Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: 17 hmr

Boolit Buddy

17 hmr

I am considering a Savage 93 in 17 HMR. Now I hear that there is a problem with the cases exploding. I need the truth before I commit. Any info

Boolit Master
    I've got a number of 17HMR rifles including a Savage 93....I've never witnessed a case exploding, and I've not heard of this happening. Where did you get this information.

The 17HMR is a fantastic cartridge. But you need to treat it like and jacketed bullet rifle with velocity well over 2000fps......clean the bore!

I make a bore guide for this rifle and hundreds of folks are using them. I've not heard of one exploding case by any of them...

Get it, you'll love it!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master

The semiauto's had an issue mostly related to dirty chambers. I have over 6 K through two CZ 452's. I did have one lot of ammo that I did get some neck cracks but zero gas leakage. Buddy has a Savage 93 with over 4K with zero issues. I love the 17 HMR

The 17 Mach 2 has more issues with neck slips and blown case in auto's. It's not as much a cartridge problem as a chamber problem. I have one that never cracks a necks and one that does 50% of the time. I clean the chamber on my 17 Mach 2 semiauto every 250.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-25-2015 at 09:32 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had a few neck splits. Nothing to worry about. Some out there have reported problems from split cases in the box of new ammo, causing squibs. Never had that yet myself but I do check the bullets before use.
    Good calibre used within it's limits.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks folks. I guess it was split necks that I was referring to. Another site poster said that the cases exploded.

The only time I have ever seen a case "explode" was when it was in a fire.

Boolit Master
    split case necks? hmmmm, brittle brass would be my guess.

In Remembrance

A friend was having extraction problems with his model 93. I asked how many rounds were thru the gun, answer was about 4 boxes. I next asked did he clean the chamber when he cleaned the rifle, answer "clean the rifle?" After a good cleaning the cases extract like they were meant to. Saw 10 boxes of Win Supreme 17 HMR ammo go on an on line auction Monday for $164.95, not sure if that is a good price or not as I don`t own such a beast.Robert

Boolit Master
    change to the 20 gr bullet. the 17 gr don't work or shoot well in the 93 I have the 20s work fine.
    My 93 is an early one .could be problem for the 17 gr
    best I was able to get was about 2in at 50-75 yds . 100 was off the board. the 20 gr I could do very good with
    never seen a split but I cant say as I didn't keep the brass .

Boolit Master

I have shot thousands of rounds through my 93/17.
    The gun is great. Very accurate.
    The magazines suck.....dale

Boolit Grand Master

My prairie dog buddies have owned Marlins and Savages. Guns shot great but same as you they had magazine issues. Both got traded for CZ 452's. No more mag. Issues

Boolit Grand Master

The Remington 597M (like mine) was recalled because of case failures. When it got a bit dirty I would see a few bulged cases near the rim but only a few case failures. Just got it back from RP with a shiny new 22 Mag tube screwed into it.
    While it was gone I snagged a Ruger American in 17 HMR to shoot up my 17HMR ammo. The Remington was a pretty fair shooter but I think this little Ruger may be better. Bore is likely a little rough because groups start growing after about 50 rounds. Hopefully it will smooth up a bit over time.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus
    The Savage I have shoots great. About 1/2" or less at 50 yds is common. POI is the same at 100 yds, which is great.

Boolit Master
    The most accurate HMR I own is my H&R heavy-barreled that I got NIB for $119 at Bi-Mart.

The Nicest is my 453 American, which never gets dragged across boulders like the handirifle does.

100 rds fits in my T-shirt pocket. Luvvit!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in TX View Post
    I am considering a Savage 93 in 17 HMR. Now I hear that there is a problem with the cases exploding. I need the truth before I commit. Any info
    I bought the savage 93r last year great gun mine shoots the 20 grain ammo best. The only quirk is with the magazine I need to have the bolt closed when inserting it. If it's open the magazine goes in a little to far and feeding is hit and miss. With the bolt closed feeding is not an issue.
    Retired Smsgt IL ANG 183 FW

Boolit Master

I bought a 93/17 soon after the 17 hmr hit the scene and have zero problems. It shoots well with 17 or 20 grainers from hornady also shoots cci and federal okay. It dislikes remington.