RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Rossi 454 casull or ?

Boolit Mold

Rossi 454 casull or ?

Looking for opinions and thoughts. I am thinking about a 92 in 454 casull for a light carry woods gun. It will be used for deer and hogs is the plan. Would put a peep sight on it eventually. This rifle would also be used for a range toy as well with my wife and son shooting it.

I originally bought a 35 rem 336 with the thought of this same thing. After a lot of playing with the 35 it has been concluded it needs to be rethroated to shoot cast. I could do that but am not sure I want too after all the toying I have done with it. After a lot of thinking I am leaning toward 454 with the ability of 45 colt loads. Also thinking about a revolver in 45 colt.

Now I did consider a 44 mag but availability and price of a nice marlin is too much for what I'm looking for. Also the twist rate is poo poo. So just putting this out there to see what others think and maybe get some other ideas.

Boolit Buddy
    My brother owns a Trapper length, stainless Rossi in .454. I loaded up some heavy handloads for it, a 325gr LFN gas checked bullet at 2000fps. The gun seemed to shoot them fine for a while, though recoil was unpleasant. Eventually we noticed the magazine tube had pulled out of the receiver under recoil. He hasn't had it fixed yet but when he does we will likely discontinue use of the very heavy loads in it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Boolit Master
    .454 has treaded mag tube for that problem. As for the 16 inch versus the20 inch barrels I still can't wrap my head around this long barrel tangling in the "Pucker Brush". I think one hears a lot of "Monkey See - Monkey Do", writing. Its like these people leaving their cars and trucks running to go into the store or Handi mart. "BOB" is getting wore out, don't you think Mr. Barnes...........!

Boolit Buddy

I have a newer model w/screw in mag tube. This: https://www.underwoodammo.com/454-ca...eck-box-of-20/ is the only thing I've shot in it so far. It will cycle but the lever has to be played with a bit. I think anything shorter would work without problem. This has a bit of recoil. Your wife and kids may be tougher than mine but it is a bit much for plinking.

BF
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BattleRife View Post
    My brother owns a Trapper length, stainless Rossi in .454. I loaded up some heavy handloads for it, a 325gr LFN gas checked bullet at 2000fps. The gun seemed to shoot them fine for a while, though recoil was unpleasant. Eventually we noticed the magazine tube had pulled out of the receiver under recoil. He hasn't had it fixed yet but when he does we will likely discontinue use of the very heavy loads in it.
    My Puma Rossi with hot 44 Mag loads did exactly the same. Gunsmith that fixed it told me it was a common problem that was redesigned on later models. I stopped shooting the hot mag loads with a 260gr cast slug. Recently I've been shooting home cast in the 210-240 weight range and tamed the powder charge. Haven't had a problem with the milder hand loads.

Quote Originally Posted by sfauble View Post
    I originally bought a 35 Rem 336 with the thought of this same thing. After a lot of playing with the 35 it has been concluded it needs to be rethroated to shoot cast.
    I have my doubts about this. Good bullets from RCBS 35-200-FN should shoot quite well.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    I have two caliber 45 Colt Rossi's and am convinced if the 45 Colt cannot do what I think may have to be done I need a bigger gun or I will shoot it 5 times.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Man

Had the same issue with my Rossi 44 mag oct. barrel.. took it to a local machine shop, had him drill and tap the tube
    cap keeper a bit deeper, and with a more substatial machine screw..... for a couple of bucks... -0- problems....
    my 45lc. rossi no problems with ... and hits just as, or harder that the 44.... Son bought a 454 Casul pistol... for a Dangerous game back-up gun. Boy that will wake an Old Mans hand up.

Boolit Mold
    Tatume

If you have any suggestions on the 35 please take a look at my thread here
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...y-35-Rem-shoot

I would like to hear your ideas if you have any.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    .454 has treaded mag tube for that problem.
    There's the rub...I'm pretty sure his does have the threaded mag tube. He hasn't got it apart yet but the first glance suggested the threads had stripped right off pulling the tube out of the receiver. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Ford View Post
    ... it is a bit much for plinking.
    Actually, we have found it quite the delight for plinking, loaded with .45 Colt cowboy loads.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Boolit Master
    Apparently there are a few different mods to the mag tubes on the 454 92s. On mine the inner mag tube has a tang on the end cap that turns into a notch that is cut into the underside of the barrel. I do not believe there is any way this can move under recoil. I shoot mostly the Lee 300gr (actually 312gr) at 1950 with no problems. My friend has one that has the threaded outer tube that pulled out stripping the threads on the tubeusing the same loads as I do. Rossi replaced it no charge but it doesn't look near as stout as my setup. My wife enjoys shooting mine with a 260gr cast at about 1200 fps.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BattleRife View Post

Actually, we have found it quite the delight for plinking, loaded with .45 Colt cowboy loads.
    Yeah but after spending the hours scrubbing the ring that 38 Spls left in the cylinders if my 357s I decided that if I want to shoot 38s or 45s, I'd get the 38 for the 38s and 45 for 45s.

BF
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

The 454 Casull can be loaded to 1000 - 1100 fps with 300 grain cast bullets using Unique, and is very accurate. Such a load will be much more pleasant than full power loads, but not as mild as 45 Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by sfauble View Post
    Tatume

If you have any suggestions on the 35 please take a look at my thread here
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...y-35-Rem-shoot

I would like to hear your ideas if you have any.
    At last I had time to read all of the posts on your problem; sorry it took so long. Yes, I have a couple of ideas. Please consult http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ for loading data.

First, get a box of Hornady 200 grain RN bullets and load the entire 100 bullets with the starting load of H4895. Since they are not available at Midway right now, I see no reason not to substitute 200 grain Sierra RN bullets, which are in stock. Seat them to the top of the cannelure and crimp lightly to medium, but not hard. Shoot all of them, allowing the barrel to cool often. Keep track of your groups. Don't stop, shoot all 100, and take a few hours to do it (so the barrel can cool). Let us know how your groups look, particularly the last five or so groups.

Clean the barrel.

Next get some well made bullets cast from RCBS mold 35-200-FN and lubed with LBT Blue Soft. I'm extremely busy right now or I would make some and ship them to you. I may be able to do it for you in a couple of weeks. Load them with five grains LESS of H4895. Seat them to the top of the crimp groove and crimp lightly. Chamber and extract a few, without firing. They should not engage the rifling. Let us know how your groups look.

Take care, Tom

P.s., size the RCBS bullets to 0.359"; if I cast some for you I'll size them.

Boolit Mold
    I am going to assume unless otherwise told your reasoning is to smooth out the rough spots in the bore and wear the throat in a little. Then after see how the boolits fit and shoot.