RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Tang sight for Chiappa 1886 45/70 lever action rifle

Boolit Mold

Tang sight for Chiappa 1886 45/70 lever action rifle

Ive recently purchased a Chiappa copy of the Winchester 1886 in 45/70. Fantastic gun, build quality is the best I've seen on any underlever and it shoots like a dream. Im looking to shoot longer distances and therefore want to fit a tang sight.
    Unfortunately non of the tang sight manufacturers currently include Chiappa guns in their parts / sights specifications so Im not able to find an off the shelf solution. As I seem to be the only person here in the UK with one of these guns no firearms dealers have any knowledge about them or the sights that might fit.

Chiappa say their gun is " an accurate reproduction of the original with the exception of 21st century technology". This doesn't really help as Im not sure if the screw threads are sized as the original Winchesters or to 21st century (metric) sizes. I have contacted Chiappa direct but they are not much help.

If anyone has one of these rifles and has fitted a tang sight could you let me know the make and all the part numbers, screw sets etc. The more information the better.

Thanks,

Mark1

Hey there Mark -- The Chiappa Winchester copy appears to have a "nekkid" tang - no safety. This should allow you to use any tang sight for the Winchester 1886 rifle. You may have to drill and tap your tang yourself if it isn't done so from the factory. You didn't say. Most of the 1886 sight bases incorporate the tang stock screw as a mounting screw.

If you go with a Marbles: The 9801 is the original 1886 unit. If the Chiappa uses SAE threads, the screw kit would likely be a 5019. If it's metric you might try the 5022.

If you go Montana Vintage Arms: Again the 1886 base. Shoot Cheryl an e-mail and check on the mounting screws. As they do Browning 1886's, they prolly have a metric tang screw set.

If they don't, you may get the Marbles screw set but will likely have to modify the screw head with a file whilst turning the screw (lathe/drill press).

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the information wind. There are two screws in the tang, The front one is threaded 10-36, the rear is not a threaded hole as such, a long screw passes through that hole and engages in the trigger plate in the underside of the rifle with a 12-28 thread. The holes are 2.18 inches centre to centre.

Im hoping to avoid any drilling and tapping as that's all a bit beyond me. I don't know what SAE threads are but I got the above thread sizes from Chiappa specs.

Boolit Grand Master

You just gave all the information you need to find a sight. Distance between the holes and the screw threads needed to mount the sight - slightly longer than the ones that are there now, probably. Check with Montana Vintage Arms and with Buffalo Arms and see what they can do for you.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

For tang sight mounting screws contact Sam Simmons. He makes them for just about any rifle and tang sight at a very reasonable cost.

Sam Simmons
    Simmons Custom Services
    email is hoxycarman@hotmail.com

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 92 Chiappa copy. Because of the cheesy sights I put a Marble tang that took the screw that came with the sight. The tang was threaded at the factory.

Boolit Mold
    Hi Mark

I'm about to put an order in for a Chiappa 1886 and was wondering whether or not you managed to get a tang sight sorted out. If you did would you mind letting me know what you went with in the end? I like the look of the Marbles improved sights as they have windage adjustment as well.

Thanks,

--Ian

Boolit Master

SAE are American sizes (what you have)
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Mold

Chiappa 1886

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Hi Mark

I'm about to put an order in for a Chiappa 1886 and was wondering whether or not you managed to get a tang sight sorted out. If you did would you mind letting me know what you went with in the end? I like the look of the Marbles improved sights as they have windage adjustment as well.

Thanks,

--Ian
    Unfortunately 'other things' got in the way of me progressing this so I didn't get around to buying a sight, its still on my 'to do' list. The Marbles improved sights do look the best option. I was concerned that the bead on the front sight is very small, compared to say the sight on a Marlin. I'm not sure if this would have an effect on the choice of Tang sight. Unfortunately there are not any shops around here that actually stock the Marbles sights, they seem to be mail order only so theres no option to try before you buy.

Mark

Boolit Mold
    Hi Mark

No worries mine's turned up now so I'll probably look into getting one. I'll let you know how it goes.

--Ian

Boolit Mold
    Ian,

Glad your rifle has turned up, let me know what you think of it once you've given it a shoot.

Are you in the UK or America, I don't think there's many of them here in the UK.
    Mark

Boolit Mold
    Hi Mark

I'm in the UK. Rifle is very nice, reasonable accuracy with the standard sights but I now have a Tang Sight on it (haven't tried it yet). The sight I bought is a Marble Arms 009801 which comes with three eye pieces and the correct screw set for the Chiappa 1886 is 995019. You have to remove the standard sight as well which is easy enough to do (there's a very small screw to undo and then it drifts out) and you can get a nice insert from Brownells that's a good fit and looks good (080000193).

I'll let you know once I get to try it with the tang sight

Regards,

--Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post

I was concerned that the bead on the front sight is very small, compared to say the sight on a Marlin.

I'm not sure if this would have an effect on the choice of Tang sight.

The front sight makes no difference when using a tang peep sight, as the tang sight can be adjusted vertically to match the iron sight's line-of-sight.

The rear barrel sight, however will interfere with getting a clean/clear sight picture when using the tang sight.

Instead of removing the rear barrel sight & replacing it with a dovetail slot filler blank, however, a much better option is to set up the rifle with dual/two zeroes - using the same/issue front sight blade.

To effect this, though, the rear barrel sight will need to be replaced with a folder, if it doesn't already fold down out of the tang sight view.

In use, the open/iron barrel sights are zeroed for a relatively short range, and used for suddenly-presented shot at a relatively close range - like 50-75 meter's.

The tang sight is then zeroed at a longer range (say, 150-200 meters), which is useful for game or targets far enough away to allow ample time to switch over the sight used.

I hunt with the barrel sights & the tang sight folded; when game is spotted further away, there's ample time to simultaneously fold the rear barrel sight with the forward hand while the hand on the rear grip raises the tang sight.

Boolit Mold
    IanD,

Have you tried you tang sight on the Chiappa yet? I was hoping to get one that doesn't require the existing rear sight to be removed, so I can switch between the two in needed. Was that possible with the tang sight you purchased? I would appreciate you letting me know how it worked out.

Regards

Mark

Hey again Mark -- You might consider a Marbles folding rear sight with windage to compliment your tang sight. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod26039.aspx

They come in three heights to compensate for the height of the receiver over the barrel. There is a pretty good step on my Henry Golden Boy as you can see in this picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aHNG2gF.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	192320 click to embiggenate

They are a nifty sight.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind