Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: who ownes a OLD Remington 760 GAMEMASTER

who owns a OLD Remington 760 GAMEMASTER

mine dates back to 1952. handed down throughout the family... doesnt look like its ever been heavily exposed to the elements. its chambered in 30-06.

i saw a few pics of dear great grandpa shot on his trips. dad never actually shot it on a hunting trip but he loved shooting it.

has anyone acquired one over the years and have anything positive or negative to say about it?

the wife dropped a bombshell on me the other day and said she wants to go hunting/camping. ( like travel,hunt for a few days) so its going to be the only gun we pack, besides our carry guns...
    Last edited by LAKEMASTER; 08-24-2015 at 06:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    Yes, I have a 300Savage from 1952 as well. I like them and have found another from 57, a basket case, and built a 35 cal with a scope. Nice rifles and quite accurate as well. Those who require a great trigger will be disappointed, but overall not a bad trigger. Blued steel and walnut, shoot it and enjoy!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

mine has a cheap bushnell banner on it... if we get serious about reloading and hunting we will change things as needed. it seems like the banner scopes have really improved since 2010 ish. i feel good about mine.

I have two. One in a 30/06 and the second in 35 rem. The 30/06 is my everyday carry gun for deer. They carry as nice as any rifle out there. They are accurate, dependable and fast to your shoulder. I cut my barrels down to 18".

i need to get a sling for mine. the leather one sat to long without oil

Boolit Grand Master

Every one in PA has at least one family member that owns one. I have one in 35 Remington that was my grandfathers. Every Uncle has one. And friends all have more than one in the family. I swear this state is the reason that Remington kept producing them.

I know my grandfather would want me to hunt w/ it. But I can't do it. It's the only firearm of his that was handed down to me and it would be heartbreaking if I broke it. I still take it on hunting trips but it's my backup rifles backup :laugh:

Personally I'm not really a fan of them. They handle well in thick woods. But I prefer a lever action.

did you cut the barel down to make it a more compact brush gun ?

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Every one in PA has at least one family member that owns one. I have one in 35 Remington that was my grandfathers. Every Uncle has one. And friends all have more than one in the family. I swear this state is the reason that Remington kept producing them.

I know my grandfather would want me to hunt w/ it. But I can't do it. It's the only firearm of his that was handed down to me and it would be heartbreaking if I broke it. I still take it on hunting trips but it's my backup rifles backup :laugh:

Personally I'm not really a fan of them. They handle well in thick woods. But I prefer a lever action.
    my great grandfather hated his wife and children,grand children,and great grand children... so the gun holds more sentimental value that my dad handed it to me then the fact its been in the family for, well, who knows long.....

come to think about it, everyone who i show mine to freaks out that its a pump 3006. a avid hunter friend of mine wanted to buy it from me when he played with it, but he was into hunting at like 400-700 yards so idk if he would have liked it.

The Rem 760 Gamemaster has won I don't know how many World Deer Running Championship Shoots in Scandinavia. Very lethal
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Moderator Emeritus

AKA the Amish machine gun. Fun but not necessarily accurate.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    i own two, the 308 and the 30-06. both shoot 3/4 - 1" at 100 yards. my dad has a '06 and he only shoots 180gr rn from remington, 1 1/4" at 100 yards. my dad's best buck was off hand, close to 200 yards and two shots on the shoulder grouped around 2". i think that makes it real accurate!!!

Boolit Master
    760 Gamemaster from early 70's 30-06 likes reloads little hot. Pushing 150 Sierra BT at 3100 + FBS. There a jumper at the bench better hold the forearm. They will smack you if you don't.

Only thing I truly dislike is the noise the forearms makes. The metal rattle if you tap is just so.

I pick up a older 760 like one your talking about for the girls if they choose to use it. She a little rough and may cut the butt of stock to fit them.

A good scope and factory ammo they will shoot 1.5 - 2.5 inch groups at 100 yds.. They can shoot under an inch with the right load. 1.5 being average group.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    760 Gamemaster from early 70's 30-06 likes reloads little hot. Pushing 150 Sierra BT at 3100 + FBS. There a jumper at the bench better hold the forearm. They will smack you if you don't.

Only thing I truly dislike is the noise the forearms makes. The metal rattle if you tap is just so.
    on the first comment. For the second comment, a small green twig of about 3/16" curled just at the tip of the forearm in between the forearm and the barrel lightly will cure that ailment. It will fall off when you rack the neckst shell in, IF YOU NEED A NECKST SHELL.

I have seen one ragged hole three shot groups with those rifles. Loaded hot though the barrel heats up quick and the fourth and fifth shot start to wander in which ever direction the barrel likes. I never put more that three in the clip or one in the tube and two in the clip. An older range officer at the local DNR range told me a old indian proverb a couple of times, "One shot, probably deer, Two shots, maybe deer, Three shots, no deer." Or, at least with a good shootin 06 anyways.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master

I had a late 50's 760 in 270. Best shooting rifle I had shooting through irons. It was a bit reluctant with hand loads but after using a RCBS small base die it was as slick as butter. I'd still have it but was offered a near cherry S&W Model 28-1 in a straight across trade.

As an interesting side note. The Remington 760 in 30/06 was adopted and in the arsenal of many FBI offices for several years. I was told by a retired Postal Inspector. Many police depts. adopted the 760 as it was easy to train cops that had prior extensive training with the Remington pump shotgun.
    Last edited by azrednek; 08-25-2015 at 02:50 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have one given to me by my Grandfather, no idea how old it is. I shoot mostly cast over 2400 through it, it needs parts that I can't seem to find.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Hunter View Post
    it needs parts that I can't seem to find.
    Have you searched the net?? I found an oddball ejector used for one year only on a Remington 740. Wish I could remember the name but there is somebody that makes and sells hard to find Remington rifle parts. I'll look through my email and see if I can locate the name of the vendor.

Boolit Master

Here is the page off of Remington's website of vendors that sell obsolete and discontinued Remington parts. I got the oddball ejector from Jack First in South Dakota.

http://www.remington.com/pages/suppo...s-dealers.aspx

Lakemaster, yes I cut to make it more compact for brush hunting and to keep it from snagging on low hanging tree limbs when it is on my shoulder. Being 6'-2" tall, a long barrel sticking up over my shoulder catches everything. Mine likes 165 gr Sierra HPBT bullets. When I first got the 760 in 35 rem, the first stop was the the vise and a hack saw. Cut it, re crowned it and loaded some RCBS 35-200's. It shoots very well.

Boolit Master

Great gun. It kicks. You may want to load up a few casts for your wife unless she likes recoil. Or get the Remington 125 g for her.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast