Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best PB boolit for 357

Boolit Buddy

The best PB boolit for 357

I like big bore revolvers, but it's time to get all around shooter in 357. Since I do not have any 357 mold, I would appreciate if you help me to choose one.

The revolver I am going to shoot (do not have it yet) is S&W 686 Target Champion (or DX if I can grab one). What I need is the mold for practicing boolit, about 160 gr, PB, that you found is the most consistently accurate in various revolvers.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Onty
    Last edited by Onty; 08-15-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Try a 158 grn Keith style swc. It work for me.

Heck, try 'em all. That's the fun part.

If you don't mind going heavier, the 358429 works well in my dad's Security Six. My alloy puts it in the mid 170's. Next up is trying it in my brother's Colt Cobra.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Master

Lee 125RF, its accurate and it stretches the lead supply. It can also be used in 9MM.

Banned
    I am a .357 fanatic with several S&W's. The bullets that get the most use in my guns:

Lee 358-158 RF
    NOE 360-180 WFN

These shoot like lasers in my N frames, L frames and K frame. Sized to .358"

They also shoot excellently in my Marlin 1894CS, sized to .360".

Best of luck.

Boolit Master
    If it will cast big enough to size to .358, I'd say you'd have a hard time finding a current production mold in the 150~170 gr. range that didn't shoot well in a quality 357. As already mentioned: any Keith style, the Lee 358-158-RF, any of the NOE's, Lyman 358311. Your weapon may like some better than others. My Rugers really like the Lyman 358156 bare-bottom and the 358477.

My choice is a Hensley & Gibbs #51. It has a lube groove the size of the Panama Canal so you can drive them hard and still get no leading.
    Alos a Hensley & Gibbs # 73 is a VERY accurate bullet. Lighter than you wish but as ARIZREDNEK said it will stetch your lead supply, and it is a very cool looking bullet.
    Almost ANYTHING will be good if sized properly.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Onty-

If you're looking for a heavy weight, I'd look at the new Lee 358-200-RF; uncatalogued, mine cost $22 for the 2-cavity;
    appears to be a copy of the RCBS 35-200. HV

Attachment 146712
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since your original post specified a 160 gr. cast bullet ( + or - )
    This is my recommendation :

My friend Steve wanted to try some of the NOE 358156 Plain base bullets in his Rossi, 357 Mag. lever action rifle.

He loaded them in 38 Spec. cases. He used 11.0 grs. of 2400.

He shot this group with my bullets at 100 yards with factory sights.

Not bad UUhhhh ?

I have a 2 cav. aluminum NOE mold that drops these bullets at .360 " with ACWW's and is very consistent in weight from cavity to cavity. This is a mold that is certainly very easy to use, the mold has about a 3% - 4% rejection rate..

This mold has a deeper lube groove than the Lyman 358156. It certainly doesn't seem to harm it in the accuracy dept.

Boolit Grand Master

My all around favorite 2 have been mentioned already, 358429 and the NOE 360-180 WFN. I find the 358156 above to cycle better in my Marlins when compared to the 358429. It's shape reminds me of a mini 45-270-SAA.

Banned

another one for the 358477.
    it has plain out shot well for me in my revolvers.

Boolit Master
    The most accurate boolit I have for my GP 100 and my Marlin is from NOE 358-135 FN. In 38 or 357 it shoots great. I don't bother with any other molds anymore. Probably going to sell them.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master

My favorite 357 mold is a MP 359640. It's a 170 grain solid but was also run as a hollowpoint. It runs flawlessly in an 1894C. It's by far the most accurate bullet design I have in this caliber. I routinely shoot it in a 586 pushed by a healthy dose of H110.

For plinking I use another MP mold, 359125. It's 135 grains as a solid. Nice accurate low power round that goes easy on the lead and powder.

I still haven't found a reason to use a gas check w/ a 357. No leading in an 1894C where the velocity is higher than the revolver. Even w/ max loads of LilGun, no longer use it, there was no need for a gas check.

Boolit Grand Master

I own a bunch of 38/357 moulds, the one that seems to be winning the target accuracy tests is Lyman #358432-160 , this mould comes in two different weights 148 grain and 160 grain, same number -you have to look at them to figure out which one is the 160 grain version. It's a 160 grain ,button nosed, full wadcutter ( the design is like a 148 gr. WC on steroids) . It is a plain base.
    I didn't expect much from it , thought the famous Kieth 358429 170 grain SWC would be the most accurate....it wasn't the 358432 beats it out in my model 66 S&W fitted with a red dot sight for testing. It's a heck of a good design that few people know about.
    I found mine on ebay but NOE may be making a similar boolit mould....if not it would be a good idea!
    This design shoots so well I keep an air-weight J-frame S&W snub nosed revolver loaded with them whenever I'm afield. I have no idea why this boolit is so accurate out of a 2 inch J-frame...but not going to question it, just be happy!
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 08-15-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Dan View Post
    If you don't mind going heavier, the 358429 works well in my dad's Security Six. My alloy puts it in the mid 170's. Next up is trying it in my brother's Colt Cobra.
    I like this one also.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

My favorite 357 mold is a MP 359640 have 2 of these
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master

I've used many, and they are all good. YMMV, but it is hard to go wrong w/357.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

I like the 358429. I also use the RCBS 150 grain. Both are the Keith type.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the original .357 Magnum bullet, the H&G #51.