RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What should you call REAL black powder?

For me to just get one can of black is just enough to load for one day at the range.
    I have a hard time keeping my lead and tin supply up more then powder.

Banned

i don't get to shoot bpcr as much as i should and would like, so i'm only going through a tad over 25# of swiss 1-1/2f per year. the good part (for me) is that's what it takes (25#) to qualify for no shipping or hazmat fees when i order from mainepowderhouse ... so far, a $575/year habit that i'm hoping will get worse.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Where does it end? ����

End??? END??????

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Keep your fingers crossed and ask the spirits in the sky to keep it going till the end of time. Life without BP would not be life at all!!!!
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    The fellow asked me what I wanted it for. I said for my .45-70. His reply was "black powder in a .45-70!?!, are you sure? Be careful man!"
    Should have asked him what the '70' means in 45/70.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    mail order works just fine. yes, there will be shipping and hazmat fees but will also typically be tax free. for me, it's totally worth it as no sub can compare to swiss 1-1/2f for my bpcr rifles and swiss 3f for my muzzleloaders. ymmv.

to beat the shipping and hazmat fees, most online bp sales offer a bulk 25# rate with no fees at all ... can you say "group buy"?
    Not tax free here in Louisiana, some sellers are in state and if out of state you pay the sales tax on your state income tax form.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Banned
    I buy my real stuff from Grafs, usually along with a few thousand primers. There's not a single place anywhere near here that carries real black powder.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by quickdraw66 View Post
    I buy my real stuff from Grafs, usually along with a few thousand primers. There's not a single place anywhere near here that carries real black powder.
    Same here, mail order only. I need to start thinking about putting together another order soon...getting low on the Holy Black.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Jerry's Inc. in Arkansas is my first place to purchase from and he does not charge me any tax as I live in Louisiana. His service is first rate and he is a nice guy to buy from. Graf's in Missouri is another good BP dealer that carries a nice line of BP. Ordering from these dealers makes it a no hassle deal as you never leave your home. The prices shown are the TYD price. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    Do as I, make your own. Less than $3 lb & as fast as Swiss.

Fly

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    Jerry's Inc. in Arkansas is my first place to purchase from and he does not charge me any tax as I live in Louisiana. His service is first rate and he is a nice guy to buy from. Graf's in Missouri is another good BP dealer that carries a nice line of BP. Ordering from these dealers makes it a no hassle deal as you never leave your home. The prices shown are the TYD price. Later David
    You know that you are supposed to pay the sales tax on your State Income tax form.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    You know that you are supposed to pay the sales tax on your State Income tax form.

Tim
    Do you really do that? Just asking because PA has the same regulation. No one enters online purchases on their tax forms. Most businesses duck this as well. Only place I buy from online is Amazon and they charge the sales tax already.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by milrifle View Post
    The only place I have found any black powder is Bass Pro in Savannah, which is about 75 miles away. Not a big deal, as we are in Savannah regularly, but all they have is Goex. There is a Cabella's in Augusta, which about 100 miles away. Next time I am there, I will check with them. Small locally owned gun stores? Haven't found one that carries it yet.
    Dont waste your time they dont carry any.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Do you really do that? Just asking because PA has the same regulation. No one enters online purchases on their tax forms. Most businesses duck this as well. Only place I buy from online is Amazon and they charge the sales tax already.
    Yes, I do. How do you know that nobody does this? Yeah, I know, my friends are tax cheats too and not just the sales tax. Many people have low moral standards. Why would I cheat on my taxes? How much would a person owe, maybe another $100. I mostly don't buy online and it is often Amazon so the taxes there are paid like you said but sometimes I might make a purchase elsewhere. A bigger item I have to include on my taxes, not in the last few years but farther back, was sales of found brass. I sold a lot of brass that I picked up at the range, that was pure profit and had to be included on Federal taxes and thus to the State as well. I know some good people who cheat, I don't get it. Is money really that short or is it something else, I think it is just greed and that is evil. It is sad when good people do evil things.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master

What should you call REAL black powder?

Call it an unofficial poll in social situations. When PA started enforcing that online retailers charge state sales tax if they have a physical presence here I started asking everyone. People either laughed or said they didn't know they were supposed to report it. Many said their accountants told them not to worry about reporting it. My job puts me in a lot of businesses so of course I asked them as well. Same response. The majority of people, that I talked to, just didn't care about reporting it. I won't derail the thread any further.

In Remembrance
    Do you really do that?
    Yes, I do.
    My respects, Sir.

CM

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    My respects, Sir.

CM
    Thank you. I am sorry for calling people who don't pay this tax greedy, maybe some just don't know or are really that stretched financially that they need every penny. I have mentioned before, it might be easier for me to pay this tax, it is a pittance compared to what I pay every year. I have also mentioned that I return found money if I can. I don't give to panhandlers but that is different.

I pay what I owe and returned found money because I make way more than I spend, I have much and don't need much more. I also believe in a form of "Karma" that says that if I do right with things good things will happen for me. If someone is getting the wrong idea, don't bother asking me for anything, I don't like beggars. I will give to those I choose not those who choose me.

I can't promise if you practice this kind of "Karma" that riches will flow to you but you will still know that you did the right thing. If my family had very little and I found a twenty, I would keep it and use it to help with the bills and thank God and hope it was a Karmatic return.

Last year right before Christmas I lost my wedding band. I hoped that it did not come off when I was drying my hands with a paper towel in the men's room at work (that is what I was doing when I noticed it gone) and since I did not find it (I searched the trash) I hoped that maybe someone poor found it and used it to buy Christmas presents for their kids. I found the ring a couple months ago on the floor in my garage. My wife had already bought me a replacement.

Sorry for the ramble.

Tim

I'm new to the black powder shooting. What are the main differences and disadvantages/advantages of using a black powder substitute.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    I'm kind of partial to the term "Holy Smoke".
    I thought it was called "Holy Black"?

In Remembrance
    I thought it was called "Holy Black"?
    Yeah ... Holy Black makes Holy Smoke.

And, by the way ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast