RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone using blackhorn powder

Boolit Buddy

I loaded up some Blackhorn 209 for my 45-70 Trapdoor and took it out the other day. I've been using it exclusively for the past few months. My initial loadings were a little light, but I still got pretty good accuracy. I wanted to fine tune the load, so I upped the grains and went with 3 different loadings.

I ran the following:

33 gr. topped with 2 1/8" hard felt wads.
    35 gr. topped with 2 1/8" hard felt wads.
    37 gr. topped with 1 1/8" hard felt wads.

The boolit was a Accurate 461-405 30-1 alloy, lubed with beeswax, cooking oil and lanolin (55-35-10). I lit it off with a Remington 9 1/2 magnum primer, and the flasholes were drilled out .093 and uniformed with a Lyman flash hole uniformer.

All loads performed very well, with the 37 grain load giving the best group. The target shows the 33 gr load at the top, the 35 grain load in the middle, and the 37 grain load at the bottom. the 33 gr load was about 12" high, 35 gr load was about 13" high, and the 37 gr load was about 14" high @ 50 yds.

All together I shot about 30 rounds through the rifle and never stopped to wipe the barrel. Afterwards I just pushed 3 or 4 patches wetted with TC BP bore cleaner through it until they came out clean. I did my regular routine for cleaning after I got back home.

I used to run 5744 in my Traps, but I couldn't stand the unburned kernels in the bore. 5744 did give some good accuracy, too, and cleanup wasn't bad either. Blackpowder is somewhat hard to find in my area, so I tend to save what I have for my P53, Sniders, and Martini's.

Incidentally, the 37 grain load nearly fills the case leaving room for only one felt wad. Probably a more accurate load that what I can shoot with my old eyes...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3775[1].jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	152257
    Top 33 gr.
    Middle 35 gr.
    Bottom 37 gr.

Name:	IMAG3778_1[1].jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	152258
    37 gr. load close up.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by craig61a View Post

All loads performed very well, with the 37 grain load giving the best group.
    Incidentally, the 37 grain load nearly fills the case leaving room for only one felt wad.

Name:	IMAG3778_1[1].jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	152258
    37 gr. load close up.

Ive been shooting 37 gr blackhorn in two of my rifles, the 45-70 and 42 Wesson with great results.

Perm-Banned
    i dont remember if i mentioned it but i use 209 powder in my 45 long colt and love it. i use a hard fiber wad between powder and bullet. i compress it some and roll crimp. shoots very clean and very accurate. i use no lube on the bullet and never have any leading. i believe the hard fiber wad prevents leading. ive alway thought the 209 powder would be great an 45/70 or 50/70 trapdoors. i also think the 209 powder and a paperpatched bullet would work great in a trapdoor. a hollow based bullet would be my choise. i shoot paperpatched swagged hollow based bullets in both my 45/70/s. one is a cpa and the other a buffalo classic. im very very happy black horn 209 powder was developed.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    i shoot paperpatched swagged hollow based bullets in both my 45/70/s. one is a cpa and the other a buffalo classic. im very very happy black horn 209 powder was developed.
    One of the neat things I like about 209 and paperpatching, is one doesn't have to do anything special if patching to groove. I shoot them identical to my BP loads.

Boolit Master
    I've shot a fair amount in the 45 colt using a cci350 and 22 grains behind about any 250. Also a fun load in a500 Smith and Wesson with 35 grains and a Lyman 510680. Love the stuff for a medium load as it fills the case and accuracy is great.

Boolit Bub
    Have you ever tried 209 in a 45-90?

Boolit Grand Master

Several on the local leagues are using it in 45-70 and 40-65 with good results. Ive never personally used it though. Look for published data and work from there

Will Blackthorn ignite consistently with cap &ball revolver caps? I use 777 in my Ruger Old Army because black powder can't be sold at my local gun store and I don't like Pyro. Heard good stuff about Blackthorn..

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    Will Blackthorn ignite consistently with cap &ball revolver caps? I use 777 in my Ruger Old Army because black powder can't be sold at my local gun store and I don't like Pyro. Heard good stuff about Blackthorn..
    No.....

Loyd, you and I have been posting here for more than a decade! I recently used 209 in an inline ML was impressed. I use it at a high altitude shooting camp for kids. The love the inline using TC Maxiballs or 50 cal RBs and a Hornady plastic cup/sabot. Last night I began loading some in my 32-20 cases. I use 11.1 grains by scale weight according to their (powder manufacturer) load tables. Using smal mag pistol primers that load under a 115gr. Lyman 311316 sized .311 shpould give me 1400 fps at about 14,000 pounds of pressure. That's good enough for my old triple lock and my M52 carbine.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

A sample load and group at 100yds from my Buffalo Classic in .45-70:

Lee 459-500-3R- cast and left at .461+-.002 filled with simple lube from the forum. Projectile is 475gr.
    32.0 Gr BH209 under a 0.125" wad, pushing against a thin Bounty paper towel wad to separate the two since there is grease on the base:

Name:	IMG_1925.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	193994

With some practice and case annealing, this should improve.

shoe
    le ebin physics man

BH 209 is AWESOME in BPCR's

This is one of the best powders ever made for the BPCR and the high powered in-line muzzle loader.

The facts about the powder are that it is factory assembled Black Powder and smokeless duplex powder.

It is a nitro smokeless powder mixed in the factory with KIK black powder to make a clean burning, ultra accurate powder!

In BPCR 45-70, 45-90 etc you can even obtain single digit velocity spreads by topping the powder with filler like Cream-o-Wheat up to the bullet..I promise!

And this powder, Blackhorn 209, in the hands of Dave Gamble, just took 2nd place in the international, 26th annual, Quigley Rifle match in Forsyth MT!!!!! Shooting in some of the hardest shooting conditions imaginable out to 805 yards! This surely is the World Championship of Buffalo guns and the biggest match of its kind in the world!

647 guns, from 37 states, and 7 nations,lined up over two days for the the top prize... This is no small feat! Congrats Dave!
    Last edited by freedom475; 06-23-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12