RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 LC in Various Weapons

Vendor Sponsor

Don't overlook SPG lube for smokeless either b/c it works great for me with the 454190.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Don't overlook SPG lube for smokeless either b/c it works great for me with the 454190.
    Agreed, SPG is actually a good smokeless lube in addition to being an excellent BP lube. Even longtime users are sometimes surprised to hear that.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    TXGUNNUT, I've been fighting the BS with the 45LC for decades and it seems that there are more morons than I can take on. I even had one tell me that the term was used to tell the difference between the 45ACP. I almost fell over with that one.
    If you go back on this forum since 2007 you will find that I've been involved in many of these fights but the non-informed take it over and I just get tired or my BP becomes too big to go on with the discussion.
    When you have people in the field of firearms use the improper term, then it just adds fuel to their fight. I had one guy that I challenged to show me a box of 45LC ammo from the factory. He showed me a box of reloads and said here is my proof.
    The days of having the historians and real gun writers who know that the use of 45LC is incorrect are fast coming to a close. I can't believe that there will come a day when no one is left to stand and say YOU ARE INCORRECT USING THAT 45LC, It's just 45Colt!! Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

For the OP's question, your limiting factor for an "all around load" is your SAA clone.
    You'd be very well served by 8.5-9.0 grains of Unique under about any 250-ish grain .452-.453 bullet.
    The along with the .38 Special, the .45 Colt is among the easiest rounds to get great results for most reloaders.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master
    OP, welcome to the world of 45 Colt - probably my favorite cartridge !
    Blackhawk
    Smith 25-5
    Anaconda
    Win Trapper
    Uberti Henery
    American Derringer (ya, don't shoot that much !)

Below are my 2 favorites. Left is RCBS 45-230 CM, Right is Mihec SAA 45-270.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0005d.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	147769

7 - 7.5 g Win 231 gives 750 - 800 fps
    Sized .454 and lubed with Carnuba Red shoots well in all my guns.

The only issue I have is the case is ginormous ! Hard to see the powder down the case, I use a powder checker.

Enjoy !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't get upset about the 45LC misnomer but I'm pretty sure I have seen it on a box of factory ammo from some boutique ammo company. That doesn't make it right. I used to use the term "45 Long Colt" to aggravate an old friend, he knew I knew better but he fell for it every time, lol. He's gone now but every time somebody uses the misnomer I'll gently correct them and remember my old friend. If they'll listen I'll even tell them the story of how this nonsense got started because most folks that use the misnomer 45LC have never heard of the 45 Schofield. If they're still listening I'll tell them about the true Long Colt cartridges and tell them there is no 45 Short Colt so there is no need for a 45 Long Colt.
    I suspect the misnomer lives on partly due to what I call magnum envy with the 44 (43) Mag, but that's another topic.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Mine are in 44-40, but as my Uberti Henry is a brass frame like your yellowboy, I consider it the determining factor. I like 13g of IMR 4227. I use a 200g RNF in the Henry, and a 250g Keith style in all of the pistols. A quick visual keeps me from making a switch mistake, and I can use the RNF in the pistols if I wish.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master

Checked out the local cowboy range today and holds promise. A bit laid back which I enjoy. They arent a strict SASS group... Received my Rossi 92 on Friday and spent a few hours this evening slicking up the action...what a difference it made (spring kit on order). BUT my 1866 action is pure butter comparatively speaking.... Looking and considering all the advice given guys wholeheartedly. Appreciate all the comments and as a research guy I weigh every statement made carefully. Keep 'em coming!
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    Checked out the local cowboy range today and holds promise. A bit laid back which I enjoy. They arent a strict SASS group... Received my Rossi 92 on Friday and spent a few hours this evening slicking up the action...what a difference it made (spring kit on order). BUT my 1866 action is pure butter comparatively speaking.... Looking and considering all the advice given guys wholeheartedly. Appreciate all the comments and as a research guy I weigh every statement made carefully. Keep 'em coming!
    Remember, there is no such thing as a "strict SASS group." Historical authenticity is *not* the goal in SASS. There are some approved and unapproved firearms for use; however, the approved arms are not strictly historically correct, and neither are guncarts or some costuming requirements or leather requirements. I seem to remember the manual stating something about how a shooter can pursue authenticity if they desire, or "Sunday at the matinee," etc. There is a group called NCOWS that demands authenticity in all things. They are more of a reenactment group and take period correctness to a much higher level. But I like SASS!

Bottom line: Read the shooter's handbook (available on their site) so you know what is allowed and what is not allowed.

SASS is all about having fun, while doing the things we did as kids when playing Cowboys and Indians, like the movies and TV shows that were popular in the 1950's and '60's, and even into the early '70's. There is a huge emphasis on safety.

Boyd Davis, aka General Ulysses S. Grant, SASS #2, was one of the founders of SASS and was a very close friend. We spent every Christmas with him and his wonderful family for the past 7 or 8 years. Unfortunately, he passed away this past November. "The General", as everyone called him, always emphasized that they started SASS to have fun, period. The founders, known as "The Wild Bunch", had been IPSC shooters prior to starting SASS, and they didn't want to get into the big prizes, etc. that have a tendency to spoil the other shooting sports for the average shooter who seldom wins, but still wants to shoot for the fun of it. He used to say, "SASS shooters are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet", and he was right.

SASS isn't intended to be training for anything, unlike some of the other venues. It's strictly about the fun of getting together with a bunch of other like minded people and having safe fun while shooting steel targets with old fashioned style firearms. My wife shoots Great Western II's, and I shoot Ruger Blackhawks for handguns, and we both shoot 1894 Marlin rifles for leverguns. We both shoot original Winchester 1897 shotguns. Her shotgun was manufactured in 1899, and is a solid frame, while mine is a later takedown, made in 1954.

The loads are light on purpose, since we're shooting steel targets at fairly close range. (no target is so close, or so large, that it can't be missed!) Full power loads produce lots of lead splatter, and nobody likes to get peppered with lead fragments, so that's the reason for less than full power loads. Some refer to them as "mouse fart" loads, but that's not true, since some targets are knockdown, and a load that's too light simply won't knock a steel target down, which would be a miss, even though it was struck, but didn't go down.

Like mac266 says, read the shooter's handbook and it will explain a lot of the game.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know about sass commraderie (sp). The more people I meet, etc... If I ever shoot bp in my Colt, and or clones again I'm saving the last round for me. I also like a soft alloy, I mix lotsa lead with a little
    WWs. I shoot bullets sized to the throat diameter. The Uberti's are 452s and my Colt likes .454+. The Remington swaged .455s work great.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mac266 View Post
    Remember, there is no such thing as a "strict SASS group."

There is a group called NCOWS that demands authenticity in all things. They are more of a reenactment group and take period correctness to a much higher level. But I like SASS!

Bottom line: Read the shooter's handbook (available on their site) so you know what is allowed and what is not allowed.
    I beg to differ on that.

We have 4 CAS clubs in my area. Two are SASS, one NCOWS and one independent. All have a different flavor about them. The SASS clubs tend to adhere to the now popular "close and fast" philosophy.

In NCOWS, marksmanship is emphasizes with targets farther away and/or smaller. NCOWS seems to be more black powder friendly they make more use of the inherent advantages and disadvantages of the individual firearms. For example, tube magazine shotguns are not limited to 2 shots like in SASS except in Wild Bunch matches. Pistol reloads are more popular, picking up misses are more popular, therefore top break pistols are more prevelant.

As for authenticity, you won't see highly modified "race guns" at an NCOWS match. You DO see more original and unusual firearms. Both SASS and NCOWS have categories that demand a high level of costuming. I have never been challenged by either camp for wearing zippered jeans or lace up boots.

I rub shoulders with top shooters in both worlds. The reports of strictness vary from club to club and get more strict in the larger competitions. It's no different than any other sport.

That said, most monthly club matches are quite laid back. Sure there are individual rivalries and other things going on, but most shooters are there for the fun of it.

I have seen many accomodations for new and disabled shooters. It really warms my heart how wonderful the CAS shooters can be.
    Last edited by Ken in Iowa; 09-07-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Boolit Master

Loaded my first rounds this weekend for these weapons using the rcbs 45-225-cav. Overall length of 1.594 and selected 8 gr unique as a starting point. Was also my first try at my rcbs pro 2000 (first progressive period) i picked up used last winter.

Thank you RCBS for great customer service sending me missng parts!

Hardness right at 9.5 bhn according to the cabintree. I sized .454 originally but was a bit tight in the New Vaquero. Ran another batch through sizer at .452 and they chambered just fine in the Ruger. Keeping the 454 though for other three. Just need to get a chance to test 'em out now.

Oh and i have since added another 45 colt. Gentleman on thr sold me a conversion kit half price (plus parts) for my uberti 1858 and I jumped on it...lol! I may have issues...but I am a single man and consider these guns my retirement fun....i meant fund...

Ordered some NASA lube yesterday as well so looking to try bp soon. But I do have an 1875 Outlaw in 44-40 that may be a better candidate for it.
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 09-29-2015 at 09:47 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12