Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old E powder

Old E powder

well I finally got some funds to play with so off to "powder inc" I trailed here on the puter. I ordered 1 pound of the 2Fg old E ... then later I ordered 2 pounds of the 3Fg Old E. this among the other powder I ordered to make the shipment.

got the orders in a very timely manner rite to the door as advertised. very cool and way mo betta then my search for "other" blackpowders in the fine state of Alaska.

upon playin with the 2Fg powder and my double 12 gauge shooting balls with and without patch's ... I found that the 60 grain charge is WAY more energetic then the regular GOEX 2Fg I been playing with. cleaner and easier cleanup but my ... stuff shoots like the 80 and 90 grain charges with the regular 2Fg powder.

is this the consensus of others experience with the new "Old E" powder?

Boolit Master
    I've not used standard Goex or any other BPs, but I can say that my POI and group sizes are the same with both pistols compared to Triple 7 with the same volume powder charge. And the chronograph results I've seen state the same thing, that they are comparable (Swiss also) with the same volume of powder.

Triple 7 claims their powder is 15% more energetic than BP. But in Mike Beliveau's testing of T7 compared to standard Goex showed that despite his 15% reduction and mild compression, neither of which is necessary, the T7 loads were still WAY more powerful.

Reduce your volume and compare your sight-in zeros from prior with Goex. You may only need 50 grains Ole E' to group similar placements to your former Goex target holes. Yes, your new powder is more powerful - plus it's cleaner. Best part is, you will use less and get more shots out of each jug.

Boolit Man
    My experience with "OLD E" has been about the same. I have only used "OLD E" FF and FFF in .58cal muskets and compared to the other powders I have used (goex and grafs) it shoots so clean, I dont think I would shoot any other powder. I also order from POWDER INC. those folks are great to deal with, real straight shooters.

Banned
    yep, old eynsford is like swiss, very powerful. 90gr olde eynsford 2fg is about equal to 100gr goex 2fg when i tested it over a chrony.

Boolit Master
    I'm wondering how barrel length may influence things. From what little I've seen (mostly pistols) shows that standard Goex would need quite a bit more than a little extra to compete.

Boolit Grand Master

Can't recall now whether I had Fg and FFg Goex or Curtis and Harvey many years ago but I found that both were dirty and did not produce very good results in my .58 and 12 ga. so went back to FFFg for everything. The Fg was waaaayyy to slow and dirty even for 12 ga. Might do okay in a punt gun or cannon.Old E and Swiss seem to get good reviews so may perform better with the larger granulations. I have never been able to get either.Longbow

Boolit Master

I've been shooting quite a bit of both 3F and 2F of Olde E. I really like the 2F seems very good compared to 2F GOEX cleaner and a bit more velocity. The 3F is a whole different animal myself and several fellow shooters have had a problems with it blowing patches is all kinds of rifles where we normally used 3F GOEX. It works fine in pistols with their light charges but in everything else the charge has to reduced a great deal to keep the patch intact. I'm talking 15 to 20 grains of powder reduction in powder charges and a tight ball and patch combination. But once you re-adjust it seems to shoot very well and clean too. I might add that usually shoot a heavier charge than most and go strictly for accuracy I am not a bang and clang shooter and avoid the novelty matches like the plague!

RB

thanks for all the reply's. I am getting some great info here and after I finally got into the swing and ordered my first and second batch of powder ... now I will never have to go on the search for powder and I do like this "OL E" powder. I need to back way off in my charges and start fresh with them and work into a good load for everything. it is just that much different from standard GOEX so far.

I might add that this is the powder ive been looking for as it burns with a damper fouling and way less of it.

Boolit Master
    I've been using OE and like it fine.

It's not a matter of how clean or dirty your powder burns, however. No, Grasshopper. Rather it is a matter of whether you're using enough lube with it to keep the fouling soft enough that it doesn't accumulate. To wit;
    http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=8975.0

Quote Originally Posted by Omnivore View Post
    I've been using OE and like it fine.

It's not a matter of how clean or dirty your powder burns, however. No, Grasshopper. Rather it is a matter of whether you're using enough lube with it to keep the fouling soft enough that it doesn't accumulate. To wit;
    http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=8975.0
    well sir I bow to your opinion and allow that there be good points as well ... however I am not new to this BP thing as I began in the 70's when a young man. I hate to say but this OLD E powder IS the powder I been lookin for for a bunch of years. it DO indeed run a bit cleaner then any other I have used ... AND it seems more damp then crusty dry then the regular powder I have used.

not meaning to begin a dispute there MASTER ... but this powder IS all that for this pilgrim. it does not come without some fouling and gunk however when compared to other powders [including the PYRO stuff] I believe this is more powerful as well as cleaner burning and leaves behind less fouling so far in my experience.

I followed your clip and learned nothing new ... srry ... ~ ... ~

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    stuff shoots like the 80 and 90 grain charges with the regular 2Fg powder.
    Ted, here's why:
    Olde E FFg Grain Ratios:
    20 mesh - 62.81% Hold
    30 mesh - 32.32% Hold
    40 mesh - 04.27% Hold

50 mesh - 00.60% Hold
    60 mesh - Trace

Goex 2Fg, 99NO03B
    20 mesh - 79.2% retained
    30 mesh - 20.8% retained
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    @John: If I understand correctly you are saying the Olde E if finer and falls through the screens of tighter weave?

Ive "heard" they used better charcoal in the Olde E.

@John: If I understand correctly you are saying the Olde E if finer and falls through the screens of tighter weave?
    Yes
    Ive "heard" they used better charcoal in the Olde E.
    No - still using maple for charcoal from the same vendor
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    No - still using maple for charcoal from the same vendor
    John ... do you know what kind of maple they use and when it is harvested?

Ted:
    * No to when harvested because their charcoal is subcontracted
    * Yes, Goex has used for many years yellow maple - again subcontract purchase
    Not using aged Alder Buckthorn like Swiss does under strict char-coaling procedures is one of the reasons Swiss is a much better powder than Goex
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    But Olde E compares favorably to Swiss. Some have even stated they switched, though maybe that's due to the cost difference. With the same volume of powder they both give very similar velocities and deviations.

Banned

swiss 1-1/2f for bpcr is SO good, dunno if i'd even be tempted to mess with any other powder.

it's all good for all of my ml long guns, and i use 3f in both goex and swiss.

Good black powder is recognized based on it's velocity and fouling control.
    * Old E', the latest retail powder based on my testing has a high velocity because it is on 'steroids' because of the fines added to normal standard grades. The fouling control compares to Swiss
    * Swiss and KIK, the only powders on the market made with charcoal from Alder Buckthron - the best wood with the highest creosote and glucose
    * My powder of choice is KIK. All grades compare to Swiss for velocity. As for fouling control, IMO no powder on the market is better than KIK
    Example: 50 consecutive 38-55 reloads with KIK 1.5fg & FFg - shot with no blow tubing or patching. Picture is the fouling control for these 50 shoots ... one water soaked cotton ball and 4 dry cotton balls ... again, after 50 consecutive shots!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Regards
    John

Banned

jb - how's the pricing on kik and where's a good source?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast