Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: LEE auto disk powder measure powder discs

Boolit Bub

LEE auto disk powder measure powder discs

I needed to throw a 2 gr Bullseye charge for a custom 9mm load, but none of the supplied powder discs would work if you used the information supplied by LEE in their powder/disc chart.

Heres what I did, I took a unused disc and filled one of the holes with "bondo"(go old auto body filler). After it hardened, I simply drilled a new hole with a #10 drill.

And wa la, a disc that drops 2 grains of bullseye. Every thing is still working great.

Any comments, good or bad!

Boolit Master
    Should work just fine.

Boolit Master

I have done similar, bought a new set of disks, epoxied up holes then redrilled them. I also bought this which works great.
    http://www.titanreloading.com/powder...n-micro-charge
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    I just bought one of the lee adjustable replacement parts.

In Remembrance

There's the LEE Micro-Disk kit.................
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I just bought one of the lee adjustable replacement parts.
    Are you talking about the adjustable charge bar? If so it won't work w/ really small charges. It's extremely inconsistent w/ small charges which is why they came out w/ the MicroDisk kit. Titan Reloading is making the kit, link above, since Lee broke their mold a while back.

You can buy blank disks and drill them out to size you want. You can also epoxy one of the holes shut, like the post above, and then drill out to the size you want. Regardless of how you do it just don't use the adjustable charge bar for small charges.

Boolit Master
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

I load 380 and the Lee micro disk is inconsistent. it will go along dropping the small amount and then it just stops dropping for a couple of rounds. So I like the idea of filling up a hole with epoxy and drill out to get proper drop. Great Idea.thanks, I can always come here and find little tricks and tips to get something done.

Boolit Master

I tuned my adjustable charge bar using these instructions: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/re...harge-bar.html
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    I drilled a hole in the side of mine's smallest cavity and made it adjustable with a set screw. Haven't tried as 2gr of BE, but it gets Titegroup down to 3gr reliably. Didn't have an extra disc to mess around with.

Boolit Buddy
    titan reloading is 3d printing the Micro charge disc setup that Lee broke their mold for and quit selling,I have one on order,,and will review. http://www.titanreloading.com/powder...n-micro-charge

you have to provide filler or shim to the fixed side opening of the charge bar in order to have the cavity when dialed down small completely under the powder canister for filling. Otherwise you will come up short of powder a lot of rounds. I cut a business card into a strip that would just fit. Couple of those moved the opening over just enough. Using JB Weld or something more permanent would be better. Have a modified "small charge bar".

You can purchase replacement disks for $5 so it would be reasonably inexpensive to buy one and epoxy fill the existing holes to bore out for specific loads especially small loads. The only real headache would be doing the math to figure out the volume of the cylinder created with a specific sized drill bit. And not getting too upset if the size was a touch too big with "that" powder so you have to re-fill and re-drill the hole. Really at $5 one could make a disk just for a certain caliber or powder. Disk with 5 holes could be for titegroup loads in 5 calibers or bullet weights. Or be drilled for 5 different powder loads all for the same caliber. E.G this is my 38 special disk drilled for titegroup, unique, and bullseye.

Hmm one more project but an interesting one.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Here you go

Yes, I did the same thing but it still will stop dropping about every 20 rounds. I just have to check each load to make sure I don't get a squibb. Thats why I like filling the disk and drilling it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    I load 380 and the Lee micro disk is inconsistent. it will go along dropping the small amount and then it just stops dropping for a couple of rounds. So I like the idea of filling up a hole with epoxy and drill out to get proper drop. Great Idea.thanks, I can always come here and find little tricks and tips to get something done.
    Use flake or any with flat granules, and that's going to happen with small charges. No matter what size the hole, when luck settles enough flakes down around the rim of the hole that hole doesn't fill completely. The smaller radius the hole the worse consistency the charges. And the more chance of squib charges.

No matter how any measure is "improved", if the powder granules aren't spheres and the cavity has a small radius opening, the possibility of squib and inconsistent charges is present. It's simple geometry period.

It's good sense to use ball/spherical powder for small charges no matter what has been done to any automatic measure. Or more exactly, to not use flake powder for very small charges.

I bought the Micro Disk that Titan is selling. It works great for my needs.
    NRA Life Member