Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Leather Carving Project

First Leather Carving Project

I've been making gun leather for about 6-7 years. This is the first time I attempted to carve any of my work. I need a smaller basket weave stamp but I learned a lot and had fun.

The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Looks like good work to me! 'Jealous here!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Man
    very nice!

Mighty Fine work, although the initials are all wrong...mine are WH.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Thanks everybody for the compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by waarp8nt View Post
    Mighty Fine work, although the initials are all wrong...mine are WH.
    If you have any 20:1 or soft lead to trade I could make you one with "WH". PM me and we can discuss details!
    Last edited by Djones; 08-17-2015 at 07:08 AM.

Looks beautiful! What weight of leather did you use?
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Bub
    Nice job, I also work with leather from time to time and I have made dozens of holsters and such but the whole tooling art concept seems to be beyond my meager capabilities. Do you use a stitching awl or a machine, I usually use the old 2 needle saddle stich with waxed cotton thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 1989toddm View Post
    Looks beautiful! What weight of leather did you use?
    I want to say about 6 ounce leather. It was from an old side I had under the bed in a stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerngunner View Post
    Nice job, I also work with leather from time to time and I have made dozens of holsters and such but the whole tooling art concept seems to be beyond my meager capabilities. Do you use a stitching awl or a machine, I usually use the old 2 needle saddle stich with waxed cotton thread.
    I too thought I was incapable of tooling or stamping the leather but is actually easy and a lot of fun. I too hand saddle stitch everything. Much more durable than machine stitching but very time consuming. Have a good weekend.

Boolit Bub
    I have a few stamps that I use and I haven't bought the basket weave set yet. I did buy a nice set of letters so I can at least put initials or names on projects. It seems like anything to do with guns will lead to another habit.You have yourself a good weekend as well.

I started doing my own leather work many years ago, I found using a small marble slab for doing my stamping on really helped with good clean impressions.

Perma-Banned

Nice work...and jealous, also. I would like to give leather a try, sometime.

Boolit Master
    I have been searching high and low. Those old WW2 shoulder holsters had a special kind of snap on them, I can find the posts everywhere, but not the actual snap. Any ideas?

Boolit Master
    Great job I like it .

Just finished these up.

Boolit Master
    Yes, the man can work leather ! 45/70 and 22 Hornet
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6661.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	149590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6663.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	149591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6664.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	149592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6665.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	149593

I wasn't sure how the Hornet pouch was gonna turn out, that's an awful bitty round.
    Must have taken some work, the loops work great !
    I really like nice stuff !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I have been searching high and low. Those old WW2 shoulder holsters had a special kind of snap on them, I can find the posts everywhere, but not the actual snap. Any ideas?
    This http://www.perfectfit.com/15333/Lift...Fasteners.html

or this? http://www.perfectfit.com/39290/1544...Fasteners.html

Boolit Buddy
    Looks good to me. I've been tooling since I was 10 yrs old and love every minute of it. Keep up the good work. Original work is the best.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

Moderator Emeritus

Very nice work, D! I like the single snap version best, but that's just personal preference. The double snap version has to be more secure for your reserve ammo, the single snap just a dab quicker, and I just go for the quicker, usually. Good to see someone trying different things. When I do stuff like this, I usually try to give myself a chance to be wrong, just to see whether or not I was right to start with. Experience is the only real proof we'll ever have, really, and the only way to obtain that is by trying different stuff. And FWIW, I'd MUCH rather have a real hand-crafted piece of work like yous than an off the shelf sample that was made with stamping machines, machine sewn, etc. Your stuff has real CHARACTER and personality, and that is something that makes work like yours more and more valuable and appreciated as the years go by.

Leather always impresses me. They found some leather from shoes on the Titanic after all these years that was STILL intact! At the depth it sits, there's very, very low oxygen, so it's been preserved, but has NOT disintegrated like most of the other stuff that was down there. Leather is a very tough and resilient material that just flat works, lasts, looks good, and is satisfying aesthetically. It just doan git no better'n THAT! Excellent work. You should be proud.

Boolit Grand Master

I took a few leatherwork classes in High School, still have a few projects around. Seems like I enjoyed it, may have even been pretty decent at it. I really enjoy custom leatherwork, have a belt and holster coming from EP Saddlery and couldn't help but think about giving it a try again. These threads are not helping, lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I took a few leatherwork classes in High School, still have a few projects around. Seems like I enjoyed it, may have even been pretty decent at it. I really enjoy custom leatherwork, have a belt and holster coming from EP Saddlery and couldn't help but think about giving it a try again. These threads are not helping, lol.
    What gets you is when you need something and nobody has it you have to make it lol. I pulled out an Old Ka-Bar 5" Buffalo Skinner but I believe the blade was made by Green River to use for Deer and Hog and could not find a sheath for it. So I probably messed up and spent way to much since I have never done this before and went to my Local Tandy and picked up a piece of belly cut off leather and made the sheath. And now dang it I am thinking of making other simple sheaths lol. But now where is the cheapest place to find good leather? As I now have needles and thread.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast