Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357 Mag/Hornady 158Gr HP/XTP Universal load?

357 Mag/Hornady 158Gr HP/XTP Universal load?

357 Mag/Hornady 158Gr HP/XTP Universal load with Starline Brass.

I am looking to load a universal 357 Magnum that can be used in any pistol made for the round and was wondering about the powder charge weights. I currently have H-110/W-296,2400,Unique,TiteGroup powders on hand?

Yes I have reloading books but in the spectrum of charge weights listed for powder I was not sure what charge weight to pick.

Thank You.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

for powder i would pick 2400
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

I used to use Win.296 for all my .357's but then i tried 2400 and now I use both. Sooner or later I'll pick one over the other.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    for powder i would pick 2400
    +1 on #2400. I always used 14.5 grains with a 158 Jacketed, about a grain below published max. in most of the manuals.
    Magnum primers NOT necessary.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thank You Outpost75 for informing me of the charge weight. Of course I am still open to opinions but I guess to many this is simply a dumb question lol. And yes I am probably over thinking it.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Buddy

I use 14.0 / 2400. Works well in my rifle also.

Boolit Master
    I like 2400 quite a bit but it's second place compared to either 296 or H110 (same powder). I use 16.7 grains, a max load. You should start at 15.0 and work up to see what your gun likes best.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my experience H110 and 296 are good ONLY for full-charge loads and the charge cannot be reduced without getting into problems. The advantage of #2400 is that it can safely be reduced to .38 Special +P levels, about 10-11 grains with 158-160 grain cast bullet in .357 brass, and ballistic uniformity is still acceptable.

#2400 is also suitable for reduced loads in .30 cal. rifles using cast bullets, something you DO NOT want to do with H110 or 296!
    On the low end about 12 grains, 1200 fps, works well with a heavy, plainbased bullet such #314299 used without the GC in the .30-'06, whereas about 16 grains for about 1500 fps is a fairly standard target load with any standard weight 150-210 grain gaschecked bullet in the '06, .303 British or 7.62x54R and if alloy, lubrication and bullet fit are correct, you can increase the charge up to about 20 grains for 1800 fps. without loss of accuracy.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Jester -

Howdy !

IMHO -
    WW296 / H110. Hogdon's minimum charge listed WW296 and the 158 jacketed is 15.0gr

Lead boolits:
    My favorite .357Mag load ( handgun & rifle ) for 4 decades has been: 14.5gr WW296 + SP Magnum primer, and a .357" cal Lyman SWC of 158 - 172gr.

The 158gr bullet wt jacketed load and a similar 158gr " boolit " load are pretty close on charge wt.
    IMHO - a minimum load of WW296 as quoted, oughta be close to what you seek.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master
    Jester, I'm guessing that since you specifically mentioned Hornady 158g XTPs you were looking for a magnum load, not a lighter/plinking load for your gun. The 296/110 are still your best powder for magnum loads with very uniform velocity, great accuracy in good guns, and will make those XTPs do what they were designed to do. Yes, you can load your gun down but then it's giving up doing what it was designed to do. Are you looking for magnum loads or just any powder that you can use to shoot reduced loads?

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Jester, I'm guessing that since you specifically mentioned Hornady 158g XTPs you were looking for a magnum load, not a lighter/plinking load for your gun. The 296/110 are still your best powder for magnum loads with very uniform velocity, great accuracy in good guns, and will make those XTPs do what they were designed to do. Yes, you can load your gun down but then it's giving up doing what it was designed to do. Are you looking for magnum loads or just any powder that you can use to shoot reduced loads?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^AGREE^^^^^^^^^^ H 110 is my magnum powder for 357 @ 15.5 is a accurate load in all my 357s ; )
    H/D

Boolit Grand Master
    15.7 H-110 and Sierra 158 grain JHC worked extremely well for me. As a bonus, the same load under a gas-checked Lyman 358-156 is wonderfully accurate. I have not used the hornady bullet, but Hogdon lists 15.0-16.7 grains for that bullet. I use this powder charge with all .357 level 158-165 grain projectiles.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

For jacketed bullets, I'd use the H110. Hodgdon lists 16.7 grains as max.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

As far as .357 magnum loads are concerned I think the 2400/296,H110 argument is a continuation of the old Ford Vs Chevy thing. My experience has been max loads of both powders are very accurate and in the same velocity ballpark. My personal preference is 296/H110 for that duty but I've used enough 2400 in that application to know it works as well. Try them both if you can find the powder and see what you think is best for you.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    What I am trying to do is find a Universal load that I can use in my S&W Stainless Steel pistols from a 2" snub to a 6" of which some of them are of the older design.

The reason I asked about the type of Powder to use is I will try and load these on an RCBS Piggyback II with the RCBS Uniflow and the Hornady Powder drop system as I would like to get uniform powder charges.

I like W-296/H-110 as I have a good supply but I am not sure how uniform it will charge the cases as compared to other powders.

Boolit Grand Master

The fine ball configuration of W296/H110 flows like water through powder measures.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Jester,

I use a heavy load of H110 with the Hornady 158 grain XTP in four different Smith & Wesson 586 and 686 revolvers and it is very accurate in all of them. None of the four revolvers averages more than 1.25 inches for five, five shot groups from a Ranson rest at 25 yards and one of the 586s will do that at 50 yards. The Hodgdon website lists a starting load of 15.0 grains and a max load of 16.7 grains with the 158 grain XTP bullet.

Your original post notes that you are stymied by the wide range of charge weights given by the various reloading data sources and want someone to give you their pet load. I would advise that you always begin with the starting load from a current reloading manual or manufacturer's website and work up from there. The load I currently use is from an older source and exceeds Hodgdon's current recommended max but the powder I am using is as old as the data and the load has shown to be safe in my guns. I also have current production H110 and when the old powder is gone I will start all over again with the load development, just to be safe.

I don't think you will find a pistol powder that meters more accurately than H110/296. Like you, I use a Piggyback II to load my .357 ammo but use a Hornady powder measure with the Powder Drop system instead of the RCBS. Once the powder measure is set, each powder charge is dead on. I generally stay a few tenths of a grain under the max load as a safety precaution when loading pistol ammo on a progressive press but have found that H110/296 meters so accurately the precaution is unnecessary. However, I recommend you confirm for yourself the accuracy of your powder measure system before loading max charges.

I use baffles in all my RCBS and Hornady powder measures and highly recommend them.

Gus Youmans
    Last edited by Gus Youmans; 08-24-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've been able to obtain 1# of 2400 in the last 6 years or so. If you have a good supply of 2400, that'd be my choice.
    However, I am able to find Titegroup almost all of the time and it's cheaper (around here) than 2400. If I wanted to load up a lot, I'd go with Titegroup---unless I had plenty of 2400. I'd just hate to work up an awesome load only to run out of the powder and have to start over again with another powder.

Out of curiosity, has anyone here used Blue Dot for the 158gr XTP's?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Youmans View Post
    Jester,

I use a heavy load of H110 with the Hornady 158 grain XTP in four different Smith & Wesson 586 and 686 revolvers and it is very accurate in all of them. None of the four revolvers averages more than 1.25 inches for five, five shot groups from a Ranson rest at 25 yards and one of the 586s will do that at 50 yards. The Hodgdon website lists a starting load of 15.0 grains and a max load of 16.7 grains with the 158 grain XTP bullet.

Your original post notes that you are stymied by the wide range of charge weights given by the various reloading data sources and want someone to give you their pet load. I would advise that you always begin with the starting load from a current reloading manual or manufacturer's website and work up from there. The load I currently use is from an older source and exceeds Hodgdon's current recommended max but the powder I am using is as old as the data and the load has shown to be safe in my guns. I also have current production H110 and when the old powder is gone I will start all over again with the load development, just to be safe.

I don't think you will find a pistol powder that meters more accurately than H110/296. Like you, I use a Piggyback II to load my .357 ammo but use a Hornady powder measure with the Powder Drop system instead of the RCBS. Once the powder measure is set, each powder charge is dead on. I generally stay a few tenths of a grain under the max load as a safety precaution when loading pistol ammo on a progressive press but have found that H110/296 meters so accurately the precaution is unnecessary. However, I recommend you confirm for yourself the accuracy of your powder measure system before loading max charges.

I use baffles in all my RCBS and Hornady powder measures and highly recommend them.

Gus Youmans
    Thank You so much for the information. But I have never loaded with the RCBS Piggyback. These loads will be my first since getting it set up. The only change I made was to eliminate priming on the press as I will do that separately.

I guess I worded things a bit wrong as I was leaning towards H-110 as I have a good supply and only a single pound of 2400 but I am not loading thousands of rounds. What my main problem is in a nut shell is Family lol. So I wished to load up 2 or 3 hundred just in case they wish to go shooting and use one of the .357 Revolvers. And to be sure that no matter which S&W they put them in that they will not cause harm to the revolver and still be pretty accurate.

So what I originally had in mind as you stated for a safety zone in a progressive press is to use the middle of the road suggested powder charge of H-110. But as you mentioned I will check metering and if it does meter very accurately then I will back off a few tenths for a bit of a safety zone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast