of SAM FADALA that has written many books, about 4 or more on the loading and shooting of BP guns. Look on Amazon for those. You also have the excellent books by Mike Venturino of which I would start with the Shooting Six Guns Of The Old West followed by the Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West.
    I have shot nothing but BP guns in SASS since 2007 and now I shoot the 44wcf firearms. I'll go into that later.
    You don't want to shoot 3F powder as it will give more recoil and muzzle flash than the better suited 2F powder. Stick with the new Olde Eynsford or KIK powders. They maybe purchased from Jerrys Powder INC in Arkansas.
    To start out with the 45 Colt, I would recommend you use 45 Schofield cases for loading and shooting until you have a good feel for the sport. I'm not a fan of what is referred to as the mouse fart loads but when starting out, you need to get your feet wet first. The 45 Schofield case will hold about 27 grains as compared to the 35 or more of the Colt case. More control and using less powder.
    If you do get into the sport of SASS then I can help you out with the shotgun loading a little later.
    You need to purchase some Ballistol for cleaning your guns along with some EEzox oil to prevent rusting.
    They have several people who have never fired the first round of BP but they will tell you all about how it will rust your gun as soon as it's fired. All a bunch of old wives tales. You don't need to crash course this new to you sport, so go easy and start with the reading. Everything you know about shooting that other powder and then cleaning afterwards is completely different.
    I will be more than happy to help in any way I can if you contact me via a PM. Take Care David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Couple of things I learned the hard way to do with new brass,resize,check the trim length and go from there
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Welcome to Cast Boolits Stopsign. I see that you are broadening your horizons.

Here is a source for Boolits that are specifically tailored for BP. http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/BigLube.html

The owner is a frequent poster here and a good guy to do business with.

Vendor Sponsor

Size all your new brass before loading. It will give better neck tension after sizing.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

BP is easy and much good info has been said. About any good .45 boolit as long as it fits. I would only worry about being groove size or a little over.
    Soft lead is fine for BP and you don't want too tight a fit in the brass with soft but there are no restrictions with boolit hardness either. Tension is not too important with BP.
    The boolit MUST touch the powder is all and if you need to compress your load, do that before seating, Don't use the boolit to compress if it is soft. You can use wads over the powder for lighter loads as long as the boolit is on the wad, no gap.
    However, I agree you need some books.
    To clean the gun, remove the grips and cylinder and stick the whole gun in the laundry tub and wash it. Run very hot water through it all and dry, Spray with a good product like Barricade or Ballistol that will also lube the gun. Lube the cylinder pin, ratchet and front bushing with STP oil treatment and you will not wear the gun and it helps get more shots before binding up.
    Glad to have you here and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I have a LEE classic single stage press. I have a bag of 45 colt new brass and 1000 Winchester WLP large pistol primers. Other than that, I'm clueless.

Please don't write me off as a lost cause because I am a fast learner. However I have never reloaded but eager to learn.

I will be loading black powder (probably Goex) and would like to load as close to original specs as possible for that "feel like you were there".

I didn't know how hard it would be to find bullets for loading. I found a ton of casts for them but I don't believe I want to cast my own bullets. I'm unsure what powder to get because I see people talk about FFFg and also loading FFg. If it matters I will also be loading 10ga and 12ga brass shotgun loads.

I guess my main question is what equipment will I need and where can I find bullets? I read a 4" drop tube is a good option for pistol rounds but I also read it isn't needed.
    Like others, my counsel to you is to buy some good reloading handbooks and read them cover to cover before asking questions on the internet. I say this for two reasons;

1. You are most likely to receive good and bad advice on the internet, and you need some basic information in order to judge which is which.

2. Along the same path, being dependent on gun boards for basic information is not a good think and that dependence will come back to bite you sooner or later.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Ken good to see a friendly familiar place here. I've fallen hard for the ol single actions. Used to would never give them a second look.

I looked at amazon for some books but came back empty handed. Ill check more tonight when I can get to a computer rather than a phone.

So JPS big lube bullets are good to go?? Also how do I gauge my pistol to see if I need 252 or 254 cast?

thanks a ton for the help, everyone here seems extremely nice.

The Lyman handloading book is a good place to start.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

StrawHat hit the nail on the head, reloading Black Powder and reloading smokeless are NOT comparable. Black Powder can be both safer yet more hazardous than smokeless and rules regarding smokeless don't cross over to the Holy Black. Reloading books are a good idea but don't expect much if any information helpful to your endeavor.

Regarding fffg versus ffg, the original load was using a balloon head case which held approximately 40gr of ffg under a 250gr (I think) boolit. Given the modern brass we use you won't cram 40gr of ffg or even fffg into a case. For my version of mil-spec 45 Colt loads I compress 38gr of fffg under a 200-210gr boolit. I will tell you right now that these loads HURT!!! My typical load is around 25-30gr of fffg under the same boolit using cornmeal filler to take up the extra space.

On sizing I recommend not sizing 45 Colt brass. It will fire form to your chambers and reduce the typical blow back that 45 Colt produces. Since you won't have any air space in the brass then you have no worries about boolits "setting back" on you and a medium roll crimp will keep the projectiles where you want 'em. For my purposes I size all 45 Colt boolits (Black Powder & smokeless) to .454 to cut down on blow back.

What's the deal with "boolits" over bullets? Curiosity is killing me...

Bullets are "store bought" and usually plated or jacketed. Boolits are custom cast from lead alloys or pure lead. For the most part when you see the term boolit it refers to a hand cast projectile usually produced by the person shooting it. Loading and shooting cast boolits is more of an art form than a science, especially when it comes to super sonic rounds and smokeless powder.

By the way, I don't know how you've got your forum settings but I did send you a PM regarding your 45 Colt loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    What's the deal with "boolits" over bullets? Curiosity is killing me...
    This started some years back because some folks thought it was cute and other claim it was to fool the anti-gun search robots looking to insert wires into the brains of gun owners or some such other paranoid stuff.

I have never used the cute term, because I think it is...well...kinda stupid. A bullet is a bullet, is a bullet, whether lead alloy, gliding metal, bought or produced in my garage.

My son called them boolits when he was 3. It was cute

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast