RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how does Bens RED LUBE &Liquid lube hold up in storage.???

how does Bens RED LUBE &Liquid lube hold up in storage.???

so everyone says bens liquid lube makes alox really hard and slick, so has anyone ever had it melt off the bullets in the heat ? my garage reaches 120 sometimes, and we keep the house at 80.

Love Life
    No, I have never had it melt off. Even on boolits left in my truck.

Nope!

Once dried it is locked in place. Not only does it not sweat, but anything under it like Ben's Red in the grooves does not seem to sweat or slip either. But I live up north, not down in the heat.

I would however be very surprised to see it fail.

Last, I see a lot of people playing around with coatings like PC. Once I found Ben's Red and Ben's Liquid Lube. No more interest at all. BLL is so simple and easy to make and use and works so well why look for something else?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Nope!

Once dried it is locked in place. Not only does it not sweat, but anything under it like Ben's Red in the grooves does not seem to sweat or slip either. But I live up north, not down in the heat.

I would however be very surprised to see it fail.

Last, I see a lot of people playing around with coatings like PC. Once I found Ben's Red and Ben's Liquid Lube. No more interest at all. BLL is so simple and easy to make and use and works so well why look for something else?
    exactly. im really interested in the liquid lube. mostly because of its easy to use. ill assume i will be coating only 100 bullets at a time, so thats where the question came from. it was 116 last saturday.......................................... .................

is there any harm in using white label red lube instead of alox?

or does it really need to be alox?

I can attest to the Liquid Lube holding up, I live in central Texas with no AC in my garage. I store my lubed slugs in mason jars in there and the lube stays on with no sign of any melting.
    I love ugly guns and ugly bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihsarah View Post
    I can attest to the Liquid Lube holding up, I live in central Texas with no AC in my garage. I store my lubed slugs in mason jars in there and the lube stays on with no sign of any melting.
    beautiful... that was a big worry. especially the thought of it leaking on powder while il aiming at a big hog....

Boolit Grand Master
    Find something else to be concerned about.
    Once Ben's Liquid is dry, that's it.

Ben

Ben, I was just asking. I'm still new to everything

Boolit Grand Master
    We all started out " new ". Nothing wrong with your question.

I just wanted to stress that you have zero worries with Ben's Liquid Lube.

Ben I asked in a different form, can I use the white label alox or have you found lees version it's superior?

Boolit Grand Master
    I seriously doubt that there is much difference.

Ben

I ask cause someone gave me a bottle. So I have like 24 oz sitting around

Quote Originally Posted by LAKEMASTER View Post
    I ask cause someone gave me a bottle. So I have like 24 oz sitting around
    I've heard Lar's trys to match his as close to lee's as he can in thickness of the alox...doubt you could prove the difference in them.
    I just stumbled into 4 bottles of the lee the other day or i would have already ordered some from White Labels.

I'm a big fan the Ben's Red lube and use it alone or with an overcoat of BLL.
    Lately i've been using straight BLL(3 coats) in my 35 whelen as a stand alone lube and it works great!! It puts my first shot in the group from a cold bbl. just like Ben's Red does.
    I've shot up to 2500 fps. with it...zero problems.

Boolit Master
    Lakemaster, in your beginning post your query was about Bens Red Lube and Bens Liquid Lube. Two very distinctly different lubes as I'm sure you know. The bulk of the replies focus on the tumble lube (Bens Liquid Lube) and it is an excellent choice. Especially if heat is an issue. Made it and use it on occasion. Simple, economical and easy to apply. I like the Bens Red Lube better and have had so much success with it I only use that lube....in 3 different lubesizers for 2 rifle calibers, 3 pistol calibers and 4 different revolvers loadings. Making it isn't hard if the materials are available locally. Lucas Red&Tacky took me a while to find. But...ain't there always one of those? I store all my loaded ammo in military ammo cans in the room at the south end of my home. It gets hot in there. At times...probably 100 degrees. This past Sunday I put a new spring in the 1911/.45acp and headed to the range and had several (5 out of 32!) misfires. The primer sounded very odd going off..no pop!...more like an electrical crackle. That sound you hear when you touch the positive pole on the car battery with an errant wrench sound. The boolit did exit every time but didn't go far. No slide cycle. I checked the bore every time...all clear except for a lot of unburned powder in there. I pulled a dozen rounds and the powder is in there. (Bullseye) I'll pull the rest this weekend. I never touched the primers. All dumped from the package right into the auto-prime. I am concerned the lube may have migrated and contaminated the powder charge. That much heat for a couple months...who knows. I have 2K loaded rounds setting in there. Wish me luck. Audie...the Oldfart..

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart1956 View Post
    Lakemaster, in your beginning post your query was about Bens Red Lube and Bens Liquid Lube. Two very distinctly different lubes as I'm sure you know. The bulk of the replies focus on the tumble lube (Bens Liquid Lube) and it is an excellent choice. Especially if heat is an issue. Made it and use it on occasion. Simple, economical and easy to apply. I like the Bens Red Lube better and have had so much success with it I only use that lube....in 3 different lubesizers for 2 rifle calibers, 3 pistol calibers and 4 different revolvers loadings. Making it isn't hard if the materials are available locally. Lucas Red&Tacky took me a while to find. But...ain't there always one of those? I store all my loaded ammo in military ammo cans in the room at the south end of my home. It gets hot in there. At times...probably 100 degrees. This past Sunday I put a new spring in the 1911/.45acp and headed to the range and had several (5 out of 32!) misfires. The primer sounded very odd going off..no pop!...more like an electrical crackle. That sound you hear when you touch the positive pole on the car battery with an errant wrench sound. The boolit did exit every time but didn't go far. No slide cycle. I checked the bore every time...all clear except for a lot of unburned powder in there. I pulled a dozen rounds and the powder is in there. (Bullseye) I'll pull the rest this weekend. I never touched the primers. All dumped from the package right into the auto-prime. I am concerned the lube may have migrated and contaminated the powder charge. That much heat for a couple months...who knows. I have 2K loaded rounds setting in there. Wish me luck. Audie...the Oldfart..
    I'll be honest, that is why I wanted to know about the liquid lube. I do want to try and stay away from grease,atf, and crude base stp because of the heat around here.

And, the liquid lube is stupid easy to make and store

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using the White Label alox since I started making BLL and it works great. And a lot less expensive than Lee's alox.

Boolit Master
    This is not exactly about Ben's version, but I think the data is useful anyway. I had some spare time back in 1990 so I cast up a giant batch of Lee 45-200 TL bullets, lubed them with Lee Liquid Alox, loaded them up and dumped them into a 50 caliber ammo can. That particular can of ammo has traveled around with me ever since, spending summers in outdoor sheds, garages, car trunks, etc.

I finally shot up the very last of that ammo last spring. After all those years and all those freeze/thaw cycles, the very last round shot exactly like the first. Since Ben's liquid is primarily Alox I would expect it to perform similarly.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes Elkins45,
    I'm with you.
    I'd expect no less.

Ben

Boolit Master

Ben, I do have a question about your experiments and findings. . .

Have you played around with upping the content of wax in the BLL - primarily when using it as a sealant or nose lube in conjunction with sizer-applied Ben's Red?

I've noted that when swirling the Ben's Red lubed bullets in BLL, they don't get that rock hard shell you get when simply tumble lubing, but stay a bit tacky - so they seem to be picking up "stuff" from the Ben's Red. The solution would seem to be either "use less BLL" or "add more floor wax".

Figured I'd ask the Master. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast