Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Boxing/Storing Shotshells?

Boolit Buddy

Boxing/Storing Shotshells?

What is your favorite way of storing/boxing reloaded shotshells? I primarily use a shotgun for traps, skeet and sporting clays and usually just store my reloaded shells in factory cardboard boxes, which fit in my pouch while shooting. I've seen other shooters store theirs in plastic ammo type boxes and and place the shells loose in a pouch.

Boolit Master

I use the mtm plastic box that has a tray in it holds a 100 shells,or a bandolier on my waders if I'm headed to the duck blind
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 08-26-2015 at 10:12 AM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I have a leather box type pouch that holds a box of shells.

I just put the reloaded shells in a factory paper box and then that slips into the leather box on my belt.

When the paper box gets old I get new ones from the trash bin at the range from the guys that shoot factory shells!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

I use five gallon buckets, and drop about 500 12 gauge rounds into each one straight out of the loading machine. You can fit more in, but 500 is about my limit for lifting and carrying to the car trunk. At my informally run skeet range, where I can normally park right next to the field, I just count out 25 shells at a time and drop them into my vest.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Modern plastic shotshells are much more effectively sealed against moisture than the waxed paper tubes of my youth. For long term storage the weakest link is the outer cardboard packaging. In tropical climates these will store for many years if the outer corrugated cardboard boxes are protected with a good grade of marine spar varnish and stored on shelves or pallets raised off the concrete floor, covered with canvas, scattering mothballs under the canvas, being renewed yearly, to discourage insects and rodents.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I use a MEC shotshell tray to stack the loaded hulls. Then slide a factory box over the top and mark it. These things cost $12 and are well worth the cost as they make filling boxes super easy.

Most shot shell bags or belts have pouches which will hold a box of 12 ga. I save my boxes, but I watch others who rip the lids and ears off the boxes making them useless.

For my .410 I actually had to buy some boxes from BPI as I didn't have enough factory boxes to use due to the $12.50 a box price.

I store all ammo in steel cabinets.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    I use five gallon buckets, and drop about 500 12 gauge rounds into each one straight out of the loading machine. You can fit more in, but 500 is about my limit for lifting and carrying to the car trunk. At my informally run skeet range, where I can normally park right next to the field, I just count out 25 shells at a time and drop them into my vest.
    ^^^^^ +1

Boolit Master
    I get like new shot shell boxes on eBay. Load and stack in big wooden ammo crate .but I can't lug the crate around.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I use a MEC shotshell tray to stack the loaded hulls. Then slide a factory box over the top and mark it. These things cost $12 and are well worth the cost as they make filling boxes super easy.

Most shot shell bags or belts have pouches which will hold a box of 12 ga. I save my boxes, but I watch others who rip the lids and ears off the boxes making them useless.

Randy
    I have bags full of empty boxes. I also use the shotshell tray and store my shells in the case boxes on shelves. Probably have 20 or so cases reloaded between my regular and handicap loads.

I made it a habit years ago to grab every empty shot-shell box and cardboard case I could lay my hands on...

the factory boxes work, but if you can't get them various reloading supplier sell white boxes for shot-shell packaging

Midway had them...

I repack gun club boxes and then put them in an ammo can that fits 4 shotshell boxes perfect.

Boolit Master
    I stack them in bulk in 30 and 50 cal. metal ammo boxes.

Boolit Master

+1
    on MTM plastic boxes. keeps shells from being crushed. can see how many are in the box without opening
    they don't get soggy with rain or humidity
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I actually use the cardboard boxes but I flip them inside out. Carefully loosen the side seam and hot glue it in reverse. Have a nice blank cardboard box for writing my info on.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used plastic coolers before or 5 gallon buckets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    I stack them in bulk in 50 cal. metal ammo boxes.
    +1-- I keep a bunch of 50 Cal. ammo cans around for 12 gauge storage. Easy to carry and waterproof as they are all sealed when closed.

Boolit Master
    I use the factory boxes but pop the glue seams and reglue inside out also. I have some adhesive backed printer paper and custom old fashioned label designs i print out and slap on the boxes. I don't go through them like many of you guys do.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed