RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone using blackhorn powder

Banned

anyone using blackhorn powder

just picked up a couple jugs of it. Sure isn't cheap but I hear good things about it. Anyone here have any real world experience with it?

Boolit Mold
    Use it exclusively in my H&R Sidekick. Burns clean but is hard to ignite. It will not ignite consistently with a vented or sleeved breechplug. I use standard 209 shotgun primers. BP primers are too weak. Cleans up easily with Hoppes or any other type bore cleaner. I make Ed's Red which works great. Some complain about a crud ring in the "chamber" area after multiple shots but I have never experienced that. With 90 grains under a 350 gr. Horn. FPB it groups under 2" @ 100 and has dropped every deer I have dropped the hammer on.

Perm-Banned
    thats all i use in my several side locks, my sons inline and my 2, 45/70/s. also use it in my two cowboy handguns. it is as accrate as real black, never have to clean between shots and the gun clean up easily when done shooting. i use mag sprark nipples on my side locks and hot 209 primers. remember it is 15 percent more powerful than real black so you can adjust your loads from real black. also when fired it leaves a very small amount of very fine dry dust in the barrel. this dust will aid in accracy from shot to shot and will help sabots load.im glad they invented it. real black is very very accurate but after years and years of wipeing barrels i really like to shoot now with out the wipeing. in my 45/70/s the accracy is as good as real black and not as hot as reloader 7 which makes it just perfect for me. i only shoot paperpatch in all my sidelocks and they load easily from shot to shot without wipeing. have fun.

Boolit Master
    Yes, in cartridges......38-40, 44-40, 38-55 and 45-70....No issues, works great.

Great powder but quite expensive. Recently tried new Black-MZ, which is American Pioneer, which is Jim Shockey powder..(I'm told all three are from the same factory)...Excellent performance and much cheaper than 209......
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Banned

thanks. Ive heard its hard to light off. Anyone have hang fires with 209s in real cold temps?

Boolit Grand Master

I have used it at -10 with 209's in a Remington ML with a Savage 209 breech conversion without any issues. I believe it is far and away the best of the subs in guns that use 209's.

I have never had a problem lighting it with regular 209 primers. I did however have problems with the ML 209 primers before I started using regular shotgun primers. We use it in a couple inlines at 60gr by weight which pushes a 240-250 gr sabot 44 or 45 bullet very accurate with light recoil. Also reduces the cost as well as buying it in the large jugs.

Can't say how many pigs and deer that load has taken over the years. We do not clean either one between Aug15-Feb28 which is our small game season where we can hunt hogs on public land with them since they don't corrode. With T7 I got a ram rod stuck between shots with a heard of hogs in front of me thanks to the crud ring which was the last time I used T7.

Perm-Banned
    one should never use shot gun primers made for muzzle loaders. they are weak and cost a arm and a leg. i get the hot shotgun primers and my accracy is x ring and the ft. per sec for the bullets are consistant and close. for my pistols the standard primer you use for 38 special and 45 long colt sets off the powder very well. i used to have but sold it recently a side lock i built, 50 cal with a 1/23 twist. it shoots a 686 grain pp bullet. through the chrongraph it hung at 1200 ft per sec and only varied 1 or 2 ft diff. it was 80 grains by volume. 209 powder is great powder.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot it exclusively in my 54 cal inline. CCI magnum shotgun primers have never let me down. I shoot MOA groups with 325 Barnes in my Knight.

Boolit Master
    If I had to shoot anything other than REAL BP I would find another hobby.
    Not knocking anyone, just my feelings. Fly

Real Black and Blackhorn 209 are fine. What I will never use again are Triple Se7en and Pyrodex.

Boolit Master
    Anyone tried BH209 with a starter charge of T7? I like that my guns all need just Rem #10's, but hear great enough things about this powder that I'd be willing to pony up the money for this expensive powder once to see for myself.

As it is I really like Olde Eynsford and Triple 7 powders for different reasons. It's only a pain at the range when I need to swab the bore after every third shot. I don't mind too much unless I'm on a range that goes cold often. They catch me when I'm pouring powder or some such and all I got to shoot was a handful of times. But it is what it is and I accept it as such.

Perm-Banned
    the 209 powder works fine with a very light charge of blackpowder under it. when i did it that way i used a 380 pistol case full of real black and the 209 went off every time. talked to a shooter from the eastern seaboard quite a while back and he said a lot of the flinters at his club use 209 powder with great results with a little real black under it. that ought to make all the flinters groan. when i bought my chronograph sometime back the results were very very impressive with the 209 powder. not much spread on the ft. per sec coming out of the barrel. i did notice that the first shot on a clean barrel was somewhat diff than all the follow up shots, with out wipeing the barrel. if one was going for a really good target group i would fire the first shot not at the target but from then on with out wipeing go for the group you want. the very fine dry dust the powder makes helps the accracy.

Banned

I shot 20 shots with it the 20th loaded as easy as the 2nd. Load was 100 grains with a tc easyglide sabot and a hornady 250 tipped bullet. the last 6 shots were a 1 inch and 1 1/16 inch group at a 100 yards. Clean up was a breeze. Hoppes on a brush 5 or 6 strokes and a couple patches and it was clean as a whistle. they have a new believer!!

Boolit Master

Another plus for 209 is the lack of corrosion compared to the other subs, others have claimed such but we all know how that really worked out! 209 is different and as I have mentioned in the past I tested it on a couple of "two dollar" BP guns, left uncleaned for weeks produced only a grey-ish coating that brushed right off and the only rusting was around the nipples from the cap residue and a small amount of rust near the back of the chambers in a cylinder also due to cap residue.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Buddy

I use it for loading vintage 45-70's. I like the clean burning nature of it, and I get excellent accuracy. And yes, it is pretty spendy...
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    This is good news to me, I am going to pick up some Blackhorn at lunch today. I am shooting an NEF Huntsman .50 caliber with 250 grain Lee REAL boolits. I've always had good luck with Bore Butter as a boolit lube and bore coating. Should I continue to use it with Blackhorn? Or should I switch to smokeless lube and gun oil for the bore?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Perm-Banned
    im still useing blackhorn 209 in all my sidelocks and my 2, 45/70/s. last winter i aquired a 45 long colt and i use it in that also. as far as a lube i paperpatch all the rifles with out any lube at all. the 45 long colt i use a 60 thousands stiff wad between bullet and powder. i do not lube the lead bullets i shoot in it. rheir is no leading at all. its a very very accurate powder and fills the cases in the cartridge guns. triple 7 can be accurate but the burnt sugar like crud ring is too much to clean. the thing around my area is 209 powder is very easy to obtain. why dont you try lee alox for a lube, its a great lube and bet it would help seal gasses so no gas cutting. should work with the 209 powder.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm going to use up all my BP compnents with T7 and then switch over. When I do switch LLA will be the first lube I try.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    just found blackhorn mz and started using it in my 577 snider (80 grain by volume). works great and EASY to clean up! love it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast