Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Whats a good price on a Win model 94 30-30?

Boolit Master

Whats a good price on a Win model 94 30-30?

In the market for a 30-30. Had a Glenfield, wasnt to hip on the microgroove barrel, and lucked into a trade at the local place on my blot action stevens in 30-30. But its become a bit of a specialized weapon now, so looking for a regular 30-30.

LGS near me, has a Win model 94, don't know much about win, never owned one before. Its not new, but sure looks near new. They want $449 for it, is tapped on the top for a scope, but don't plan to use one.

I just wasn't very impressed, seemed a bit 'loose' the handle banged around a bit, just not a very tight weapon, maybe just way their made. Cant be a high round count as new as it looks.

Boolit Master

My son picked up his recently at a pawn shop for $300. It was used with some bluing wear, but solid and tight (for a '94!).
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    The newer Win 94 AE (action express) haven't impressed me either. Prices run around $500 in good condition. The older used ones are also running around $500, which confuses me. Seems the collectors are buying everything for the last 7 years. Prices are just now dropping. I've seen a couple used, older marlins at the $300 mark, but the Win are holding higher.

My suggestion is to wait for an older, NOT-AE marked one. Best of luck.

Boolit Buddy
    I think $400 is the standard for a good 94. More if it is special, less if not so nice. Good luck. Wallacem in Ga

Boolit Master
    Just picked up a really good shooter for $200. Receiver is freckled but the barrel has good blue, made in the early '70s.

Banned

$200.00

Show me ANY lever action Winchester for $200, and I'll go pawn something to get it!

Boolit Master

Keep in mind that there are several generations of Winchester Model 94 carbines and rifles.

Before spending the money, make sure your selected specimen is within the price range of it's generation.

Good Pre-64 Winchester 94s have the highest tariff.

Model 94s made between 1964 and 1968 are often a mess, although one will actually shoot pretty well now and then. They are often identified by broken cartridge carriers, spotted finish on the receiver, very plain wood and broken firing pins. Personally, I'd steer clear of one of these.

After 1968, Winchester stepped up their game and corrected some of the stupid Harvard MBA CEO decisions made at the top and started making good rifles again. A serial number will confirm the year made.

The Angle Eject versions are fairly late comers to the line and are well worth considering. Seems like I started seeing these in the 80s at some point. As you note that your carbine of interest is drilled and tapped (factory I assume); I suspect that it may be an Angle Eject model and probably worth the asking price your LGS is asking.

Don't worry too much about a lever that seems loose or wiggles around. It's part of the design as the lever drops down on opening to activate a cam in the drop down Link that helps with both extraction and chambering. With Model 1886 and 1892 Winchesters this is not the case and Marlins have always had a lever pivot point well below the receiver to help things along and thus they don't have that Loose play that Model 94s have and that some find annoying. It's just part of the design and doesn't (probably) mean anything is wrong.

Stop in the LGS, note the specific model (Antique, Angle Eject, etc.) and serial number and we can probably help you out with more authority than what we can now.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 08-23-2015 at 09:09 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I think someone on the scout these days for a decent 94 Pre or Post model should be very watchful of the gun shop racks and estate sales in their local. Be prepared to see those 94s made pre 1964 and in very good to excellent shape having a non-negotiable price set so high that in most instances it gives its prospective buyer sticker shock. Post 1964 model 94s in reasonably good condition (which means one having a tight action) perhaps could be found selling for 3-500.00 ($)__ My suggestion. Look seriously for yours just after Christmas & the New Years Holidays thru April or May. There after being found in a store their selling price is usually "Whatever the market will bare" for the rest of the year.
    Last edited by OverMax; 08-23-2015 at 08:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ill be by there today to get gas, look at the numbers on it.

Boolit Master
    Its an angle eject. Ser # 5485140

Boolit Master
    That AE rifle your looking at according to its serial #s. My resources list it as built in 1987.

Boolit Master

Well there you go. It should be a good one. Perhaps you can talk down the price a smidgen.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Their usually pretty good on price, always treated me fair, no gouging during the ammo shortage.

the 94AE's like all 94"big bores" and pre-64's have forged receivers, they are generally solidly built rifles

As a note there are Non-AE "Big Bores" and if you see one of them for less than a grand GRAB IT

AD