WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: If you could have only one revolver.....

Boolit Grand Master

If you could have only one revolver.....

as the title says. If you could have one revolver as a do it all revolver, what would you choose. I will be in this boat for a while until some things in my life improve.

I have the opportunity to trade straight across with a rifle, which is expendable to me with no attachment, for a LNIB Smith 629 Classic with 5" barrel. It handles well and I've always enjoyed the N frames. I know it's not as strong as a BH/RH/SRH, but all I need is a Keith running at 1200 for everyday work. Which I'm casting up now.

Opinions?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Depending on how much you shoot, as long as you keep the loads moderate, your 1200 fps should be OK,the 629 should be OK, but if you intend to shoot more than 5000 full power loads over the life of the gun, you should look at something else. I don't know how the current stainless Smiths compare to the old ones, but in the '70s and '80s I wore out two blued 29s which got annual factory trained armorer PM and by the time the cranes had been stretched twice, the barrel set back to close excessive cylinder gap, and oversized lock parts put in and the guns factory repaired to cure cylinder backspin with hot loads I gave up and bought two Rugers, which I still have and use. Original Redhawk 5-1/2" and a 5-1/2" Super Blackhawk I shot a great deal and had factory rebuilt in 2001. One Ruger rebuilt in 20 years is OK with me.

If I were to choose one, it would be my rebuilt 5-1/2" .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk with Bowen Rough Country sights, Belt Mountain locking basepin, steel XR3 grip frame and extra .44-40 line-bored cylinder, by John Taylor, which out shoots the original .44 Magnum cylinder.

Attachment 147699
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-28-2015 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Add photo
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Personally i don't care for the Classic with the full under lug, just an asthetics thing with me. But if ya could only have one, an N frame smith would be at the top of my list too!

I have my do everything revolver, it's a 625 Mountain gun in 45 Colt that's been cut for full moon clips. I like the dual use thing, my second favorite is a 4 5/8" Blackhawk convertible in 45 colt/45acp.
    -Jesse

For me it'd have to be a smith M1917, 45acp

Boolit Grand Master

Had a blued 625 MG that I sold on here actually. Didn't shoot it much. The newer 629's have some changes to ensure longer life than the old 29s. I'm sure I'll send some full power loads down range but that not my primary MO.

Boolit Master

45 Colt. Very versatile!

Boolit Grand Master

I have various Smiths and Rugers that I love but if I only had one it would be my Dan Wesson 15-2 in 357 Mag.

Boolit Buddy
    N frame is hard to beat. Mine choice would be a 657 though.

Boolit Grand Master

I hate the "If you could only have one..." threads but I feel I have an answer for this one. Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Unique plinker loads, crowd-pleasing BP loads and rhino-rolling hunting loads all in one attractive and affordable package. On top of all that you won't be scrimping in the accuracy or durability departments either.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    My GP-100, it will do anything I need it to do. In fact it is my only centerfire revolver.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Only one. I have a Smith 657 power port in 41 mag that will not ever be sold. Thats my choice If I didn't have that it would be any other 41 mag. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Perm-Banned
    uberti 1871-1872 .38 special open top. nickle plated with custom checkered grips. wanted one since i first found out their is such a revolver. sits in a drawer loaded along side my bed if i need it. almost did the other night. 3 drunks showed up at our very rural home very late the other night. the drunks around here get real mean. if they would have kicked the door in they would have had a suprise. i and the 71 kept calm in the house. later the county cops took care of them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Toss-up for me between my S&W 686 x 4" or the 629 Mtn Gun x 4". 95% of my 44 Mag revolver shooting gets done with 240-250 grain bullets running 1100-1200 FPS, or lower velocities than that.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy

That is a very tough question. Do convertibles count? If so I'd have to go with my Freedom Arms 83 in 454 with 45 Colt cylinder. I love that revolver. If convertibles don't qualify I'd go with my FA 97 in 44 Special.

Boolit Master

625 MG, 686, or 629. Does narrowing it down to one manufacturer count?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I hate the "If you could only have one..." threads but I feel I have an answer for this one. Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Unique plinker loads, crowd-pleasing BP loads and rhino-rolling hunting loads all in one attractive and affordable package. On top of all that you won't be scrimping in the accuracy or durability departments either.
    My thoughts exactly. I could live with my black hawk 41 too

Boolit Buddy
    If it was One
    It would be my
    Dan Wessen 44mag SS 8in
    Would love to find a 6in barrel.......

That is one easy question.

if single action: Freedom Arms
    if double action: Korth

In .357 Mag.
    Last edited by Ola; 08-28-2015 at 06:18 AM.

Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt. 4 5/8" barrel. It sure would be nice in a Bisley but the only factory offering is not a Bisley.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

6.5" .41Mag Blackhawk as it appears in my Avatar
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast