Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best speed for a 350 gr. in 45/70?

Where is the "Like" button?
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    Where is the "Like" button?
    As far as I know there has never been a Like Button lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

just saying - motard's post would have gotten a like if we had a "like" button.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

I apreciate Your's appreciation

Whent at the range this afternoon for testing my first batch of boolits. 430 gr per lyman single cavity Don Shay design. The mould is suppose to drop 400 but with my alloy they come out havvyer. I dip lube per Recluse formula and registered 1510 average speed. No leading at all. And good consistency.had twice bullett in same hole. But at only 50 mt.

Boolit Master

Just have to say my Marlin 1895 45/70 Ballard rifling, is amazingly accurate. It thinks it is a bolt action rifle!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    I am currently using the Saeco #017 350gr GC bullet with 43 gr of Rel 7 which is the accuracy load listed in the Lyman Cast bullets book.
    In my Ruger #1 the accuracy is great..at 100yds
    The load is recommended for the Marlin and win 86 as well.

The speed is listed around 1700fps, and the recoil is tolerable..
    I am using Carnauba Red lube, and I get no leading..

I was using that load but backed it down to 38 grains pushing it around 1650. The harder recoil was a little much for my messed up shoulder and found the accuracy to be superb. I am pc'ing my bullets.

Lyman water dropped 457192 350 grain (45-75 Win. design) in my Marlin 1895 cross bolt safety 22" with ballard rifling, pistol grip and 1/2 mag.. 14.6 grs. unique and 1300 FPS. Very comfortable and cheap to shoot, plus I am hitting both a 16" (all the time)and 10" (almost all the time) steel plate at 200 yards. I am sure this would go clean through a deer past 100 yards and one would hear it hit with a thump. Isn't that enough?

Moderator Emeritus

Every gun is a law unto its own self, and what shoots in one isn't necessarily the best in all. My experience has been that all the powders I've ever used, which have been 2400, H-4198, 3031 and H-322 all worked very, very well, with all producing near MOA in my Mag-na-Ported Marlin Guide Gun. As to what's the best speed, IMO, that's only answered when you find a load that shoots best in YOUR gun. Whatever that powder is, use that, and don't worry if the velocity is 1300 fps. or more, except don't use a load whose recoil is too heavy for you to shoot well, and we ALL have some limit with that. Wherever yours is, just go with that or below, and wherever you get your best accuracy. Learn deer anatomy (easy with all the cutaway drawings on the 'net) and shoot sharp, and your load really won't matter all that much. A bullet with a good sized flat is probably a bit quicker killer. As a friend of mine once said, "You can load it with jacketed or cast, ash trays or feather pillows and it'll STILL kill whatever needs killin'." That really pretty well sums it up, but again, the only caveat is that you've got to PLACE those bullets where they'll do the most good. Do that, and you'll be eating venison, or most any other kind of meat you're after. That's my 2 cents' worth, anyway.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    If you are going to hunt deer and black bear using 3031, just make it easy on yourself and the gun. Load down around 1400 fps. I used 42 grs of 3031 and a 400 gr bullet in a Sharps for years.
    Pretty close to my load! For 20 years I've used 42gr of 3031 behind the RCBS405, which weighs 420 out of my mold. From my 26" 1886, I get 1512fps and with open sights, can cover a 3 shot group at 75 yards with a nickel. As yet, I've not seen a bull elk that can stop this bullet, having had an exit wound every time.

Boolit Master
    For several years I've used a trapdoor load of IMR3031 & a 400gr lead bullet. I've chronographed it at 1088, it's very accurate, fun to shoot, little recoil, but does leave some unburned powder in the bore. The unburned powder hasn't been a problem & it's accurate enough & fun enough to not worry about a bit of unburned powder.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Bub
    I shoot the marlin 45/70 gbl, with the ranch dog 460 350 grn tbl, with 43 grains of reloader 7 1550 fps at 800 feet above sea level, and 1780 at 9000 feet. I've killed 3 white tail deer and one cow elk all shots under 100 yards iron sights. this gun and load will put meat in the freezer. accuracy is unbelievable.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longrifle View Post
    I shoot the marlin 45/70 gbl, with the ranch dog 460 350 grn tbl, with 43 grains of reloader 7 1550 fps at 800 feet above sea level, and 1780 at 9000 feet. I've killed 3 white tail deer and one cow elk all shots under 100 yards iron sights. this gun and load will put meat in the freezer. accuracy is unbelievable.
    longrifle,
    That sounds like a nice load. I like RL7 myself, Results are what count & if it's working for you use it.
    Someone said not all rifles like the same load & we do have to find what our individual rifle likes.
    Stay below your recoil tollerance, shoot well, proper shot placement is vital, & collect game!

Boolit Bub
    Bit of a necro post just wanted to say I have also been liking RL7. 46 gr with the Rd 350 in my 26in barrel CB gives me just under 2000fps with best 3 shot group .8 inches. It is stout on the shoulder though.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
    Bit of a necro post just wanted to say I have also been liking RL7. 46 gr with the Rd 350 in my 26in barrel CB gives me just under 2000fps with best 3 shot group .8 inches. It is stout on the shoulder though.

Sounds familiar.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I'll bet a 350gr bullet at almost 2,000 would be interesting to shoot. What it hit would likely find that's enough?

Boolit Master
    I tried a few loads for my 45-70 with 405 gr and 425 gr boolits, but when I tried the Ranch Dog 350gr TL boolit over 43 gr. of IMR-4198 sized at .460 I had the best accuracy yet from my Marlin 1895. I didn't chrony it, but was told it should be about 1800+ fps.

Oh yeah, boolits dipped in Felix lube.

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Frank V View Post
    I'll bet a 350gr bullet at almost 2,000 would be interesting to shoot. What it hit would likely find that's enough?

So far, so good.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    So far, so good.

Good going.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast