WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Quality of products from years ago

Boolit Grand Master

We have an old dayton electric hand drill that was my Grandfathers, 3/4" chuck on it steel case and heavy as all get out. We used to open the hitch pin holes in trycks up with it replace the screw in pipe handle with a long one to catch the tire. Set drill on a siccors jack and start cranking up. Never can remeber stalling it out. Not sure how old it is but it still runs great. Weve used it for many jobs and its never failed.

Boolit Master
    My go to circular saw is a "Mall" Saw that Dad bought new in the early 1950s. I replaced the power cord on it in about 1986.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Canning jars today aren't as good as old ones? I guess some people like to complain. I have a mix of old and new. Can't tell the difference besides the wear marks on the old ones. Also doesn't matter that much because the lids are what seal it up. Unless you bought a lot of them twenty years ago you're using new production ones. But honestly, it's a glass jar and they're cheap. Is there a reason to complain about them?
    Yeah I have dozens of boxes of very old canning jars and they are heavier and more tolerant of the heat, compared to the newer ones, hardly ever see one bust in the canner or chip around the mouth, has nothing to with complaining, it's an opinion. As matter of fact I see you posting your opinion on here all the time ...The ones I bought up 25 yrs ago and belonged to very elderly women and were quite old.
    Last edited by butch2570; 08-16-2015 at 10:36 PM.

I like old guns. fine cigars. good whisky of all kinds.old cars and old air planes. and new guns.cars.planes. good whiskey.cigars/ & fine woman.also any and all technology and hope to live another 25 years to enjoy more of it as it comes about.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

My mother worked for Goodyear Tire and Rubber during WWII. Roosevelt told the powers that be to keep the tire and rubber workers very happy, so Goodyear had a company store which sold items that were pretty much unavailable to the general public. Mother bought a Frigidaire reefer from the store in 1942 and it was still running when she passed away iin 1983. Sister gave it to her friend and 10 years later it was still running. On an aside, my mother would buy a tire from the store every Friday and get on the bus for home. She said she would sell the tire before she got off the bus. She claimed that's how she sent my dad to dental school after the war.

In Remembrance
    Personally.......here's my take on the old vs new.

Back when folks were geared on buying something once, and "IF" it broke the parts were available to fix whatever it was. Most of the time all it took was a working knowledge of what a socket wrench can do as well as a screwdriver. Things back then were pretty much SIMPLE.

Now we enter the electronics age........

Let's face it a car is a car, it gets you from point "A" to point "B".

There's so much electronics on them that it takes a $100K machine to tell the parts changer (AKA Mechanic) what to replace. With the way some folks are now..... that socket wrench and screwdriver are things they saw in a picture book growing up.

I just see it as things got overly complicated whereas things back in the day were "Basic".

I can go on and on but this is just the beginning as the newer age is pretty much geared on just buying another whatever.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234