Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Forming 30-40 Krag to 40-70 SS questions

Boolit Mold

Forming 30-40 Krag to 40-70 SS questions

I have some 30-40 Krag brass that I need to form to 40-70 SS. I have about 90 cases already formed by the previous owner of the rifle. I have already blown out the case mouth to .40. Now how do I stretch the brass to 2.495 to 2.500".
    Do I keep firing the brass with a media such as corn meal with about 7-10 gr of a pistol powder? Am interested in all opinions. I do not have a lathe as some suggest I need to stretch the brass with.
    Also, what about the same for 303 British? I know that 303 is shorter than 30-40 krag. Interested in all opinions.

Boolit Grand Master

How much do you need to stretch it to get to 2.500. Ideally you want to go to 2.505 - 2.510 so mouths can be trimmed square. Expanding cases up will shorten them also. Buffalo arms offers a press operated case stretcher I believe.

Just use Hornady .405 cases
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    Stretching cases is a chore when you need .020 not .200.

Just buy .405 Win brass and make it work.
    EDG

Boolit Mold
    I'd just load them and shoot them as is - they'll stretch on their own over a few firings.

I've tried to form from .405 brass, and at least for my chamber/rifle cannot make brass formed from .405 Winchester work.
    Dave
    ----------------------------------------
    The only good thing about being imperfect is the joy it brings to others!

Thing is, recently neither Krag nor 405 brass has been available. Buffalo Arms has Krag cases to fit several versions of the 40-70 SS chamber. They are a tad short but should work well enough until Jamison gets around to making another run. I have been using BA 40-70 SS brass in a 40-70 Ballard which has a larger base diameter. I lose about 30% to case splits on first firing but after that they are reasonably hardy.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Looks like Captech ( Jamison ) may have some
    http://www.captechintl.com/proddetai...od=4070SS20pcs
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Bub
    Or you can order some 40-70 St. cases from Midway. They are made by Bertram in Aus. I got 2 boxes a few months ago and they beat the stuffin out of making my own out of anything! They are a bit pricy though, about $60.00 per box of 20 casings.