Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Is flat black H.F. powder coating bad for bore

Boolit Man

Is flat black H.F. powder coating bad for bore

A friend of mine told me that flat black H.F. powder has an abrasive additive that is bad to shoot through a rifle bore. Is my friend just trying to burst my bubble when I think I`m on to something good.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    This has been asked soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times in the past, it should be a sticky!

It is not bad on barrels. No proof has ever been found or proven. It is only applicable with ESPC effecctively.

I use it all the time as do many others with no problems.

Your friend is full of it. Probably uses grease only and will never consider PC.

banger

Boolit Master

Coatings and Alternatives has to be the least searched, least read, and most misunderstood section of this forum.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Buddy
    This topic has been discussed, argued and debated here many times in the past.

People have made claims of problems with HF flat black. Yet out of the few who have honestly believed and claimed that position many more use it regularly with no problem.

In your friend's defense he may have read one of those earlier discussions and is simply trying to save you some grief.

However the topic, while laid to rest here, continues to live on as a wive's tale or urban legend almost. Bangerjim is steering you straight though.

I have had a HF powder coating set up and compressor for about a year and a half now and they are still in their boxes because about the time I bought them someone discovered the shake and bake method. After trial and error that method has been refined and it has worked well for the pistol and revolver boolits I use.

I have a bottle of HF flat black in my den and if I ever set up the powder coat gun and compressor I will use it with no fear on rifle boolits. No fear, that is, beyond any other urban legend that is stuck in my thick head. grin..............Mike

Boolit Master
    In an old post when this subject came up I re-slugged the barrel of one of my 1911's that has had thousands of powder coated bullets fired through it, just to find the answer to your question for my own peace of mind. I compared the new slug to an original slug before I started powder coating and out to .0000 I could not measure any difference between the two slugs. I can't tell you about HF matt black powder as I do not use that powder, but I can tell you that out of the dozen+ colors and two types of Prismatic Powders that I have used I have found no measurable barrel wear in more than a year. Wouldn't it be more likely that a lubed bullet would pick up dust, grit, sand, etc. on your tools, on your hands and whatever is floating around?

I used it and my .38 is now a .44

Boolit Master
    I color code different calibers so flat black is my .380 rn boolits for my mouse fart belly gun. I have pushed quite a few of em down the bbl of my postol, (keltek p3at), and bbl is no worse for wear. This has to be the cleanest way to lube boolits though. Super easy bbl clean up also. Use it w ithout worries.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    I used it and my .38 is now a .44

OP..........that was a joke.

Boolit Buddy
    I was one of the guys that posted on here about having problems with the Harbor Freight matte black. After several thousand rounds through a Springfield XD 9mm the first .75" of the rifling was gone from the barrel. I had used the bullets in several other hand guns but not to the same extent as that one XD and the others showed no issues. Springfield replaced the barrel on their dime wtih no questions asked so I don't know if it was a substandard barrel or caused by the coating. I personally am going to go back to the gloss colors and stay away from the matte black from now on. I would imagine that it is probably fine, but not worth the risk to me when it is just as easy to dump and different color in the hopper on the electrostatic gun.