MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Anyone hunted with Mihec .462 Hammer HP Group buy?

Boolit Bub

Arrow Anyone hunted with Mihec .462 Hammer HP Group buy?

I cast some .462 309gr hollow-points today, using a Mihec mold from the group buy on this forum:

Has anyone tried these or similar bullets for hunting deer?

If so, how did it perform?

Load data/velocity experiences also much appreciated (I will always work up my own loads safely, of course.)

Thanks.

Boolit Master

I wouldn't load them fast. Shot into a soft dirt berm in front of a marlin load or slightly less of 4198, I only recovered the gas check with a wafer of lead, maybe 1/4" thick at most. Alloy was 50/50 Wheelweight / pure.

Brad

Boolit Buddy
    Go with the flat nose pin and I think you have a winner there. I think the hollow point would have a tendency to reduce penetration and ruin more meat that I care to waste

Boolit Master

Agreed. A flat point or the shallow cup point would give you better penetration and prevent meat loss.

Boolit Man
    I agree with the above posts, they won't work for deer so just pack 'em up and ship to me and I will dispose of properly

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Those are some dandy looking boolits ! Some of my HP's never look so nice...
    But cast from 50-50 you do not need that huge wide HP. 50-50 is going to expand on a coyote at 1100 fps impact speed. So figure a corn cruncher being 3-5 times heavier (in east central ILLinois ) then that HP is going to shed that nose real fast and the rest is going to keep on expanding till it gets slowed to 1000 fps or so. Hopefully there will be enough left to pass through and out. Hide is very elastic and will stop many a expanded projectile. The fatter they get thee harder it is to bust through that hide.

Now cast from WW and 2% tin and used for long shots on some unsuspecting table feast that would really roll them over to the next county. But again as wide as that nose already is you just do not need that HP. At most any speed above 950 fps that nose will collapse on impacting most anything solid. So again you would have a huge flat nose. But if impact speed is still high it may get through the other side.

There is the issue of an exit hole to consider. I want one. That is where the best leakage comes from. The older I get the less I enjoy crawling about on my knees trying to see a few little "spewing" red spots left by some bean eater who desires to not be on my menu. I want a well defined liquid trail that even an older slower tank crewman can follow walking upright and enjoying the warm sun (or cold damp frost). Yep I will take a clean through caliber .45 hole leaking all over the river bottoms any day. Again the only thing better is a caliber .51 hole from a lever flipping rifle.
    Mike in Peru

Rather than melt those down I would use them for "impressing the public" as to the awesome and explosive power of the 45-70. One gallon colored water (red my favorite) filled plastic jug at 25 yards smacked at 1500 fps. Talk about explosive fun ! And that 309 grainer at that speed does not hardly recoil enough to make even my 148 pounds shudder. Why fellow shooters will be lining up and taking numbers to get to fire this mild recoiling fire belching dragon slayer. Why the only thing better would be a 50-95 or a 500 Alaskan lever flipper spewing forth those fatter Tee-Rex slayers.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    I haven't used these heads specifically but when using .510 cast hollow points I find that they work best near subsonic. If you go too fast they just ruin meat. At these lower velocities I have had much better results.

Boolit Master

BBMAN, what gun, what cartridge, what purpose?
    I use .466 diameter in my 577-450 MH.

Thanks
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

WOW, Those are the prettiest boolits I've seen as the other have said 45-70 crowd pleaser ...solid for the dinner table
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangbangman View Post
    I cast some .462 309gr hollow-points today, using a Mihec mold from the group buy on this forum:

Has anyone tried these or similar bullets for hunting deer?

If so, how did it perform?

Load data/velocity experiences also much appreciated (I will always work up my own loads safely, of course.)

Thanks.

Nice boolits and mold ehh?
    I have not used the 462 but I have used the 44 cal version both in 265 gr and 300-320 gr.
    I shot one whitetail 2 years ago with the lighter one did a real nice job.Hunted with a SBH shot was 72 yds.One shot.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    BBMAN, what gun, what cartridge, what purpose?
    I use .466 diameter in my 577-450 MH.

Thanks
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

I'll be using my Marlin 45-70 Cowboy to hunt deer and boar.

Boolit Master

Should do just fine.
    Might disrupt some meat on the deer, but it will be a dead
    deer and you should have one heck of a blood trail IF it moves at all.

You going to use 40.0 grains of 3031?

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub
    I haven't decided on a load yet. I have mainly Vihta Vuori powders (N130 most likely choice) and Reload Swiss (TR140 probably ok but a little slow).

Boolit Master
    I would use them but load to around 1000-1200 FPS that would be enough to take either of those animals cleanly. It's like the Devstator HP it works really well on deer from my model 29 at 850-1000 FPS.

Boolit Buddy
    G'Day
    Don't shoot them too fast as you'll be shocked by the explosive effect. Look at the stunned look on Camp Buddy's face after shooting a Brushtail Possum (in all fairness it was about to charge).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15 sep 2014 018.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	148375
    Juddy

Boolit Buddy
    G'Day
    Just remembered one of my mates shot a Fallow deer with a Hammer I'd cast. He was using 16 grns of trailboss and here is the recovered boolit.

Name:	29 may 15 148.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	148386
    Juddy

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramslammer View Post
    Look at the stunned look on Camp Buddy's face after shooting a Brushtail Possum (in all fairness it was about to charge).

Name:	15 sep 2014 018.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	148375
    Juddy
    To be fair, the possum looks more stunned.