Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: If you could have only one revolver.....

Boolit Buddy
    4 3/4" Ruger 45 convertible flattop does everything I need from a handgun but I would hate to part with my Model 58.

Eric

Boolit Master
    For me it would be an "N" frame with a 4" skinny barrel chambered for the 45 ACP. Everything I need in a handgun. One of these three would be fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S&W M28 conversion 007 (Small) (2).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	147670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	147671Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22 2.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	147672

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

That would also be my choice a 5" 629 classic .
    Ive have them in 8.3, 6.5, 6.0, 5.0 and 3.0 inch barrels . as well as three other models of S&W revolver's with 5" barrels a 625 and two PC 627's .

Boolit Master

S&W M28:

I'm guessing this gun will outlive me several times over. A .357 magnum will take any game animal on this continent with the right ammo if I do my part. The N frame gobbles up recoil and that fat cylinder holds in that magnum pressure for all of the hot loads. I would pair this gun with my Rossi R92 as my go to hell combo.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

I have to add my 2 cents; something in .357. While my general be all-end all is the .22LR, the last few years have proven that to be a headache. Since .22LR is not easily re-loaded it became the next most popular in terms of sales and thus availability and that would be the .38/.357 combo. While not the powerhouse that the .44 or .45 have the ability to become, the .38/.357 offers both wide spread availability as well as re-loadability. Certainly downloaded .38's are fine for small game and of course the .357 is adequate for any medium sized game (as well as two-legged varmints).
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Oh, and as to manufacture? Dan wesson with all the barrels 2"-12" just because I can only own one
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

My 5.5" stainless Bisley .44. I have tricked it out with a lanyard ring, belt mountain pin, Bowen sights and a trigger job. It has taken a pile of deer, a hog, 2 coyotes and shoots very well with full snort loads and woods bumming loads of red dot. I did some of my best shooting with it by making repeated hits on a dishwasher sized rock at a lasered 313 yards from standing two handed hold. It also helped persuade a couple of trespassers that we should all just wait for the deputy to arrive. I know that all I have to do is shoot up to it's potential.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    my ruger old model Blackhawk with 4 5/8 barrel in .357. It is my first centerfire wheelgun. bought used in 72 still going strong.

Boolit Grand Master
    To me, one center fire revolver to do it all implies CCW, small game, large game, plinking and various target games. I can't think of anything more versatile than a 4" .357. Probably a stainless medium frame like a Ruger Security Six or S&W K Frame. Next in line would be a GP-100 or 686.

Blued versions would work just as well, they just require a bit more maintenance.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I've had several model 29's and 629's the last one was of the new design. Everyone of them backed up with factory loaded 240 grain bullets. I'll never own another as I don't like bang, bang, click. I don't own a 44 anymore, 41mag and 45 colt blackhawks.
    My current favorite.

This is a very subjective question as we all don't have the same needs and wants in a handgun. For me I would want a good rugged 357 Magnum. the 38 Special will do 98% of what I want a handgun to do and the other 2% can be done with the longer magnum. I am not leaving Texas unless it is in a pine box, so I don't have to worry about big critters with teeth and claws.

I have two sixguns that will fill the bill nicely;

1. The first is a stock Smith and Wesson 6" Model 28 that I bought new in 1982.

2. The second is an old 1972 vintage 3 screw Ruger Blackhawk, I bought used in 1996 for $125.00. The barrel, cylinder and finish were trashed, so I sent it back to Ruger for new parts and a refinish. I later added a stainless steel grip frame, a steel ejector rod and a Belt Mountain base pin. It is a fine shooting, well balanced and long lived sixgun.

Either one of these two would serve me well as my "one and only".
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

.41 Blackhawk. From light weight cast plinkers or jacketed splatter bullets to deep penetration Winchester lever action duplication loads it's just about the most versatile thing I've ever worked with.

If it was going to be a self defense weapon I'd want a double action.

Sometimes, necessity is indeed the mother of invention, or something like that. As a college students, my funds were in short supply and all I had was a USGI Remington-Rand 1911A1, with loading tools and a bullet mold. For three years, I did everything with this one handgun in spite of it's asserted limitations. I hunted deer, javelina, jack rabbits, skunks, coyotes, porcupines and even killed a deer with it plus a Mountain Lion. It also saved my bacon in one "inter-personal" dispute in Ojinaga Mexico.

I could again press a good 1911 into service as a do all handgun. The Remington-Rand is long gone but I still have a good Colt GM and a Norinco 1911A1. The Norinco has had a sight and barrel upgrade, but other than that is stock. Of course we do change grips on such pistols. Ivory on the Colt and Mesquite on the Norinco. Just a year or so ago, I retrofitted both pistols with a long trigger. With arthritis setting up in my shooting hand, I find the longer trigger easier to use. Years ago, I was a short trigger man.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Your OP say you can trade straight across for an expendable rifle, to get a S&W 357.
    Take the deal!!
    Its a no brainer.
    If you want a stronger gun, trade later.
    Take the S&W now, and back off the loads from your 1200fps to 1125, probably a much lighter load on the gun, but nothing on the receiving end will know the difference between 1200 or 1125fps.

Boolit Master
    It isn't much of a do it all gun, but if I could have only one revolver it would be a 2" J frame .38 special and nothing else is even in the running. It handles one essential duty better than anything else I have found.

Other non-revolvers, short gun or long, could fill any other firearm need I might have. That is hard to write since I am basically a hand gunner and basically a revolver guy at that. But larger revolvers are for entertainment these days.
    Rule 303

Carry one gun ? That makes about as much sense as carrying one bullet .

Boolit Buddy

Easy answer: Ruger GP-100, 4" barrel, in 357 Magnum (yes, they did make a few in .38 Spl.). This revolver can literally do it all and do it fairly well. It's a decent choice for defence (though I prefer to carry a 1911 for that application), you can hunt up to mid-sized game (deer and pigs) and with its adjustable sights, it's a decent plinker and target revolver. It's also the only .357 revolver that can be fairly easily field stripped. I prefer the 6" version, but since I'm including defence in its duties and assuming that concealability comes in to play, I was willing to shave off a couple of inches. You don't lose much with the shorter length.

If, in an uber survival situation, I had to go out into a dangerous world with only one handgun - auto or revolver - it would be the GP-100.

Best regards
    Doc

I'd either pick my S&W Model 14-2 or my S&W Model 10-8 with a 4-inch bull barrel.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If my one and only revolver is also my one and only handgun, I would have to go with the S&W 64 with round butt and 3" tube. Apparently alot of folks agree with me, these things are always north of $400.00 on the auction sites. If I was allowed to have an additional pistol to use for CCW but could choose only one wheelgun I would take a 67 with heavy barrel.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

My choice would be a S&W 66 K frame .357 with a 4" barrel. Small enough for concealed carry, powerful enough for deer if necessary, can shoot 38 specials when you can't handload, will last forever if you mainly shoot moderate 38s in it, and a good single action trigger pull out of the box.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast